Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-14-2005, 03:08 AM   #31
phixer
Registered Member

Default Re: Rocket III Top-Heavy? NOT

I think they all have lead in thier heads that is what really made the R3 top heavy, or maybe just thier egos...
phixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2005, 03:13 AM   #32
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Rocket, Roadliner, Road King

I test rode a Rocket, and didn't think it was as bad the test indicated, but what do I know? I toured on a Road King and it is pretty much like described in the article. Never rode the Yamaha......I mean Star, but I'm sure it's nice. The only difference between the bikes is the Road King comes with hard bags and a windshield, which is nice if the bike is actually ridden somewhere instead of to the corner store.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:34 AM   #33
skeeter1949
Founding Member

I aggree with phixer on the R3. I have one and it is more fun that the law allows. Everywhere I look I see HD's, but you let me pull up to a bunch of the HD's riders with the R3 and they all crowd around to oggle it. Its fun to ride, comfortable and so well balanced and agile it will lull you into a false since of security, that is untill you twist the throttle just a little to much..
Old 12-14-2005, 04:45 AM   #34
lwatcdr
Founding Member

Default Re: Let's not get all misty eyed...

So it is expensive, heavy, and not much fun to drive in anything but a straight line?

Sounds like a big block Nova from 1970.

I also think it is ugly but that is a matter of opinion. I am sure some people will love it but doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:56 AM   #35
PASQUENELL
Founding Member

Having owned 2 road kings and now a Rocket I must say you are on crack. The Rocket is not top heavy, handles way better than the Road King (even w/o new shocks), and looks much better then Yamaha's version of the Chrysler Imperial.

The Rocket = Bang for the buck, HP,Torque, Dealer service, quality control.

If you want to tour , the rocket is the platform , 2 up with gear you can run as fast as you want all day in comfort, Roadking 2 up with gear, better spend $3k on mods if you want to do the speed limit

There's a 3 cone K&N air cleaner coming out to get rid of the ugly bear claw.

If you want to be a Badass the Rocket is the way to go, I ate a couple Bourgets last month, with no mods but pipes on my rocket.

I live in Colo and have no problems dropping all other cruises in the twisties

If I want HD propaganda I'll go the their website, Thanks for nothing

PASQUENELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:03 AM   #36
yellowduc_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Rocket, Roadliner, Road King, and Imperials

In the totally frivolus pursuit of trivia Hemi's were 426 cu.in. and never came in Imperials. The last hemi in an imperial was an iron 392. If it had torsion bars it and was newer than 1958 it had a 413 or 426 wedge motor. And it would still boogie at a stupidly great rate of speed for an aircraft carrier sized car.
yellowduc_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:10 AM   #37
Anti-ChickenStrip
Founding Member

Default The Triumph will sell just fine...

As the article states, the Triumph is about the engine. Period. In-your-face-look-at-my-5-pound-c*ck appeal. In the video of the peg scrape, Sean promptly straightens her up, howls the rear fatty and launches away, right? For many in the land or Cruiserdom, that's plenty to justify the sale.

Seen BMW's ad for their 1200R abortion (imho) stating you don't need a hibbacci to cook japanese? Please. The Rocket will engorge many a ham-fisted-straight-line-Gomer and thus the bikes wil sell.

Best overall motocycle? Apparently not. Enough visceral appeal to be a commercial success? I suspect yes.

I have more and more respect for Harley and their ability to repeatedly beeeotch-slap the competition on the sales floor. Harley whiners should just accept that there are countless reasons to ride and several hundred thousand a year have been voting with with wallets for Harley. Get over it.

That being said, I too like the Roadliner and that GSXR company's new cruiser looks might bad ass as well.

The new breed of cruisers continue to wratchet up the wretched excess and personally, I'm enjoying the show.

Anti-ChickenStrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:53 AM   #38
oldtim
Founding Member

Great test fellows, very interesting three bikes to get together. I guess when all is said and done I'll take the Harley (as if I could afford one). The Star is nice, if somewhat garish, I suppose, but it is still an imitation HD, really. And the Triumph? Well as I said before, this is a ridiculous motorcycle; 2300cc, 700+ lbs; "2,300 cc car engine crammed into a motorcycle" Maybe it should be called the Boss Hoss Jr (but just as rediculous).
oldtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:58 AM   #39
Buzglyd
Founding Member

H-Ds touring chassis is now the oldest platform in the lineup. All the others have had significant upgrades so hopefully the Geezer line is next.

The Twin Cam can easily make similar levels of power compared to the Yamaha but there's no point in doing it if the chassis can't handle it.

I wouldn't consider trading in my Glide until a total redesign occurs.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:02 AM   #40
ValkBandit
Registered Member

i have to say that you guys look like dorks wearing full-coverage helmets while riding those bikes.

is it the lawyers that make you do it?
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote