Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Rant: Put a Cork In It! (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/3196-rant-put-cork.html)

BBD_Racing 12-19-2005 01:58 PM

Re: Rant: Put a Cork In It!

Although I don't share your taste (piped Harleys sound horrible to my ear), nor your migraines (bless you, dear girl, that sounds horrific), I do agree that loud pipes suck.

A little louder than stock (a few db) does sound good to me and is no louder than, say a big commercial truck. But ear splitting, wide open exhausts, particularly 2 into 2 cruisers, that cause conversations to stop in a manner reminiscent of a 737 taking off nearby ought to be punished.

A good punishment would be a stiff beating, but this is America, and we don't do that sort of thing. So fines would be nice. Given the easy money to be had there, it is a wonder why our nation's revenue generators (aka traffic cops) don't hand more such tickets out.

Oh and BTW, if you are one of those "loud pipes save lives" idiots, please save your drivel.

smithrob75 12-19-2005 02:18 PM

Yea, I totally agree. I think piped Harley's sound like a farting elephant, but hey I have taste so what can I say. It seems as though they're making a small fortune sell small pieces of bent metal for $500-$750 a set. Having bent a fair amount of metal in my day I can tell you the true cost of making those would be $45-$50 bucks absolutley tops, probably more like $25, add chrome plating for another $5 and you have a pretty good business model.

Also all the Harley guys talk about torque, torque, torque, and the pipes actually put a hole in the bottom of the power band.

Hutchinator 12-19-2005 02:21 PM

I'm going to have to agree with you Ashley. I hate it when the vehicle next to me can out do my radio (a testiment to the noise they make, not to my taste in music), rattle my teeth, or let me know they're coming a block-plus away, no matter the size or wheel count.

While I'm not opposed to aftermarket systems, I think they should be resonable. To my ear, tone matters for then sound. You will always be able to turn my head in your direction best when it sounds like your ride growls deeply rather than trying to blow my ear drums out; I walk (of run) the opposite way to save my hearing.

My two cent.

Then again, who doesn't turn thier head in Ashley's direction as she goes by??

Okay, $.03

FrankGrimes 12-19-2005 02:23 PM

The first thing I think of when I hear a loud pipe is 'dumbass', the next thought is 'clown'(read gabe's rant on why motorcycles aren't more accepted as transportion in the US)

As for the more power - read the GSXR1000 vs R6 article. You need more than a few HP to actually be fast.

Ever wonder why some people don't do 'the wave' when your out riding, its probably because they don't consider you a motorcyclist.

I really don't like loud pipes... could you tell?

eojmo 12-19-2005 02:52 PM

The noise factor is all about who is inflicting or who is inflicted by the racket. You may think your motorcycle sounds cool and your fellow neighbours and citizens are just a bunch of unappreciative whiners. Your opinion quickly changes when one of them rattles your windows and wakes you and the baby at some ungodly hour. Nothing can bring the point home quicker than spending a wad of money for a quite holiday, only to have it shattered by a bunch of idiots roaring around on unsilenced bikes.

Buzglyd 12-19-2005 03:09 PM

Well let's see...

Dearly departed MV Agusta Brutale - stock pipes yet still really loud.

H-D Geezer Glide - H-D touring mufflers, hardly louder than stock with nice mellow tone.

Ducati ST4 - Ferraci pipes set off car alarms. Only the clutch is louder. It just sounds so damn good I can't bring myself to quiet it down.

dean_1 12-19-2005 03:29 PM

Your right Ashley. I never thought of it like that before but loud pipes are rude. Unfortunately, just like common sense, manners cannot be legislated or purchased.

Gluge 12-19-2005 03:37 PM

I hate loud pipes.

What I don't get though is... what is the point?

1. They don't come like that so you took some time and probably some money just to make them louder.

2. Your risking a ticket

3. Isn't that annoying to the riders???

4. Annoying all the car drivers around you when your on a motorcycle doesn't seem like the smartest thing.

If I could I'd ride a silent motorcycle and I'd love it!

wwalkersd 12-19-2005 03:45 PM

I couldn't agree with you more, Ashley! Loud pipes lose rights, and they're just plain rude. Then again, so are lots of other things that are considered "normal" these days. Whatever happened to manners and consideration of others, anyway? I guess we threw 'em out in the "me" decade.

Re the migraines, my wife has found significant relief from hers using acupuncture. Find yourself a good (Oriental-trained, IMHO) acupuncturist.

sv1000rider 12-19-2005 03:59 PM

Hey loud pipes save lives. I don't give a flying squid through a windshield if you think loud bikes are rude. Loud pipes are my God-given right as is not wearing a helmet, riding around in my tightie whitie, man-titties-a-jiggling tank-top, going on bar-hop poker runs, and buying my first bike (a 1400 pound cruiser) at age 48. In fact, shut the hell up or I'll sick George Bush and his spies on your un-American, terrorist-supporting, tree-huggin ass!

(the above post is a feeble attempt at sarcasm)