Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-30-2005, 06:03 AM   #21
buzzard11
Registered Member

Default Re: Best of the Best: 2005 R6 v. 2005 GSX-R1000

Make sure you check out the video. I couldn't keep my eyes off of the speedo... insane how quickly it accelerates from 70 to 135.
buzzard11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2005, 06:06 AM   #22
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You guys really should have included a Geezer Glide in this story. When your girlfriend wants to bring hot rollers on a road trip, where the hell are you going to put them on a teensy little 600?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:20 AM   #23
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Au Contraire! 600s do not accelerate like the big boys did about 10 years ago.

True, 600s are capable of similar maximum acceleration from a standstill in a race setting, when the 600 rider had prepared the bike for the best launch. However, their roll-on characteristics aren't anything like one another. On public roads, roll-on performance is king.

-Sean

Old 11-30-2005, 06:31 AM   #24
maladg
Registered Member

Just think how much fun it would be to wallow the hog at Buttonwillow. The mind boggles. The brain freezes.

Don't forget the armchaps!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:49 AM   #25
erikthered
Founding Member

Awesome Article. I too am "Not Worthy", but nonetheless, after riding a couple of literbikes and a couple of 600's this fall bought myself an '05 ZX10R for my 40th birthday. I've been riding for 30 years, starting on dirtbikes, moving to britbikes, then UJM's, then tried a cruiser (not my bag, still fun, but not for me), a dualsport (Aprilia Capo) and my current collection includes a Buell X1 (highly Modified), A BMW K1200RS (Touring Bike!), and the Maximum Ninja. I was keeping up with the schlubs I ride with on the Buell, but was at it's reasonable limits. I rode a friends R1 and it was all over. I picked the Ninja because it's ergonomics fit my Long arm, short leg 6'3" gorilla frame best. (Did add a Steering Stabilizer, though). From a performance standpoint, you can't go wrong with any of the big 4.

I bought this bike knowing I couldn't utilize it's full potential, but for me it's about the experience. The intake honk, tire noise, motor roar, gear whine and wind, coupled with the simply insane level of stop-GO!-turn capability made this a no-brainer. I love to ride this bike, and popped a quick 2000 miles on it in October and Novemeber. I have healthy respect for what it'll do, but I do it a little better every time I ride. I'm with Sean. Go for the big one. Practice. More potential=Potentially more rewarding riding experience. I've never laughed so much in my life. My Sport-touring Beemer is now just a Touring bike, and my Buell is so lonely I've put it up for sale. Truly amazing machinery. Stunning.
erikthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:56 AM   #26
staff
Registered Member

Default Steve, I love your website!

And thanks very much for linking to us(although we are called plain old Motorcycle.com now). I'm sure you are a fast and capable rider, but riding both bikes back-to-back on the track (and comapring laptimes)might give you some new perspective.

Again, check out production racer's laptimes and see that the 600s are just faster on the track, given riders of the same skills. That tells me that if I had another 20 hours of track time (Ashley? How about it?!), my lap times for both bikes would drop equally, and I would still be faster on the R6. That goes for Sean as well; if he were putting 100% into setting a fast time, I think that given a track with shorter straights, he'd be faster on the R6 as well.

I felt faster on the 1000 on the street and track as well. It FELT like I was riding faster with less effort...but objectively I was going slower. It's all in the article!

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:05 AM   #27
staff
Registered Member

Default Ay, yi-yi! What is it with you SV650 people!

You guys are worse than Hare Krishnas. Look, both Sean and I have owned well set-up SVs and have [put a lot of miles on them. They are awesome bikes, but off the showroom floor, (or even with good tires), they don't have the suspension, brakes or ground clearance to keep up with an equal rider on an R6, street or track.

With much modification (cartridge forks, brake upgrades, motor/carb work, new shock, clip-ons/rearsets and slicks), a hard-core club racer will match the laptimes of a production 600 on the SV (at some tracks), but he's also spent over $10,000! (unless he buys an already setup bike, but you could buy a set-up 600 for the same price too!) Some bargain.

True, you shift more on the R6, but not as much as you'd think. It's just a marked difference because the GSXR requires almost no shifting at all...which in my mind takes away an element of what makes riding a motorcycle fast interesting and challenging. It's like winning a triathalon because you skipped the swimming.

Is this a sport, or what?
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:20 AM   #28
Fenton
Founding Member

There was some cat on a Road Glide at Infineon (sears point) raceway last month during Class. He was doing really well despite the fact he tipped the scales at 140.

He would have been near the top of the group on a sport bike.

The three police officers on rt's were a blast to pass though.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:21 AM   #29
travisyoung
Founding Member

Which one poses better in front of yer favorite coffee shop?
travisyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:23 AM   #30
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Steve, I love your website!

Nope, I'd still be faster on the GSX-R 1000. That's partly because at my very lightest, I might be able to get down to about 185Lbs and still have the strength to ride well. 185Lbs is still quite heavy for motorcycle racing and on the 1000 it's less of a factor than it is on an SV-650 or R6. However, corner enrty, transition and exit speed would be the same for me, given the same tires and suspension setup on all three. This means acceleration and speed would be what made the difference. Of course in a MO parking lot race through cones, I'd probably be faster on a slick-shod XR 100. -Sean