Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-23-2005, 02:21 AM   #1
tokoloshgolem
Founding Member

Default Re: Visibility at all costs.

It's actually illegal in some countries. First post BTW.
tokoloshgolem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-23-2005, 02:24 AM   #2
dleclerc
Founding Member

I'm not strong in the electronic department and haven't looked for them myself, however I've seen a fair few Harleys with LED turn signals that stay lit and flash when turning.

However most of them seemed to have an odd star pattern light which looked goofy. Then again you would never miss the blinking.

So a starting point may be looking into some of the LED options.
dleclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:41 AM   #3
dragcab
Founding Member

I agree with you. I did just what you are talking about to the turn signals on my Valkyrie. Since I was not exactly sure of what I was doing, the kit took me all day to install, but now that I understand it, it would only take about 2 hours. The kit I am refering to is from a compnay called The Electrical Connection, and costs about $50. In the daytime there is not much difference in visibility, but at night it makes a huge difference. Check out www.electricalconnection.com.
dragcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:44 AM   #4
migs
Founding Member

if its visibility you want, well most underbone riders here in the P.I. like being seen -- they even have lights under the tail of their mini-crotch rockets with sorts of stuff that really light up their bikes. they even have sound system installed ( i ***** you not)

anyway the bulbs in the turn light needs to be a dbl contact bulb - add a wire connected from the tailight to the indicators housing you might also need to replace the bulb housing with a dbl contact type. viola! your turn lights stay on - and blink when activated.

we even have guys that have signal lights blink when braking.
migs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:46 AM   #5
migs
Founding Member

if its visibility you want, well most underbone riders here in the P.I. like being seen -- they even have lights under the tail of their mini-crotch rockets with sorts of stuff that really light up their bikes. they even have sound system installed ( i kid you not)

anyway the bulbs in the turn light needs to be a dbl contact bulb - add a wire connected from the tailight to the indicators housing you might also need to replace the bulb housing with a dbl contact type. viola! your turn lights stay on - and blink when activated.

Old 11-23-2005, 02:47 AM   #6
egschade
Registered Member

If you have any mechanical/electrical ability, a fairly easy fix is to replace the single element socket in your turn signals with a dual element. Run one wire to your tail light (not brake!) and the other to your turn signal wire. Same thing can be done in the front.

You can also just go the full-dresser route and add running lights all over the back of the bike.

K1200LTe "Shamu"

It's not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years...
egschade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:48 AM   #7
migs
Founding Member

its visibility you want, well most underbone riders here in the P.I. like being seen -- they even have lights under the tail of their mini-crotch rockets with sorts of stuff that really light up their bikes. they even have sound system installed ( i kid you not)

Old 11-23-2005, 03:02 AM   #8
RtLt
Founding Member

This guy Chet @ Rattlebars has several great tips for making your bike safer and more fun. Here is a link that will help with your search for running lights, http://www.rattlebars.com/mtz/signals.html. These tips and tricks are mostly for Valks and VTXs, but I do not see why they could not be adapted to other bikes.

Not affliated with, nor do I work for Chet and/or Rattlebars.

Rtlt
RtLt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:49 AM   #9
iamz
Founding Member

To add to this post, it is for sure illegal (in the US) to have amber lights on the back of your vehicle for anything other than turn signals.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 04:41 AM   #10
tripletango
Founding Member

In Euroland many riders wear a highly reflective light weight yellow cover over their armour. A good idea.

In high density areas I ride with lights on hi beam and move the bike around in the lane to be noticed.

Brights really helps with geezers turning across your bows. Dimmed lights in bright sun can hardly be seen!

Most of the problems occur when the cager in front can't see you or ignores you.

The brighter the lights the more hesitant they are to mess with your space it seems.

When riding in a group I dim the brights. If there is another rider going my direction at my speed I usually run staggered behind him or her as the more the merrier. Heck you may even be seen by the cager as you approach from the rear with a little luck.
tripletango is offline   Reply With Quote