Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Rant: Put a Cork In It! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/3196-rant-put-cork.html)

BBD_Racing 12-19-2005 01:58 PM

Re: Rant: Put a Cork In It!

Although I don't share your taste (piped Harleys sound horrible to my ear), nor your migraines (bless you, dear girl, that sounds horrific), I do agree that loud pipes suck.

A little louder than stock (a few db) does sound good to me and is no louder than, say a big commercial truck. But ear splitting, wide open exhausts, particularly 2 into 2 cruisers, that cause conversations to stop in a manner reminiscent of a 737 taking off nearby ought to be punished.

A good punishment would be a stiff beating, but this is America, and we don't do that sort of thing. So fines would be nice. Given the easy money to be had there, it is a wonder why our nation's revenue generators (aka traffic cops) don't hand more such tickets out.

Oh and BTW, if you are one of those "loud pipes save lives" idiots, please save your drivel.

smithrob75 12-19-2005 02:18 PM

Yea, I totally agree. I think piped Harley's sound like a farting elephant, but hey I have taste so what can I say. It seems as though they're making a small fortune sell small pieces of bent metal for $500-$750 a set. Having bent a fair amount of metal in my day I can tell you the true cost of making those would be $45-$50 bucks absolutley tops, probably more like $25, add chrome plating for another $5 and you have a pretty good business model.

Also all the Harley guys talk about torque, torque, torque, and the pipes actually put a hole in the bottom of the power band.

Hutchinator 12-19-2005 02:21 PM

I'm going to have to agree with you Ashley. I hate it when the vehicle next to me can out do my radio (a testiment to the noise they make, not to my taste in music), rattle my teeth, or let me know they're coming a block-plus away, no matter the size or wheel count.

While I'm not opposed to aftermarket systems, I think they should be resonable. To my ear, tone matters for then sound. You will always be able to turn my head in your direction best when it sounds like your ride growls deeply rather than trying to blow my ear drums out; I walk (of run) the opposite way to save my hearing.

My two cent.

Then again, who doesn't turn thier head in Ashley's direction as she goes by??

Okay, $.03

FrankGrimes 12-19-2005 02:23 PM

The first thing I think of when I hear a loud pipe is 'dumbass', the next thought is 'clown'(read gabe's rant on why motorcycles aren't more accepted as transportion in the US)

As for the more power - read the GSXR1000 vs R6 article. You need more than a few HP to actually be fast.

Ever wonder why some people don't do 'the wave' when your out riding, its probably because they don't consider you a motorcyclist.

I really don't like loud pipes... could you tell?

eojmo 12-19-2005 02:52 PM

The noise factor is all about who is inflicting or who is inflicted by the racket. You may think your motorcycle sounds cool and your fellow neighbours and citizens are just a bunch of unappreciative whiners. Your opinion quickly changes when one of them rattles your windows and wakes you and the baby at some ungodly hour. Nothing can bring the point home quicker than spending a wad of money for a quite holiday, only to have it shattered by a bunch of idiots roaring around on unsilenced bikes.

Buzglyd 12-19-2005 03:09 PM

Well let's see...

Dearly departed MV Agusta Brutale - stock pipes yet still really loud.

H-D Geezer Glide - H-D touring mufflers, hardly louder than stock with nice mellow tone.

Ducati ST4 - Ferraci pipes set off car alarms. Only the clutch is louder. It just sounds so damn good I can't bring myself to quiet it down.

dean_1 12-19-2005 03:29 PM

Your right Ashley. I never thought of it like that before but loud pipes are rude. Unfortunately, just like common sense, manners cannot be legislated or purchased.

Gluge 12-19-2005 03:37 PM

I hate loud pipes.

What I don't get though is... what is the point?

1. They don't come like that so you took some time and probably some money just to make them louder.

2. Your risking a ticket

3. Isn't that annoying to the riders???

4. Annoying all the car drivers around you when your on a motorcycle doesn't seem like the smartest thing.

If I could I'd ride a silent motorcycle and I'd love it!

wwalkersd 12-19-2005 03:45 PM

I couldn't agree with you more, Ashley! Loud pipes lose rights, and they're just plain rude. Then again, so are lots of other things that are considered "normal" these days. Whatever happened to manners and consideration of others, anyway? I guess we threw 'em out in the "me" decade.

Re the migraines, my wife has found significant relief from hers using acupuncture. Find yourself a good (Oriental-trained, IMHO) acupuncturist.

sv1000rider 12-19-2005 03:59 PM

Hey loud pipes save lives. I don't give a flying squid through a windshield if you think loud bikes are rude. Loud pipes are my God-given right as is not wearing a helmet, riding around in my tightie whitie, man-titties-a-jiggling tank-top, going on bar-hop poker runs, and buying my first bike (a 1400 pound cruiser) at age 48. In fact, shut the hell up or I'll sick George Bush and his spies on your un-American, terrorist-supporting, tree-huggin ass!

(the above post is a feeble attempt at sarcasm)

longride 12-19-2005 04:14 PM

Everybody seems to have a beef against something. This just in. Lots of people are going to hate motorcycles anyway. They don't really need a reason. They could be whisper quiet, and many, many people would still want to ban them.

Our society at large has turned into the offended looking to ban the offender. A nation petty people easily offended by petty offenses.

Outcasts are the only thing that make life more interesting anyway. By the way Ashley, the rant was great, but I'll take the free beer!

Fenton 12-19-2005 04:46 PM

Re: Well let's see...

Took a little peek at the MV 910 at the San Jose show yesterday. Pretty.

I'll be in your neck of the woods in a couple of months. Up Manchester a couple of lefts, couple of rights. On the boarder of Rancho Santa Fe.

BTW, I felt up that new Duc you are looking forward to running around on.

sarnali 12-19-2005 05:35 PM

I don't like loud pipes either, I have Harley Touring mufflers on my Dyna that flow better than stock but aren't much louder and my Triumph had the same thing in the Triumph Off Road pipes both well below 95dba.

Straight through drag pipes only help at high RPM's, putting a straight pipe on a low RPM street bike is a power-robbing waste of money. Specially on Sportbikes, what idiot is going to rip off a factory Titanium exhaust and stick a Yoshi. or Akropovic full race system just because Nicky has one.

Same goes for Fart-Cans on Japanese street racer Sentra's and Civics, it was one of them pricks that clipped my Trophy so they don't get any sympathy from me.

Quiet is good.

sliphorn 12-19-2005 06:00 PM

1960's stock Brit bikes had it right in my opinion. They sounded like a proper motorcycle without being obnoxious.

snowcrash 12-19-2005 06:43 PM

Riding along on MINE, MY, first bike behind traffic, recently learning to allow a japanese 4 to rev higher than a twin and thinking how good it sounds, how the low burble and the occasional cough of an engine not even trying, just waiting to be called into action.

Behind me was a Ducati calmly responding to my movements always slotting into a position where she was not directly behind me and had maximum braking distance. Somehow she knew I thought hers was mine and when I saw her slide past me and overtake the sound was gone; along with me caught between follwing or moping.

I moped.

schizuki 12-19-2005 07:56 PM

"They could be whisper quiet, and many, many people would still want to ban them."

Many, many fewer than currently do.

schizuki 12-19-2005 08:09 PM

It's simple, really - if you have obnoxiously loud pipes on your bike, you're a narcissistic a**hole. Period.

And if you think your loud pipes save your life, you're a crappy rider, to boot. Avoid situations where you need to make noise to save yourself. If you still need to make noise, there's a button on your left handgrip labelled "HORN".

ebass 12-19-2005 08:37 PM

What a bunch of ...

... dust farting old coots! Why don't you all just take your incontinent bowels down to the local scooter dealership and leave the motorcycles to the young and virile.

Loud pipes not only save lives, they far more importantly part the endless sea of SUV-driving MILFS yacking on cellphones so I can lanesplit my way to Beverly Hills where I'll spend a delightful afternoon freaking out their poodles, setting off their car alarms (even inside the garages), and seducing their soon-to-be-legal daughters.

And yes, if any of them get migraines from my concerto in V-Twin major then I'll put that in the bonus column too!

(just kidding guys, I was only being sarcastic)

(Screw that, Pops! I was serious! Psyche! Geezers!)

Zakman 12-19-2005 09:11 PM

You know you bikes pipe isn't too loud when you sneak up on bicyclists on your Honda Pacific Coast.

den111 12-20-2005 12:30 AM

Loud pipes are bad for asses.

boru4761 12-20-2005 01:28 AM

Why?

I totally understand the quest for more power but why straight pipes? Anybody with some wrench time knows that straight pipes don't add enough HP on top to be worth the hole they punch in the bottom end. I have no problem with aftermarket exhausts. I just don't get the straight pipes thing. On anything, Sport bike, Cruiser, Ricer, Gigantic SUV with Altezza taillights, whatever.

BillyO 12-20-2005 01:39 AM

I own A "Geezer Glide" and a Duck ST2.Not bad for a 61 year old child.

Funny comment `bout Duck clutches.I brought that bike home when new and my wife asked why I bought a bike w/bad noisey motor.Tried to explain to her the marvel of dry clutches.

She would have none of it.Had to buy her off w/trip to Victria`s Secret for some see through

panties.They look nice on her 36 year thighs.

Spent the aftenoon "RIDING."

longride 12-20-2005 01:51 AM

That's your opinion.

maladg 12-20-2005 02:46 AM

Ashley, generally agree. In fact, I have not modified exhaust of any bike I've owned since Kerker was hot, new news. Which dates me back to paleolithic times.

But there is an aesthetic angle here, too. Yes, I detest straight pipe HD's, too loud in-line 4's, yadda, yadda. (properly muffled, slightly louder HD sound is great - I think Buell has that part down pat)

But someone pointed out that 60's Britbikes had it right - yes! Opened up Ducs are HOT. Uncorked Guzzis sound sorta like Nascar lite which is pretty ok. SV650's and 1000's sound pretty good with those pricey Staintunes and on and on.

Doesn't anyone recall Kevin Cameron mulling this a couple of yrs ago? He noted that some bikes sound better uncorked that others. He felt there to be a correlation between combustion chamber efficiency and good sound...the more efficient, the more stinky the sound. The - er - less efficienct the better the sound.

I'll keep my stock exhausts and spend my spare loot on good tires, premium suspension components and knowlegeable help to make sure I don't muck up the set up.

Not being an A$$hole isn't that big a sacrifice.

NevadaNez 12-20-2005 02:56 AM

Lordy—I guess it’s our age but the missus and I, we just can’t hardly stand to be around bikes that sound like a passing freight train. I ride to clear my head—and my ears—from the daily crap of a "civilized" industrial society and when I’m in the wind, I want to HEAR that wind, not someone else’s attempt at distorting or obfuscating it. Same goes for cars with subwoofers that blast bass so deep it rattles pacemakers in the local cardiology unit.

DonÂ’t it all jis boil down to respect? Funny how thatÂ’s such a big thing with so many today, yet when theyÂ’re violating the respect of others it doesnÂ’t seem to have any validity.

Ah, now I’m digressing and tangetializing too—have a nice, quiet and beautiful ride, wouldya?!?

03zx12r 12-20-2005 03:00 AM

A great way to quite it down without repacking you muffler....Turbocharge it!

m_t_yeo 12-20-2005 03:18 AM

It is, ultimately, about mutual respect but there is very little of that left in my opinion. It is officially cool to be rude, obnoxious and loud. Life is about being notorious, not about being admired like it used to be. Damn shame.

Buzglyd 12-20-2005 03:31 AM

You'll be about 5 minutes from me.

Will you be riding there?

The Sport Classics are sweet, no?

pplassm 12-20-2005 03:35 AM

Notice....

How nobody ever disagrees with Ashley?

roadpilot 12-20-2005 03:52 AM

Some of the best fun i've had involvod passing more than several HD's and wannabees with loud pipes on a curvy road while i was riding a slightly modded (still stock can) GS500. Their response was a feeble finger or two, twisted throttle grips, and still disappearing rapidly behind me. You like loud pipes? Just what are you compensating for? Spare our ears and just order those pills from that whistling commercial.

rsk173 12-20-2005 04:06 AM

You'd have to be a republican to like loud pipes! Liberals are never obnoxious.

electraglider_1997 12-20-2005 04:09 AM

I like quiet

I'll enjoy the day I can ride a whisper quiet fuel cell powered electric-glide. Puffing nothing but water vapor out some orifice. 150 ft-lbs of torque at zero revs on up. We ***** about loud motorcycle pipes but the real noise makers are the 18 wheelers. Not only do they have excessively loud exhaust but their tires make a constant racket that costs us tax payers a fortune. Notice how we have to pay for all the vertical slabs of cement that help abate road noise from the knuckleheads that live along side the major hiways. I live a mile from I80 but it is a constant drone when I walk outside.

Buzglyd 12-20-2005 04:17 AM

Re: I like quiet

You've been puffing nothing but water vapor out of your orifice for years.

ccd3 12-20-2005 04:25 AM

Solo?

teknoman 12-20-2005 04:33 AM

From a medical standpoint ,I feel for ya.Having a reanimated heart,when I get near the four wheeled boom boxes,I can actually feel the pressure on my chest,and cannot wait for the light to change!And this from a guy who plays guitar in a rock band!Certain sounds can trigger certain symptoms.The military [according to msnbc] is getting ready to use a sound weapon in iraq,like 250 focused decibels.I used to have a neighbor who rode his bike every day at 5:30am.How did I know?He had loud pipes and would wake me up every single day whether I was off that day or not.Thank God he moved to Alabama.

GrufRude 12-20-2005 04:41 AM

Loud pipes will cost us rights in the long run.

VERY disturbing incident the other day. I was riding to work on my whisper-quiet, bone-stock 1984 R100RS Beemer and saw a mom wheeling a toddler down the street in her stroller. As usual in such situations, I started to give the little girl a friendly wave when the kid reacted in horror and clamped her hands over her ears!

THAT kind of reaction bodes ill for all of us . . .

Fenton 12-20-2005 04:42 AM

I won't be on my bike. Life long friend moved down there and we manage to get together 3-4 times a year. Play a bit of golf at Loma Santa Fe and The Farms.

I looked for homes in that area a while back. Great place. Fairbanks Ranch wasn't exactly in my price range.

pushrod 12-20-2005 04:45 AM

Re: What a bunch of ...

Ebass,

Where have you been, man?

pushrod 12-20-2005 04:49 AM

Re: Notice....

I'd assume the reason is because we've all been trained to say, "Yes, Dear!"

Also, I think she is the ONLY female to post on this site.

eddyline 12-20-2005 05:15 AM

"They could be whisper quiet, and many, many people would still want to ban them."

Y'know, I just recently replaced the stock can on my R850R with a Remus GP w/premuffler. Yeah, I know: why bother?

Well, the main reason is: people ignored me on the road. I actually had people steer into me because they didn't have a clue I was there. That BMW *was* whisper quiet; the valve train was louder than the exhaust. It sounded like, as one of my HD riding friends used to call it, "The Dishwasher."

Now, I have a bit more top end power, the same bottom end torque(kept the same headers), and more low end sound, similar to a quiet Duc(but more clocklike), and cagers notice me on the road a bit more.

You're right, Longride: cagers who hate bikes will hate them regardless of what they sound like. OTOH, startling them out of their living-room-like, Barcalounging sleep while Navigating(TM) down the 405 or 5 is pretty damn dangerous....