Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-15-2005, 11:52 AM   #21
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Here's what I don't like about tank bags:

Carrying it off the bike: Sure, it's OK on the bike, but when you're off, you can't leave your stuff out there on the bike. Pulling the bag on and off, even with the convenience of a magnetic, is a hassle. And when you have it off, you have to carry it around in your hand, although most tank bags you can attach a strap to and sling it over your shoulder. Still, not as good when you are making lots of short errands/trips.

It gets in your way: A medium-large tank bag gets in my way during aggresive sportriding. I like to get close to the tank.

It's not universal: I ride about 80 different bikes a year, so there isn't a good tankbag that fits everything. Some bikes have plastic tanks (or no tank at all!) and you can't use magnets, others have a weird shape, like cruisers. I'd have to have four different tankbags at least. And have you ever tried to take a magnetic tankbag through airport security? Oy vey!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-15-2005, 01:03 PM   #22
Gabe
Registered Member

Default ***CORRECTION, PLEASE NOTE***

The people at Chrome bags emailed me to let me know that they make all their messenger bags in both right and left-handed versions, not just right-handed as I originally reported.

I apologize for this oversight! The story has been corrected.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:24 PM   #23
imported_g_k
Registered Member

Default Re: In the Bag

I'll second the Kriega recommendation, although others might not agree if they carry anything in pockets that are behind the front straps - anything behind them will be pressed into your chest. They're super-easy to put on or remove, and their big selling point is that there are no straps to flap in the breeze when you're outrunning the CHP at 100+ mph (that can be so distracting).

I've had two different Timbukt courier bags, (different sizes), but ended up selling one and giving the other away. They're a great product, but on a motorcycle or bicycle I prefer a backpack - when I carried my laptop I was bothered by all the weight on one shoulder. Plus, the unbalanced airflow makes the bike somewhat unstable when you're outrunning the CHP at 100+ mph (dangerous as well as distracting).
imported_g_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:18 PM   #24
obandoj
Founding Member

A while ago I purchased a NelsonRigg bag, what a mistake, the thing $ucks, I wish I would have tried the Timbuk2 first, but after my bad experience I'm a little leary about them things, so I'm back to the old knapsack and tank bag.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 11:06 PM   #25
Tadgh
Registered Member

i have found that a plastic shopping bag hung off one of your handlebars or perhaps one on each handlebar for balance to be effective. however you need to be careful getting your knee down as the bags tend to drag along the road surface
Tadgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 01:16 PM   #26
NevadaNez
Founding Member

I've been using Jansport backpacks with the padded shoulder straps for years as impromptu tank bags on my older bikes, where a scratch or two on the tank doesn't send shivers of dread down one's spine. They work great, are relatively inexpensive, easy to manuever, hold a ton of stuff, and can be pulled off in a jiffy and toted with ya just about anywhere ya go. While I appreciate the features of bags designed specifically for bikes, my ol Jansports have provided me with some pretty darned good service over the years--for about half the price, too. Now, ya won't find it on the new R1200 that will be calling my garage home in the next month or two, but the Vulcan and the Intruder currently residing there will probably spend the rest of their days with that backpack strapped to the tank.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:29 PM   #27
ase
Founding Member

Bailey Bag! http://www.baileyworks.com/

Made right in Moo Hampshire!
ase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:37 AM   #28
jscharold
Registered Member

Messenger bags are great, but in an accident, consider that they will get stolen. Mine did.
jscharold is offline   Reply With Quote