Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-23-2005, 04:54 PM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Visibility at all costs.

I'll solve your problem for you. Find the motorcycle with the hugest alternator output... probably a Gold Wing. Attach every junk accessory light and chrome plated doodad you can find. Buy an old policebike blue light on a pole and change the lens to amber (blue is illegal) and mount it too. Better yet. Get 4 of those pole lights and mount them all. Then get one of those airhorns that plays "Dixie", mount it too and set it so that it runs constantly.

Problem solved. People will definitely see you.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-24-2005, 01:26 AM   #22
xlr8r
Founding Member

It doesn't matter how many lights you've got on, the guy in the car has to be looking for you. If he's not looking, he's not looking, and that's that. The answer is in driver education, not in extra lights; and in the meantime, assume that every car driver is actually, physically, Stevie-Wonder blind, and travel at a speed which gives you room to stop in those moments when he does what you always knew he would. The moment that you think that he must have seen you because you've got all your lights on is the moment you have your accident.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 03:08 AM   #23
DougandCarol
Founding Member

From a fellow "old fart: My 03 Yamaha Warrior uses dual element 1157 bulbs for the front turn signals and 1156 single element bulbs for the rear signals. Front and rear signals were purchased from EBAY, and the innards disassembled and sorted. I swapped the dual element parts for the single element parts in the rear signal housings. The cylindrical sleeve that holds the bulb bases took a bit of prying with a screwdriver to loosen and remove. Next, a fused positive (power lead) and negative wire (aluminum frame!) was run from the battery along the outside of the existing wire harness to the rear of the bike. The wire harness was wrapped in heavy mil electrical tape and a spiral plastic loom to limit moisture and abrasion issues. I then added a sealed 12 VDC automotive relay mounted under the rear fender. The coil wires were attached to the rear "always hot" brake light wire so that the when the ignition switch was activated, the new relay engaged. The newly installed positive power lead was connected to one side of the relay contacts while the other side was connected to both of the lower wattage element lead of the turn signals. I reused as many original wire connectors as possible. The new wire connectors were soldered, heat shrinked and wrapped with electrical tape. Viola, the bike now has visible rear running lights. The bike has over 10,000 commuter miles of travel in sun, rain and one blizzard since this modification with no issues. Since OEM parts were used, there is no physical difference in appearance with no dependency on a "load balancerÂ’. Remember to swap and install the three-signal wire grommet/seal into the rear signal housings. For those of us in the snow belt, Mag-Chloride is conductive so seal all electrical connections carefully.
DougandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:47 AM   #24
coxjj
Founding Member

I just purchased a VTX 1300 and am looking to increase the chances that someone will see me. I just wanted to say thanks for posting the great sites.
coxjj is offline   Reply With Quote