Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-20-2005, 01:28 AM   #21
boru4761
Registered Member

Default Re: Rant: Put a Cork In It!

Why?

I totally understand the quest for more power but why straight pipes? Anybody with some wrench time knows that straight pipes don't add enough HP on top to be worth the hole they punch in the bottom end. I have no problem with aftermarket exhausts. I just don't get the straight pipes thing. On anything, Sport bike, Cruiser, Ricer, Gigantic SUV with Altezza taillights, whatever.
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-20-2005, 01:39 AM   #22
BillyO
Registered Member

Default Re: Well let's see...

I own A "Geezer Glide" and a Duck ST2.Not bad for a 61 year old child.

Funny comment `bout Duck clutches.I brought that bike home when new and my wife asked why I bought a bike w/bad noisey motor.Tried to explain to her the marvel of dry clutches.

She would have none of it.Had to buy her off w/trip to Victria`s Secret for some see through

panties.They look nice on her 36 year thighs.

Spent the aftenoon "RIDING."
BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:51 AM   #23
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

That's your opinion.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:46 AM   #24
maladg
Registered Member

Ashley, generally agree. In fact, I have not modified exhaust of any bike I've owned since Kerker was hot, new news. Which dates me back to paleolithic times.

But there is an aesthetic angle here, too. Yes, I detest straight pipe HD's, too loud in-line 4's, yadda, yadda. (properly muffled, slightly louder HD sound is great - I think Buell has that part down pat)

But someone pointed out that 60's Britbikes had it right - yes! Opened up Ducs are HOT. Uncorked Guzzis sound sorta like Nascar lite which is pretty ok. SV650's and 1000's sound pretty good with those pricey Staintunes and on and on.

Doesn't anyone recall Kevin Cameron mulling this a couple of yrs ago? He noted that some bikes sound better uncorked that others. He felt there to be a correlation between combustion chamber efficiency and good sound...the more efficient, the more stinky the sound. The - er - less efficienct the better the sound.

I'll keep my stock exhausts and spend my spare loot on good tires, premium suspension components and knowlegeable help to make sure I don't muck up the set up.

Not being an A$$hole isn't that big a sacrifice.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 02:56 AM   #25
NevadaNez
Founding Member

Lordy—I guess it’s our age but the missus and I, we just can’t hardly stand to be around bikes that sound like a passing freight train. I ride to clear my head—and my ears—from the daily crap of a "civilized" industrial society and when I’m in the wind, I want to HEAR that wind, not someone else’s attempt at distorting or obfuscating it. Same goes for cars with subwoofers that blast bass so deep it rattles pacemakers in the local cardiology unit.

DonÂ’t it all jis boil down to respect? Funny how thatÂ’s such a big thing with so many today, yet when theyÂ’re violating the respect of others it doesnÂ’t seem to have any validity.

Ah, now I’m digressing and tangetializing too—have a nice, quiet and beautiful ride, wouldya?!?

Old 12-20-2005, 03:00 AM   #26
03zx12r
Registered Member

A great way to quite it down without repacking you muffler....Turbocharge it!
03zx12r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:18 AM   #27
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

It is, ultimately, about mutual respect but there is very little of that left in my opinion. It is officially cool to be rude, obnoxious and loud. Life is about being notorious, not about being admired like it used to be. Damn shame.
m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:31 AM   #28
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Well let's see...

You'll be about 5 minutes from me.

Will you be riding there?

The Sport Classics are sweet, no?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:35 AM   #29
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Notice....

How nobody ever disagrees with Ashley?

Old 12-20-2005, 03:52 AM   #30
roadpilot
Founding Member

Some of the best fun i've had involvod passing more than several HD's and wannabees with loud pipes on a curvy road while i was riding a slightly modded (still stock can) GS500. Their response was a feeble finger or two, twisted throttle grips, and still disappearing rapidly behind me. You like loud pipes? Just what are you compensating for? Spare our ears and just order those pills from that whistling commercial.
roadpilot is offline   Reply With Quote