Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-21-2005, 08:51 AM   #51
staff
Registered Member

Default Re: First Ride: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja® 650R

Glad I answered some of the questions. I understand the range question as well. Unfortunately, as it is with many press intros, (childish journalists that we are) fuel economy is the first to go. What with wheelies being attempted right out of the gate and less than legal speeds for the majority of the day.

But due to all the advancements in the engine design and fuel injection, I don't see why you couldn't get at least 140 miles to the tank. My moderately breathed on Bandit 1200 did as much. But don't quote me here.--Pete
staff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-21-2005, 09:10 AM   #52
Aero_Mongoose
Founding Member

If you guys need a beginner rider to help with the Ninja vs. SV test, I'd be happy to volunteer my services. As a rider of 8 months and ~4k miles located near LA (Palmdale) who can put a decent sentence together, I'd hope that I qualify. I can even volunteer my S2R for the comparison; with similar weight and power, did my extra 2.5k get me anything more than looks and a name?

Any takers?
Aero_Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:11 AM   #53
pattonme
Founding Member

Default How cheap do 'old' suspension bits have to get?

Blimey! Would it be so damn expensive to put 95-96 ZX6F forks on the damn thing? Nice 4-pot calipers and full cartridge forks. Even the 94-03 ZX6E(aka ZZR600) runs the exact same 4-pot calipers, rotors and a rebound adjustable damper-rod fork.

The cost difference between junk and middling stuff can not be much at all. The Z750 also got screwed. Maybe I should corner the market on ZR750/Z750/650R/SV650 to ZX6E/F upgrades.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:35 AM   #54
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: How cheap do 'old' suspension bits have to get?

My guess is that it's not a cost issue but a content issue. The marketing dept. wants to give the potential buyer a reason to consider the more expensive ZZR600.

The Chevy Cobalt doesn't offer as many options as a Corvette.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:53 AM   #55
spombe7
Founding Member

I agree that gas mileage is often not discussed by the media but we should change that. Aren't we wasting enough gas already and shouldn't all journalists take the lead to force the industry to build bikes that are powerful, as well as efficient? This is particularly true for a "commuter" bike. If you are correct that this bike can go 140 miles for a full tang, the gas mileage is only around 34MPG, and it sucks, in my opinion, as a Honda Civic can get better gas mileage than that.
spombe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:30 AM   #56
KLRer
Founding Member

I'm 6'3" with the right knee of a 115 year old. My KLR 650 is comfortable, but I don't see much else that would be except for other dual purpose or Adventure bikes. Maybe some cruisers, but I don't like riding that low to the pavement. Much better view on a 35" seat.

Triumph Tiger and KTM 990 Adventure are great tall guy bikes, possibly the Yamaha FZ1 too, although I think they lowered their seat height in 06.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:30 PM   #57
KLRer
Founding Member

Default Re: Need an SV comparison

But the Euro model has pod-like headlight that takes some getting used to style-wise and doesnt have a windshield as I recall. I like the Ninja 650R variation better than the Euro version--looks much cleaner from the front and offers more wind protection.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:08 PM   #58
flamingbuddhagirl
Founding Member

As a beginner who currently owns and loves the venerable Ninja 250, I definitely have my eye on this bike when I want to venture into more displacement. Being a 5'2" tall female I am just so excited that their is another option for me out there. I like the Ducati Monsters but would prefer Japanese reliability. Also, I like a fairing for the highway. The Suzuki SV650 only comes with a fairing in the more sporty version which has the forward leaning sitting position which I do not like for commuting or comfort with my limited reach.

But please let us know about the miles per gallon it gets! Add me in as another person who would like to know about the fuel efficiency of the 650R. The 60+mpg that my little 250 currently gives me on regular unleaded has me thinking I will never give it up for commuting. I'll just have to have a stable.
flamingbuddhagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:32 PM   #59
flamingbuddhagirl
Founding Member

Just be happy it's not a Brutale, which is rumored to have the fuel efficiency of anSUV. It gets about 20 mpg. That's absolutely ridiculous for a bike!! I fell so in love with the Brutale when I first saw it in person and fell out of love as soon as I heard about it's gas guzzling tendencies.
flamingbuddhagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:04 PM   #60
xseal
Registered Member

How does it compare to the SV for a club racing platform?

Sean?
xseal is offline   Reply With Quote