Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-14-2005, 10:37 AM   #51
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Rocket, Roadliner, Road King

Full face helmet $100 vs Full Face transplant $1,000,000. nuff said.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2005, 10:48 AM   #52
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

I'm still trying to figure out if you're trolling or not. After years of reading your posts, I know you actually "get it" and pot calling kettle black statement like: "Harleys work very well and are the real thing, not some pre-packaged marketing experiance" certainly make it look like you're trolling.... But I dunno. You might be serious. Are there any meds you might have missed in the past few hours? -Sean

Old 12-14-2005, 11:30 AM   #53
teknoman
Registered Member

Have to admit it ,I was wrong.Awhile back,I lambasted the new Star bikes as being fugly.but they sent me a disc[cd rom] of the bikes,the looks ,the presentation,and now your testing!Not my cup of tea [yet] ,but they did do a unique styling job.Now if the rumored"Star Vmax"concept bike is actually real,it,rounds out a fine line.Wonder if the MT-01 will be a star brand when it gets to North America?Oh yeah fine test as usual,gabe pass them wings bro,my stomach is back to normal
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:44 AM   #54
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Didn't you know they give out free Kool-aid at the H-D dealer?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:53 AM   #55
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Lemme' check,

I think I took them all......

I'm not trolling. For a slow ride- cruiser-custom whatever you want to call it, then Harley is the original or if not the original, the survivor and as such would be the target, as I think the artical pointed out. Therefore anything that comes along afterwards, specially something with styling cues so clearly designed to imitate the original are bound to raise some eyebrows in certain quarters.

I don't believe I've ever said Harleys were junk, in fact I've pointed out a number of times that the supposedly unreliable Shovelheads and Sportsters I owned in the past were a great deal of fun and as reliable as any other bikes I've ridden. Granted, their performance and handling is "relaxed" but within those parameters they do work well. The Dyna I have now is the most comfortable bike I've owned since the last Harley I had. It's performance with correct jetting and a free'er flowing A/C and exhaust up to 100mph or so is acceptable. Since I don't feel the need to go much faster than that on the street these days I'm quite happy. True, it doesn't corner as hard as a more performance oriented bike and I have had a few "moments" getting aquainted with that fact. But all in all it's a fun bike and infinitly adaptable

I'm certainly guilty of poking fun at Harley's pre-packaged instant outlaw marketing and I still think it's silly to try to play dress-up-look-at me-I'm-tuff. However Yamaha is going down the same road with their cruiser ads full of nattily attired "bros" in the Star club. Now if that's not the result of some focus groups recomendations I'll eat my hat. I personaly find it in poor taste and unnecessary in a company with the engineering prowess that Yamaha has to try to piggy back on someone elses success..
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:58 AM   #56
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default In addition,

If H-D had gone out of business in the 80s, would any of these "cruisers" even exist right now?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:52 PM   #57
nweaver
Founding Member

Default gah, Pa-The-Tik Harley...

That HUGE engine makes LESS power than my GF's WeeStrom, and only 25 more foot-lbs of torque?

Can that Harley whale even get out of its own way?

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:12 PM   #58
DragonF6
Registered Member

I still think a Honda Valkyrie would beat all three as an all-round best cruiser. It is fast, comfortable and handles great. Honda stopped making them in '03.

Nice move Big Red.
DragonF6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:02 AM   #59
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: In addition,

Funny you should mention that. Yamaha was one of the Japanese manufacturers that dubbed the v-twin an 'inferior design' when Harley was going under, so Yamaha no speak with forked tongue. They have a whole motorcycle division dedicated to v-twins, so can we say two-faced? No, there would be no cruisers if Harley didn't make them cool. There would also be no Victory, Vengence, Iron Horse, S&S, and all the other aftermarket Harley clone manufacturers. Harley sprung a whole industry just by staying in business. Amazing.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:03 AM   #60
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

If you think they look like dorks with a full-face on, you never saw em with em off. Just kidding!