Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Rant: Put a Cork In It! (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/3196-rant-put-cork.html)

Z1chopper 12-29-2005 01:14 PM

Re: Rant: Put a Cork In It!

"Harley-Davidson has even asked dealers not to sell straight, unmuffled exhaust pipes, and last year it removed Screaming Eagle parts that are intended for off-street race use from its main catalogs."

Harley people are scarry! Come on, there are plenty of riders who ride with stock exhaust. And there are plenty of Yamaha's, Honda's people who replace their exhaust for aftermarket pipes. It's not just big bikes. As I said in an earlier statement big business is about money and they will vote for what keeps them in business. The aftermarket dealers will do the same. If enough people ***** about something it will get changed whether they are bikers or not. I will have no voice, no matter what people tell you. The industry will let you know what they want. Maybe they can get more money for their bikes if they have to be less noisy. Cha Ching I vote yes.. Or maybe you could pay higher taxes to buy everyone ear plugs and solve the problem that way. There is money to be made let me in.

Steve

TJKellogg 12-31-2005 09:58 AM

Re: I like quiet

No, they use their "jake-brake" past my house (despite the "No Engine Brakes" sign) at 2am or thereabouts.

Yes I live on a highway right outside a small town. We get a few straight-piped bikes, but a lot more "fart-can" Honda cars and way more obnoxiously loud semis (bad retreads can be louder than jake-brakes).

A little noise can catch people's attention as you overtake them, preventing that oh, $#!+ moment when they decide to suddenly change lanes for the hell of it. However, if a baffled aftermarket pipe isn't loud enough for that job, they wouldn't hear you over the stereo, anyway.

jotto 01-25-2006 04:40 PM

Usually it is the V-twin folks who want the "sound of power." They don't seem to realize that the real sound of power is made by a Japanese four cylinder motorcyle that is anything but noisy. I rode many Harleys at York, PA a few years ago. They were without exception very quiet machines. I hate loud pipes on bikes, cars, trucks, and I also despise loud car stereos. That thumping bass of loud speakers seems a personal affront. Americans surely do need to be less rude.

pencon61 02-06-2006 02:53 PM

you guys are wrong , loud pipes can sound great especially the race core Yoshes on my TL1000s! Music I tells ya!

pencon61 02-06-2006 03:19 PM

Lawnmowers , chainsaws and weedwackers make alot of noise too ,so do people kids screaming in restaurants and movie theaters.We should regulate baby mufflers next . Noise is part of life , Do you silent fans want every aspect of life regulated ? Lets all live like robots and conform! Woohoo .......whiners ps. put a muffler on your stereos I don't want to hear your country music either!

daver 06-22-2006 08:15 AM

Please. Lets not forget the jerks with coffee-can exhaust pipes on their "tuners." And the other jerks with the streetsweeper bass in their cars turned up so loud that you can hear it through your rolled up windows from 150 feet away. It's all the same me-first, greedy attitude that these people exhibit.