Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Rant: Put a Cork In It! (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/3196-rant-put-cork.html)

sportbikebandit 12-20-2005 08:13 AM

Americans should visit Canada to get a lesson in manners

My new neighbor has a cruiser with loud pipes. Last Sunday, I had to jump start my bike cause I hadn't used it in a couple months. I let it idle for awhile. The stock exhaust on my 01 Ninja is very quiet. My neighbor thought it was time to fire up his cruiser. Damn I couldn't hear my bike over his when I standing next to my bike.

I ride for the fun of it. I don't ride to pose or to be a member of a group like the GPTB. So making excessive noise has never appealed to me. Don't get me wrong I love the sound of a Ducati Twin. I just don't think the whole world needs to hear it. I agree in the long run loud pipes won't save lives but cost rights.

In general, I agree with the right wing on one point that the US population is becoming ruder. One can contrast the American rudeness with the Canadian politeness by a visit to Vancouver B.C. There people will go out their way to give you directions etc. Ride the clean bus around the city without fear of ending up in the wrong neighborhood. Cause there isn't the bad neighborhoods like there is in the U.S. cities. In many ways Canada is what America was supposed to be. Even though many Canadians don't have the economic wealth of Americans, you sense they are happy. Why? Cause they have different priorites I suspect. In the U.S. we measure sucess by ones bank account. I get the feeling elsewhere in the world sucess in measured differently. Yes we American can learn from other countries i.e. we aren't right all the time W.

bmwclay 12-20-2005 08:21 AM

Re: Rant: Put a Cork In It!

I don't care much for loud pipes myself. But when the local cops are riding around with open piped Harleys that make your ears hurt you can bet they won't write many tickets to the Harley crowd.

oldtim 12-20-2005 08:34 AM

Well written and good points but how loud is loud? BTW I have heard that migraines respomd well to cannabis...if your state laws allow.

roadpilot 12-20-2005 08:54 AM

I'm not cool. I couln't care less about that. I just like to ride. Those loud HD's were simply in the way, and loudly so. I take riding seriously and seriously enjoy it. I don't care to ride behind people so concearned with self-image that they have to ride bricks on casters. Then they top it off with loud pipes that shout: "Hey, look at me! I paid 15 grand for an obese bike that fits my obese body!" Loud sportbikes may be a nusiance, but at least they don't 'HOG' curvy roads by put-ptting along like a bunch of clowns in search of a circus. Ride what you like, stay out of my way, and don't even think loud pipes make me want to be you.

Fenton 12-20-2005 09:13 AM

Re: Well let's see...

You don't rent the GT2 for the date too?

If you find one that is impressed by the likes of a MV, keep her.

My wife likes the Multistrada because it has "little compartments" to keep things. That really takes away from "factory panniers" from Italy.

Fenton 12-20-2005 09:29 AM

I keep honking but it sounds like a starter motor.

Thanks for the tip.

longride 12-20-2005 09:29 AM

I still think you are the coolest for showing those Harley guys who is boss and I want to be just like you.

roadpilot 12-20-2005 09:29 AM

Re: A Different Take: By Analogy

Loud pipes cause real pain. Being installed, by someone's choice, means that someone is choosing to cause pain to others. No one rides a MC by necessity. This means that some have choosen to frivolously cause pain to others. I challenge any who read this: Is there a greater vice, short of murder?

Z1chopper 12-20-2005 09:30 AM

I think loud pipes are going to be a thing of the past. Manufacturers are already making quieter pipes because they don't want to go out of business. They already know the laws are going to change and they will make whatever makes them money.

I hate that everything is regulated and that we all have to be the same. I keep moving further and further away from the cities but they always seem to grow out to me.

I think it stinks and I sometimes want to make noise. Just because it's fun and it's not because I want you to think I'm cool. It's a rush to feel and hear the power of a motor. That was always the fun for some of us. I guess I will have to move even further away from all the whinners. I think girls are wrecking the fun of us more aggressive men. Stay home with your dainty ways.

Steve

davidhaner 12-20-2005 09:54 AM

Did you read the same article we read? Did you see the photo of Ashley with three feet of air under her enduro? Pretty damn dainty, eh? Especially the part about how her migraines hurt more than a destroyed arm. You're a real manly man I bet. Soup up that Harley and show us your engine power!