Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-30-2005, 05:08 PM   #61
pattonme
Founding Member

Default Re: Best of the Best: 2005 R6 v. 2005 GSX-R1000

true. But damn it SUZUKI! PUt even 4 year old GSXR suspension on the SV650 and they'd kill everybody else in the segment. Don't tell me the parts cost a mint, because they DON'T.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2005, 05:31 PM   #62
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

So, apparently, "we" decided that "we'd" rather have the tests more biased towards street riding, where 95% of "us" spend 100% of our time. Fair enough.

What "we'd" like to know is who the hell, among "us", thought any of these things would ever be comfortable under 80 per, or hitting their sweet spot under about 120 per.

Let us tell ourselves one thing: we can't even fit on these damned penny racers without folding our knees up under our arses like some Gorram Wee-Jitsu freak from the Cirque d'Solei.

And another thing we need to get straight; we are six-foot-f'in-tooooo feet tall, something like 2000-and-some-odd millimetres for us Euro-brethren, and we ain't gettin' any younger, and we ain't shrinkin' the other way neither. From what Island of Fantasy do we come, arriving at the conclusion that we must ride bikes smaller and smaller, when we ourselves only get bigger and older. It makes not one whit of sense to us, we can tell us that!

Now, we don't want to get off on a rant, here, (ahem) but as far as we're concerned, neither of these are "street" bikes, not one iota more than The Spiderman Bike from the Teutels is a "street" bike, for, as Aristotle teaches all of us, "street" can be said in many ways. The former are wonderful track bikes, and the later a truly well-executed museum piece. Merely instructing ourselves to put lights and blinkers on does not a bike for the street make. Adding such to the former makes a bike for us who wish we were on the track, and similarly, to the later, a bike for us who wish to be seen as though part of an exibition.

But, we suppose, to each our own.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:42 PM   #63
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Hot Curlers

D'uh! You store them in the tailpipe, like shot shells.

Fish 'em out with a bent-up coat hanger, and Bam!, all ready ready already.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:57 PM   #64
cls
Registered Member

Intent well taken. However, I'm pretty sure I enjoy the crap out of them on the street...
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:17 PM   #65
Gabe
Registered Member

Default You might have used too much hot wax on that last aerodynamic treatment, man...

I think it soaked down into your brain. The reality is that sportbikes and cruisers are what US motorcycle consumers consume, along with quads and Pee-wee 50s.

They like the way they look and sond and enjoy going really really fast. Who are we to judge? The OEMs sell 10 R6s for every FZ6. What can you do?

So if they are buying them, we have to evaluate them.

Thanks for your oddly disturbing yet entertaining stream-o-consciousness rant. I did enjoy it (as I always do). Please post more in the future!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:43 PM   #66
umarth
Founding Member

Default Re: Great for town?

That is exactly what I need to hear. But in hearing it I now wonder why there is even a street portion for the test, if a cheap standard is what people should buy- especially "as the street is were we spend 99% of our riding time...."

Instead of covering bikes the majority of us would be riding a majority of the time, I ended up with several comparos on bikes that aren't really ideal for routine riding. I'd personally like to see a bunch of standards compared in the detail offered for the sport bikes, so I can feel sort of assured I am getting the best bike for my money....
umarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:54 AM   #67
Anti-ChickenStrip
Founding Member

Default Re: Great for town?

Your original question was, "Are either of these bikes great for riding around town?" Uh, no, they're probably not "great" and there are obviously better choices for around town riding. You couldn't determine that just by the pure nature of the machines? Would you ask if a cruiser was great at the track? With all due respect, this isn't rocket science. It seems odd that you've, "been reading about bikes for years and been riding for a handful and I still don't have a clue on what the my next bike should be....". Many motocyclists know exactly what they want on a visceral level, but if analysis is your pedigree, then some core criteria should allow you to make a short list pretty quickly.

I'm sure you know that perceived bike value and virtues are subjective based on the individual, thus you are going to be hard pressed to find absolute assurance that you're, "getting the best bike for (your) money" from a 3rd party. Why mildly bristle about the street portion of sportbike comparison because they aren't ideal for your type of street riding? I assure you there are plenty of other enthusiasts who also "ride for corners" (and the occassional blunt force tramua acceleration a GSXR 1000 can provide) and will gladly accept less than ideal accomodations around town or for the 120 mile rain-soaked slog in exchange for the GSXR's virtues. Perhaps you wouldn't.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, it could be argued that cruisers might not be the best around towners either because of their additional weight, typical low seat height (reduced field of vision) and more sluggish handling characteristics (no, I'm not trying to flame cruisers). Yet rarely would a publication be indicted for including a street protion in those tests, right? Then why get ruffled about sportbikes? What is more important for around town riding, comfort or mobility? Each will have his opinion.

Your comment, "Instead of covering bikes the majority of us would be riding a majority of the time, I ended up with several comparos on bikes that aren't really ideal for routine riding." is, frankly, a little whiny. Sheesh, this was a sportbike comparison of two very focused machines. Is it reasonable to expect them to perform as well around town as less focused machines, and do you really need someone else to tell you they don't? There is plenty of information on this and other sites, not to mention the print rags, on the type of mount that I think will match your criteria.

In the meantime, recognize that there are those who ride sportbikes in the city, cruisers at track days, supermotards on the highway, FJR 1300s to the supermarket, etc. and accept the limtations of their mount even though there may be better bikes for the task at hand.

Anti-ChickenStrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:57 AM   #68
jamestech
Founding Member

Absolutely....did I say "at first" because its only at first did the Gixxer 1K feel slower...yes indeed because of the different torque curve.

jamestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:03 AM   #69
jamestech
Founding Member

I sort of agree but its not quite that simple and I hope you are not implying that the R6 lends itself to slower riding.

Frankly any bike discussed here can be fun on any road. Dont think for a second that the Hayabusa is not fun in the corners.

jamestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 05:09 AM   #70
bboule
Founding Member

I took a 50 mile test ride on a friend's R6 and frankly it felt too fast to be fun on the street, so I agree with you.

I was doing like 2-3x the speed limit through twisties, etc.. without ever revving the engine out or using anywhere near it's power or capabilities. And since it's low end torque is not amusing the whole ride was just kind of boring.

Said friend pretty shortly converted said R6 to a racebike anyway as he agreed with me and felt it was pretty stupid to ride on the street.

I haven't rode the GSX-R 1000 but it just seems like more of the same. You will not be able to wring it out in the twisties on the street, so what you are left with his highspeed on the straights... which is boring after the first few times, dangerous, and a great way to go to jail.

A more street oriented bike can go the same speed I am willing to go through the twisties while being more amusing & comfortable.

Guess I am just an extreme case of "Going slow on a fast bike sucks"

I'll take either of these for the track though.
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote