Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-30-2005, 10:07 AM   #41
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: A different perspective

60-0 is a good idea... Of course it could be a little dangerous for Sean cause he would get into it so much i.e push the bike to its limits..
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2005, 10:13 AM   #42
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Re: Insurance Quotes

You just have to go to Progressive.com, because the variables are too great between riders for us to easily present any useful information. Example: If you have a clean record and live in a suburb of Minneapolis, it will be much cheaper for you to insure a GSXR1000 than it will be for me living in crowded San Francisco with a point on my driving record to insure an R6, even if we're the same age, married and ride the same amount of miles per year.

We tried to do a few sidebars on insurance rates (see: http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompa...ol/index.motml) but it seemed like nobody really gave a rat's a$$ after a reader (Kirk Harrington) did a lot of work for free to figure out rates.

If you can think of a way to get rates for different bikes easily in a way that would be useful to our readers I'd love to hear it, but for now it doesn't really pay off enough to justify the trouble.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 10:52 AM   #43
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: Best of the Best: 2005 R6 v. 2005 GSX-R1000

I wonder how the new Triumph 650 triple would compare to the R6 and GSXR1000?
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 10:56 AM   #44
cyclox
Founding Member

Default Re: Insurance Quotes

I understand the issues with this... plus, different companies can have dramatically different rates.

For example, when I moved from CA to NYC (yes, I'm crazy and yes, I need to find a different line of work), I had to get new insurance for my bike. Progressive quoted me something ridiculous, and most other companies were equally nuts. Finally got lucky with a broker that had a good rate with Foremost.

I wonder is some insurance broker would be willing to partner with you guys and offer a "click me for a quote" button associated with every review. Readers could store a profile with the major details (coverage preferences, address, driving record, age, etc) and the insurance site would take this info plus the bike being reviewed and generate a quote...

cyclox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 10:57 AM   #45
cyclox
Founding Member

Default Re: Ay, yi-yi! What is it with you SV650 people!

What about the VFR? Surely you can't just exclude the VFR?!!
cyclox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 11:01 AM   #46
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Ay, yi-yi! What is it with you SV650 people!

I'm still miffed that they didn't include a Concours.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:07 AM   #47
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Great for town?

Can you fly a Jumbo Jet from SFO to Oakland? Sure. Can the USS Enterprise cruise Lake Huron? You bet. Could Man O' War pull tourists through Central Park in a buggy? I'm certain he could. (If he were alive.)

Here's a paragraph you can paste into the story about riding around town:

"Both of these bikes are very suited for sedate, in-town riding or commuting. They are reasonably comfortable at low speeds thanks to reasonable clip-on and rearset heights, and the seats are firm yet comfortable. Cutouts at the front of the seats let short guys like me and Pete get their feet down securely at stop signs.

Taking off from a stop, both bikes are easy to manage, thanks to transparent clutches and spot-on fuel injection. Although the GSXR requires a bit of clutch slipping thanks to the to-the-moon 190mph gearing, the motor's silly amounts of torque make it simple enough to get going. After that, shifting is totally optional.

Riding around, both machines share share, nimble handling that lets you zip in and out of gaps in traffic with ease. They're not as much fun to ride in heavy traffic as a motard or sport-standard like a SV650, but what's better than doing 100 mph in a school zone? Nothing! (We are not condoning that behavior, by the way.)"

How's that?

Old 11-30-2005, 11:09 AM   #48
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Are you trying to give me a stroke?

One word track review of the VFR: Wallow!

Old 11-30-2005, 11:12 AM   #49
Gabe
Registered Member

Default That's an awesome idea!

I will call Progressive and Geico's marketing departments.

Old 11-30-2005, 11:53 AM   #50
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: Best of the Best: 2005 R6 v. 2005 GSX-R1000

GABE ANY WORD FROM THE HOLY MAN YET RE: PORK?

Yes it always turns out the better rider you are, the more you can use the extra power.

Since we're all really only playing at being racers, tho, the thing that's *****in about R6 is your RPM! Wringing the thing's neck to 14000 rpm alla time is like excellent Led Zep or something when you were 18. (they were a band)

Go back and watch Mamola video on MO from R6 launch a couple years ago. No doubt GSXR1000 is faster usually, but unless you're Mat Madlin making $$... R6 and ilk are tough to beat for most of us. O when will `06 R6 be up dammit? that one goes to 17.5...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote