Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-13-2005, 03:08 PM   #21
mii54ws
Founding Member

Default Re: Rocket, Roadliner, Road King

So where is the Vulcan 2000 in this comparison???

mii54ws is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2005, 05:26 PM   #22
phixer
Registered Member

I test rode a vulcan 2000 it was terrible, it was like driving through sand. It was mushy and just had a wierd feel. Test rode several bikes:

VTX 1800

Vstrom 1000

Vulcan 200

Mean streak

Buell ulysses

c80

Almost bought the Buell untill I rode the Rocket 3 had to buy it after the test ride.

phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:29 PM   #23
phixer
Registered Member

Sounds like Yamaha must be sponsoring something with MO.com or providing free coffee and donuts at the Motorcycle.com office

for the review they got.
phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:01 PM   #24
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Let's not get all misty eyed...

I think the R3 got a little shorted in this review too, but there is no denying the suspension sucks. Worse than the bad suspension (and where do you get really good shocks for $400?) is the weird, unbalanced feel of the bike and the way it is so sloppy and hard to steer, especially at high speeds. As a Speed Four owner, I am dissapointed that Triumph did not win the handling prize. When I was selling Triumphs, my line was, "The Triumph guys develop their bikes actually riding them on the narrow, bumpy roads around their factory. That's why they handle so well."

If they did that with the RocketIII, they killed a lot of test riders!

When I ride I like to dart in and out of traffic and feel 100% in control. The Roadliner has that controlled feel, the Triumph did not.

And if you want to bring up originality, if Triumph really wanted to be original they would have styled it like the Craig Vetter X-75 or a 70's Rocket III. Instead they used the same safe (read: Harley-Davidson) styling cues: chrome fender supports, raked-out fork, lots of chrome, teardrop tank, low seat, forward pegs, blah, blah, blah. I will grant that using a huge, industrial car engine is original.

I still like the Triumph just fine. But I just don't see the point of having a motor that is too powerful for the chassis.

But you'll never get a chance to test ride 142 ft-lbs of torque, so by all means, everybody should test ride one!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:03 PM   #25
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Hear, Hear!

We just want you the reader to get a feel for what it was like to ride the bikes, and to maybe enjoy getting our opinions and analysis of the same. I would question the sanity and intelligence of those who would base a buying decision 100% on what we tell them.

Old 12-13-2005, 06:06 PM   #26
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Hey!

We're still eating the 2,000 pound coffee cake Buell sent us for the CityX winning Value Middleweights. No room for doughnuts!

Seriously, the Roadliner/Stratoliner is an outstanding cruiser, the best I've ridden since I started here. If you rode one you'd be inclined to agree, doughnuts or not.

Old 12-13-2005, 06:29 PM   #27
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

You're right on the money Sherlock. Yamaha did give us something to influence our votes. They gave us a fantastic motorcycle that worked significantly better than the other two bikes in this test.

Of the five multi-bike comparos that Yamaha participated in this year, they've finished first twice, low-mid-pack twice and last once. So much for editorial bias.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:39 PM   #28
tomk2
Founding Member

"I think some day their whole product line will become obsolete due to EPA or fuel requirements."

Nope, Buell/HD are able to make those air cooled pushrod motors meet CARB and Euro 2 smog requirements without needing a catalytic converter. They are also among the best gas mileage bikes out there
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:48 PM   #29
BimotaRich
Founding Member

AS much I love Triumph, the Rocket III is just plain ugly. I tried to like it. But it just looks slapped together and wonky. The onlything that keeps me interested is the giant torque! And as much I try not to like Harleys the Road King is a beauty but like so much beauty it has no umph. But leave it to the Japanese to strike the balance and do so for less yen. Best of luck to the new rising star.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:54 PM   #30
mikenomad
Founding Member

Default Re: Rocket III Top-Heavy? NOT

Having recently ridden a Rocket III and being of very short inseam, I have to strongly disagree with your assessment of the Rocket III as top-heavy. That's exactly the opposite of my impression. Having short legs, I found myself on tiptoes while sitting on the Rocket's relatively tall seat (for a cruiser), yet I found I could let my arms hang at my sides and easily balance the 700-lb bike, rocking it back and forth with only my hips without fear of losing control and having it topple over on the showroom floor. It was easier to tip up off the sidestand than most cruisers that weigh less. Once I began rolling across the parking lot, I found the Rocket very easy to maneuver at a walking pace. Its balance and low center of gravity reminded me a lot of the feel of the GL1800. I didn't get a chance to hit any tight corners, just some sweepers at around 70 mph, but I could lean it a lot farther without scraping than I've been able to with any other cruisers. Did you guys happen to get a demo model with a lead weight strapped on top of the tank? Having a very short inseam, I'm VERY conscious of whether a bike is top-heavy, and the Rocket didn't give me that impression at all. It was very easy to ride at all speeds.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote