Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-13-2005, 01:43 PM   #11
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: Rocket, Roadliner, Road King

Engineering at HD is at a deadend compared with the Japanese and even Triumph. Except for the V-rod, HD have only ever made 45 degree, long stroke OHV motors. The V-rod was a huge engineering project that had to be contracted out. The twin-cam was described as a major redesign of their big V motor - I still can hardly tell them apart from the EVO. I think some day their whole product line will become obsolete due to EPA or fuel requirements.

Triumph has been a remarkable success with totally different machines, the triples, in-line 4, parallel twin and longitudinal triple. They can't sustain the in-line 4 and we'll see how long the Rocket lasts. But, those are completely different designs that they can profitably manufacture. Whenever I see the Rocket it reminds me of the movie - Have Rocket Will Travel. The Harley needs Elvis, the Triumph needs the Three Stooges! The Yamaha? - a clown.

Yamaha has to have a marketing department to explain that their bikes are cool.

I'd rather have the Harley.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2005, 01:58 PM   #12
Abe_Murphy
Registered Member

Thanks for the test. The older I get, the more interesting I find the opinions of riders, including myself. In a word, sometimes it seems we haven't riden the same bike. My conclusion is that what we ride most often heavily weighs our opinions until we get used to whatever new it is we are riding. Road testing has to be a *****.... but I wish I had your job. I know I could enjoy riding even the worst of them for a while, heck maybe even all day.
Abe_Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:02 PM   #13
phixer
Registered Member

I just purchased the Rocket 3 and it is one of the most fun bikes I have ever ridden. It is funny how they compare the R3, with the old timer and the imitator. The HD was good in its time but is sadly outdated and the Yamaha is a knock off of the HD with modern features. The Triumph is a original bike. The rear suspension stinks but it can be upgraded for about $400.00 . The R3 puts the fun back into riding. Don't let this review cloud your judgement go test ride all 3 and see that they are comparing apples to a very fast orange...
phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:20 PM   #14
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

True, the Rocket III is the quickest boat anchor I ever rode. -Sean
Old 12-13-2005, 02:47 PM   #15
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I had a '61 300H with the 413 & cross rams. Front disc brakes & aerodynamic short front deck & long rear deck. Chrysler knew what they were doing back then. Would hit 120+ in the blink of an eye. And the insides of the Torqueflytes were made out of stainless steel, not pot metal & hard plastic.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:52 PM   #16
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Nice article MO. The Star looks nice. I always thought the Rocket was grotesque. Rocket sales will fall off eventually, kpaul predicts. The Harley is a timeless classic. Nice photos.

Thanks

kpaul
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:01 PM   #17
bbtowns
Founding Member

How disappointing for Triumph. I know our local dealer says they're selling as fast as he can get them in...but as another MOron said, a $400 aftermarket shock makes it a much more rideable bike. It's just a shame that Triumph didn't put it there in the first place.

Hinckley has done a marvelous job of putting first rate bikes out that don't need significant upgrades to be a competent road bike, hate to see them fall off that wagon now. Don't own a Triumph, but that new Sprint looks to be right up my alley.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:20 PM   #18
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Gettin Sideways in cars with cheap materials...

I had a '99 996 (911) GT-3. The interior was crappy plastic, but the rest of it was stainless steel, aluminum or good old German high-tensile. It ate brake pads like strudel and understeered like a pig around town. But it you drove it like a race car (it was) it rewarded with the prettiest drifts and would out-brake everything short of shifter karts. -Sean
Old 12-13-2005, 03:25 PM   #19
eojmo
Founding Member

Road tests are subjective based on the particular journalists personal likes and dislikes. If anyone buys a motorcycle based on their opinions alone they must have rocks in their heads. At the end of the day a few hours playtime between the boys is no way to judge any motorcycle. Buy what you like not what the media tells you to buy.
eojmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:38 PM   #20
jimmihaffa
Founding Member

In motorcycling parlance, you can never have too much motor, and I think this is an accurate statement. I used to ride sportbikes and have recently converted to cruiserdom. The low slung design and oversize rear tires of these machines compromises the amount of suspension travel available. This is a big problem and one the Rocket III apparently suffers from. Nevertheless, to my eyes its a totally original looking bike that never leaves its rider wanting for power. I'd happily invest the $400 in suspension upgrades to enjoy this machine. Between the Rocket and the Harley as my pick. I'm going to be the first voice of descent on the styling of the Roadliner, but I think it's atrocious! I'd have to ride the Yamaha and determine if there really is all that engineering refinement built into it. I'm quite sure, though, that it's grotesque styling will make it a cheapie on the used bike market and it'll probably go down as one of the tackiest looking bikes ever built.
jimmihaffa is offline   Reply With Quote