Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Rant: Put a Cork In It! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/3196-rant-put-cork.html)

Buzglyd 12-20-2005 05:35 AM

Re: Well let's see...

Yeah it's not in mine either. It's nice being 5 minutes away from it though. I can always take a girl through the neighborhood on the way to my pad!

Rich by association! lol

Hutchinator 12-20-2005 06:04 AM

Libs not Obnoxious?

Confused, you are

One with the dark side, you have become

ebass 12-20-2005 06:10 AM

Re: What a bunch of ...

Been working my magic over at RoadRUNNER Magazine as Associate Publisher, and at Barnett's Motorcycle Showcase as Contributing Editor. No time left for the MO show although I suspect that you may see a future contribution from me sometime next year. Been itching for the good ol' days of un-edited ranting and limitless space restrictions that the print world doesn't offer me sooooo....

....stay tuned.

Hutchinator 12-20-2005 06:13 AM

Re: Notice....

Why would anyone want to?

Besides, hard to disagree when someone is correct...

longride 12-20-2005 06:23 AM

Re: Rant: Put a Cork In It!

Wow, you must be like a really good and cool rider, or something. I bet you sure showed all those Harley guys something. I wish I was as cool as you are.

The_Aerodynamic_Head 12-20-2005 06:35 AM

A Different Take: By Analogy

I wonder, is this loud pipes thing a "lifestyle" issue?

The prevailing opinions seem to settle into two schools: the first asserts that one's own life and lifestyle are one's to do with what one wishes, the other declines, saying that one has the innate right to not have life and lifestyle disturbed. Hmm.

Personally, I get the heeby-jeebies when people tell me I'm no good if i don't have 13 kids, or when people announce their sexual preferences as part of a casual introduction, or insist on announcing their opinions about the movie while we're all still in the theater. Or force me to listen to their badly-tuned vehicle, of however-many wheels.

There's a phychological/spiritual question here. To wit: Are we loosing our ability to live in community? Have we become so accustomed to personal luxury that we can no longer accept the vissicitudes of others-in-proximity? Think about it; how much of our real estate pricing is based on the principle of self-isolation? I've heard stories from Depression-era people who speak of the routine expectation of three generations in one house. the stories speak of this as a positive good for the development of each individual, especially children. How many of us say that we ride to get away from it all? You know, there is no stated "right to privacy" in the Constitution. (It was inferred, under questionable logic and no legal precedent, from the fourth amendment.) Plato speaks at length about this issue in his [i]Republic[i]. To quote the great sage: the good of the many outweighs the good of the few or the one. If we really believed otherwise, there would be no real rationalle behind common effort, common enterprise. So why, then, do we seem to react more and more adversely and violently in response to things that our forebears would have considered trifling irritances, if they noticed them at all. Have we become too soft? Even our military, God bless their sacrifice, is positively pampered compared to past generations of servicemen. (They can't even cuss at you in boot camp anymore!)

Most of us have never known true hardship, or at least, have not known the kind of struggle (probably good for us!) that was commonplace in earlier generations. In lieu of such, we elevate merest niusance to the level of personal catastrophe. In short, I suspect we have all become interelational pansies.

RIT_Phatmac 12-20-2005 06:40 AM

Loud pipes, grr.

If you want to listen to the scream of uncorked interal combusition engines, go to the drag strip, or the race track.

If you want to live in peace with your neighbors, ride your bike and be quiet about it.

Same goes for their lawnmowers, leaf blowers, and weed eaters.

We live in a world that's too loud. Let's agree to stop adding to the din.

longride 12-20-2005 06:42 AM

Re: A Different Take: By Analogy

Well said and summed up by my quote:

"Our society at large has turned into the offended looking to ban the offender. A nation petty people easily offended by petty offenses."

We are now offended by everything from smokers to the word "Christmas". Since most people don't do a damn thing in their lives that is really worth a shyt, they then dedicate it to complaining about others.

longride 12-20-2005 06:43 AM

Re: I like quiet

Sometimes you are a really mean SOB. I think I've been rubbing off on you a bit. Keep up the good work! LOL

staff 12-20-2005 07:12 AM

Re: Notice....

Ever argue with an inane person? Pointless...

--AJH