Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-25-2005, 05:54 PM   #41
godzukisan
Registered Member

Default Re: 2006 Honda 599

The bike should sell for $6399. It's that simple. The fact that it doesn't results in an article heavy with attempted justification. Utilmately, that will not matter. Do you pay $30 for a very good bottle of wine when others at $20 or less taste just as good? Not usually. It is a basic bike with poor value.
godzukisan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2005, 06:06 PM   #42
SlowJeff
Founding Member

Default Honest Review Raises Questions

As a long time 2 paragraph reader, insipired to subscribe that the 599 was being reviewed, I am pleased to finally see an honest review regarding a bike most moto rags pass over due to non-USA intrest.

I made the mistake two years ago of buying a 919 as my first bike. Not that I was not mature not to hurt myself thru throttle control, but I was inexperienced enough to not ride when tired. (I fell asleep while in traffic and totalled the bike) Nine monthes later I pick up a 1989/96 FZ400/600 and have ridden that bike to work daily (50+ mi/day) for over a year now.

Now the wife says I ought to buy a new bike since I have acquireed and she points me to the 599 as a sensible option. Great! Time to research again and knowing now what I should have known when I bought the 919, I research the "real specs" I am interested in.

A "naked/standard" bike is minimalistic and ought to be conserned with only a couple attributes as it relates to the total cost of ownership value:

Brakes

Suspension

Ergonomics/control

Motor

(in that order too)

Everyone knows why these points are in this order, so there is no need to discuss these points. However, what does need to be stressed is the importance of doing each of these categories right; meaning giving proper technology:value ratio.

Brakes should be 4 pot, not 2. ability to stop is primary and 2 pot brakes are a cheap excuse and doubley cheap for doing 2 pot on 2 front rotors. All the looks but a close eye is unimpressed.

Suspension should be modern and adjustable even two riders that weigh the same do not ride the same, or are on the same road surfaces. I am 6'4" and 250lbs. (not fat, just a proportionate tall guy) I wear full gear everyday and carry a tank bag with my jeans/trousers, shirt, shoes and laptop/work papers. I probably wiegh in at 280 or so fully geared up with luggage. Now, with the "average" rider supposedly around 150-180lbs, I dwell a good +100 on whatever is "normal".

So when Honda says people will use the default suspension we give them because we told them it was good, I cry "bull puckey". To make that bike act like it was for me I need to spend a minimum of $1000 doing full custom stuff. (or around $6K if you are can afford Oh-leeeeans internals.)

Ergos are good on the 599. Well, the ergos are almost good. They have a funny pull back to the handle-bars causing awkward wrist positions, making you desire to replace the handle-bar. Don't believe me, check out most of Europe where this bike owns the marketplace, handlebar=uncomfortable.

Motor..... well the fact that they are sellling a detuned F2 motor instead of a detuned F4i motor should say something to everyone: "WHY?" Hasn't Honda progressed in the past 15 years to provide better "detuned"/retuned motors?

At the end of the day:

Why should I upgrade from a 1989 FZR400 frame with a 1996 FZR 600 engine, steel braided brakes, 4 pot calipers, Ohlins rear shock (with linkage) with a purachase price way under $1K for a 2006 599 at $7400?

Because I don't have an inverted fork and digital speedometer?

Come On!! My bike is 17 years old and the NEW naked bike by Honda is not an upgrade component wise?!

Thank you for your article. I think my $12 for a subscription saved me $7388.

I WILL buy a new bike in the next 2 monthes, but the desire to buy a 599 just went way down. (If anyone from Honda reads this, the reason why is the brakes and suspension--upgrade them)
SlowJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:23 PM   #43
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Your Opinion, Stated as Fact

A Buell with that kind of handling, braking and horsepower would (and does) sell for a lot more money than $7400. And Honda will sell every 599 they bring in, so just applying some simple economic principals, we see that it is indeed worth what they are asking.

I think what I find so irksome is this old-school notion that if something is made by a Japanese factory it is somehow only a commodity and should be judged solely on objective factors; price, performance, economy. But if it's a Harley or Ducati, than it can be overpriced; "it's a Harley thing, you wouldn't understand."

I said in my article that it was about 20% overpriced, but that doesn't take away from the benefits the bike offers a lucky owner. The Honda Hawk was similarly overpriced, but now, 15 years later, a clean, low-mileage Hawk will be worth 90% of its retail value. Is it "overpriced"?

Nowhere do I try to justify the price of the bike, other than to say that labor is more in Italy than Japan, and that the Euro produces an unfavorable exchange rate. Those are facts, not "attempted justifications". You make it sound like I'm shilling for Honda, and I just don't see it.

Thanks for reading MO and taking time to give us your input!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:33 PM   #44
Gabe
Registered Member

Default I'm Forwarding this to Honda

Because I think they should read it. Honda lacks a decent standard bike at a fair price, and I think they should sell one here. Something to replace the Nighthawk 750, especially.

Everything you say is true, but think about this: if you're 100 pounds heavier than an average rider, even with adjustable suspension you'll need new springs and a revalve, as adjusters only work well over a fairly narrow range of weights.

My Triumph was OK, but I took my suspension to a tuner, and for $400 my suspesnion now feel great! I ride faster than I have for years. Good deal!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 11:41 PM   #45
gforces
Founding Member

Default Brits pay only $6,094.53 USD equivalent for this bike

I like it, but not that much. You could get a Superhawk in great condition for less.
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 02:53 AM   #46
OhioSteve
Founding Member

The 2006 599 is in Ohio showrooms now. The bike's appearance was a pleasant surprise to me. The new tank and instrument cluster really do give the bike more charisma. The pictures don't do it justice. I also loved the riding position.

The bike's closest competitor is the FZ-6. It is also a premium quality Japanese sporty bike. Unfortunately for Honda, the FZ-6 offers fuel injection, a centerstand, and a small fairing for about $600 less than the Honda.

I really liked the new 599's appearance and ergonomics, but it would be tough to justify buying it over an FZ-6.
OhioSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 02:58 AM   #47
OhioSteve
Founding Member

The ZZR-600 is another tough competitor for the 599. The 2006 ZZR looks sexy in silver, it handles like a serious sportbike, and it costs the same as a 599.
OhioSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 03:12 AM   #48
jhof989620
Registered Member

I was a new rider and purchaser in 2004. Being a honda girl (cycle/mower/car), I always walk in expecting to pay more for a honda over another make that is comprable. Call it smart puchasing or a fool for marketing...but I will say honda has never let me down.

I clearly remember that warm summer day when I went in to buy a shiney new Nighthawk 750 only to be told that it was no longer made (still crying). I sat on every bike in the store, then sat on them again. The top two were the 599 and the Aero 750. The only things that held me back from the 599 was seat height (I'm 5'7) and position. My feet were somewhat flat on the 599 but the position felt, at least at the time to be kinda sporty. So I left with ridiculously low seat height of the the Aero 750.

If I could do it all over again, I would still cry about the Nighthawk 750 but my butt would be on the 599. Live and learn.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:38 AM   #49
giuliom
Registered Member

Does anyone realize that the 599 won MO's own comparo of middleweights a year or two ago? Go read the comments of the riders: one (forgot who) said he rode it aggressively down the Angeles Crest with one hand, and that the bike was handling so well that he never felt he needed to put down the other hand (fast pace, rough road, etc. and all). In other words, it could be that unless you need to go to track days, this is actually a great bike. I know that it is amazingly popular in Europe (also that might mean tons of aftermarket parts). I do agree that the price is a bit steep. I bet you can get it for less than that and then you have a Honda. My 50k+ miles Nighthawk 750, which I use nearly daily, let me down ONCE in 3 1/2 years, because one of the wires in the starting button came loose. Other than that, not even as much as a hiccup, and I do everything from fairly aggressive Angeles Crest rides, to trips to Northern California, to commuting in LA. Go re-read that comparo, because it is really interesting:

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompa...ds/index.motml
giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 04:14 AM   #50
GrufRude
Registered Member

AMEN! My son got a 2004 919 in August 2004 for lots less than the list on this 599, and the bike is a JOY to ride.

Regardless of the fact that it doesn't have bleeding edge tech, the thing has a gorgeously tractable motor, stops like it's equipped with an arresting hook, and handles urban traffic and mountain twisties like a 100 hp motocross bike. Somehow, it just feels like an extension of yourself.

These 'Hornets' are clearly over-priced at MSRP, but somehow greater than the sum of their parts and are generally available at steep discounts toward the end of the season.
GrufRude is offline   Reply With Quote