Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Rocket, Roadliner, Road King (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/3182-rocket-roadliner-road-king.html)

ValkBandit 12-14-2005 05:04 AM

Re: Rocket, Roadliner, Road King

i should also add that you guys did a good job ... as usual ... with the writeup. i test-rode a rocket when it first came out and i will never forget That Motor.

Tigercub 12-14-2005 06:15 AM

That explains why, as displacement goes up relative power (HP/displacement) goes down.

maxriderdon 12-14-2005 06:20 AM

Did that have anything to do with the smile you couldn't get off your face for a while? ;)

Tigercub 12-14-2005 06:24 AM

Harley's are hobby bikes that require finishing touches from the owner. The motors are way overbuilt and will take a lot of power upgrades or none if you like it the way it is. You can renew the bike with upgrades for very little investment and really enjoy it for many years. But, the price of admission is steep. Other manufacturers (Polaris, Yamaha - Star line) may try to duplicate what Harley's done, but I haven't seen anything close yet.

SeanAlexander 12-14-2005 06:33 AM

Cruiser

If cruisers were about being faster than the other bikes in thier class, they wouldn't be cruisers.

SeanAlexander 12-14-2005 06:36 AM

Full-Faced helmets

Nope, it was simply a case of common sense.

Gabe 12-14-2005 07:18 AM

Full-face helmets

I think half-helmets look dorky-er, especially when you're doing 90 on the freeway and you have this horrible grimace from the wind, cold and debris. Looking like a bad Charles Bronson impression is cool?

Plus, wearing a half-helmet is the same thing as wearing no helmet at all. The odds of one staying on your head in a crash are pretty slim. And even if it does, there is no side or face protection. The chances of you landing right where the helmet protects you are less than 50%. Why wear a helmet at all?

Every time I see a guy with a half-shell or beanie helmet, I see his grim, silly, wind-blown grimace and think, man, that guy would have a much better experience if he were wearing a full face helmet, and he knows it, he is just afraid of what other people will think of him.

And THAT, my friend, is a textbook example of a dork.

03zx12r 12-14-2005 07:54 AM

I say do what you want most. I like the looks, but how does it make you feel? This is why I buy powerhouse bikes like the V65, Vmax, ZX11 and ZX12. Looks are ok, but they don't mean s**t when your ripping up a quarter mile.

sarnali 12-14-2005 08:07 AM

That's an interesting test. I rode a Rocket up and down the street a while back and thought it worked pretty well, admitedly I didn't stress the bike or suspension at all but it seemed like a pretty decent effort. The Yamaha in my opinion is a fine bike I'm sure, and I like the two into one pipe. It reminds me of the original Superglide pipe or the original LowRider pipe.

That of course is the reason I'd never buy one or any other Japanese cruiser. No matter how "original" their advertising department claims them to be, they are and always wil be imitations. If that doesn't matter to you then buy one and be happy, it's no skin off my nose but you won't catch me on one.

When it comes to cruisers, which really is nothing more than a generic name for Harley copys anyway I'll stick with the original, thank you. Your test said it all, when it has to be a Harley, nothing else comes close. One other issue you failed to bring up is dealer support, it's been my experiance that Yamaha, sorry, I mean Star dealers are sell it and forget it places as are most other Japanese bike dealers. Triumph is a little more rider oriented in some cases, less in others, while Harley dealers are execellent in making you feel at home and supporting the brand. While that's more of a selling point to some than others it's nice to know that the salesman and staff will still recognize you six months after you bought the bike.

I'm quite happy on my Dyna though going from sporty-type bikes to a Harley was a bit of a learning curve. Within their performance envelope Harleys work very well and are the real thing, not some pre-packaged marketing experiance.

sportbikebandit 12-14-2005 08:50 AM

Man you sound like you just came from a GPTB meeting... Talk about a changed man....:) I think we need to plan an intervention for you man...Are you riding your bike to work or do you still have your Trophy.