Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-19-2005, 05:14 PM   #11
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Rant: Put a Cork In It!

Everybody seems to have a beef against something. This just in. Lots of people are going to hate motorcycles anyway. They don't really need a reason. They could be whisper quiet, and many, many people would still want to ban them.

Our society at large has turned into the offended looking to ban the offender. A nation petty people easily offended by petty offenses.

Outcasts are the only thing that make life more interesting anyway. By the way Ashley, the rant was great, but I'll take the free beer!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2005, 05:46 PM   #12
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Well let's see...

Took a little peek at the MV 910 at the San Jose show yesterday. Pretty.

I'll be in your neck of the woods in a couple of months. Up Manchester a couple of lefts, couple of rights. On the boarder of Rancho Santa Fe.

BTW, I felt up that new Duc you are looking forward to running around on.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 06:35 PM   #13
sarnali
Founding Member

I don't like loud pipes either, I have Harley Touring mufflers on my Dyna that flow better than stock but aren't much louder and my Triumph had the same thing in the Triumph Off Road pipes both well below 95dba.

Straight through drag pipes only help at high RPM's, putting a straight pipe on a low RPM street bike is a power-robbing waste of money. Specially on Sportbikes, what idiot is going to rip off a factory Titanium exhaust and stick a Yoshi. or Akropovic full race system just because Nicky has one.

Same goes for Fart-Cans on Japanese street racer Sentra's and Civics, it was one of them pricks that clipped my Trophy so they don't get any sympathy from me.

Quiet is good.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:00 PM   #14
sliphorn
Registered Member

1960's stock Brit bikes had it right in my opinion. They sounded like a proper motorcycle without being obnoxious.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:43 PM   #15
snowcrash
Founding Member

Default Re: Well let's see...

Riding along on MINE, MY, first bike behind traffic, recently learning to allow a japanese 4 to rev higher than a twin and thinking how good it sounds, how the low burble and the occasional cough of an engine not even trying, just waiting to be called into action.

Behind me was a Ducati calmly responding to my movements always slotting into a position where she was not directly behind me and had maximum braking distance. Somehow she knew I thought hers was mine and when I saw her slide past me and overtake the sound was gone; along with me caught between follwing or moping.

I moped.
snowcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:56 PM   #16
schizuki
Founding Member

"They could be whisper quiet, and many, many people would still want to ban them."

Many, many fewer than currently do.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:09 PM   #17
schizuki
Founding Member

It's simple, really - if you have obnoxiously loud pipes on your bike, you're a narcissistic a**hole. Period.

And if you think your loud pipes save your life, you're a crappy rider, to boot. Avoid situations where you need to make noise to save yourself. If you still need to make noise, there's a button on your left handgrip labelled "HORN".

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:37 PM   #18
ebass
Founding Member

Default What a bunch of ...

... dust farting old coots! Why don't you all just take your incontinent bowels down to the local scooter dealership and leave the motorcycles to the young and virile.

Loud pipes not only save lives, they far more importantly part the endless sea of SUV-driving MILFS yacking on cellphones so I can lanesplit my way to Beverly Hills where I'll spend a delightful afternoon freaking out their poodles, setting off their car alarms (even inside the garages), and seducing their soon-to-be-legal daughters.

And yes, if any of them get migraines from my concerto in V-Twin major then I'll put that in the bonus column too!

(just kidding guys, I was only being sarcastic)

(Screw that, Pops! I was serious! Psyche! Geezers!)
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:11 PM   #19
Zakman
Founding Member

You know you bikes pipe isn't too loud when you sneak up on bicyclists on your Honda Pacific Coast.
Zakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:30 AM   #20
den111
Founding Member

Loud pipes are bad for asses.
den111 is offline   Reply With Quote