Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-23-2005, 06:01 AM   #11
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Turn signal running lights

I noticed the front of my 2004 Gold Wing the turn signal lights stay on at a reduced but seeable level at night adding to the illuminated width of my vehicle.

I also purchased the fog / driving lights and leave them on.

But the one thing I think helps a lot from the back is the optional spoiler with built in LED brake lights like on a car, they really have an effect on following cars when I hit the brakes.

I also saw a guy that had his hooked up so the LED brake lights in the rear spoiler were lit sosolid and then blinked rapidly then slower when applied. Really got my attention.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-23-2005, 06:38 AM   #12
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Honda Lights & Electrical Connection

The Honda forward lights use a two bulb setup. One is a running light, the second a turn indicator. The running light goes off and stays off as long as the flasher is activated, to increase the perceived difference in intensity. Little touches like this are the unsung benefits of buying a more expensive bike like the VFR.

I've dealt with the electrical connection before. I like the product, but it took several calls and 3 months to get my parts after they had my money. Maybe I just caught them at a bad time?
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 06:40 AM   #13
oldtim
Founding Member

Default Re: Visibility at all costs.

Try these guys. I have done business with them and have been happy. They have some innovative lighting products. http://www.customdynamics.com/
oldtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 06:58 AM   #14
Tigercub
Founding Member

A couple comments.

"As an "older" biker, I am much more concerned with safety than I used to be"

I doubt that. You made it this far haven't you? I bet you've always been concerned about safety.

Triumph does turn signals the best (perhaps). A single button, push left for the left signal and right for the right signal and push it in to turn it off.

Harleys have running lights in the front of their FLs, which can be on all the time, but nothing in the rear. But, if you can install a dual filament bulb then the the one filament can be wired-in to be left on all the time. You should be able to get away with splicing them into the headlight and tail lights so they operate the same way. You know how most bikes shut off the lights to start the motor.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 07:19 AM   #15
domyalex
Founding Member

My '99 CBR600 F4 had standard front running lights and it was an US model, so it seems that it'd be pretty easy for the manufacturer to put running lights even on a not-so-expensive bike.

And yes, they are definetly better than the normal ones.
domyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 07:33 AM   #16
iamz
Founding Member

"Triumph does turn signals the best (perhaps). A single button, push left for the left signal and right for the right signal and push it in to turn it off."

Ummmm?,...both my Honda and Suzuki are exactly like that.

iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:31 AM   #17
Vlad
Registered Member

Considering that the Hurt Report indicated that lack of visibility was a major contributor to M/C accidents, I have always been very interested in augmenting the lighting on my bike. I use a headlight modulator for the front. I have had good experience with units from both www.kriss.com and www.kisantech.com. These companies also make a variety of other products that will enable you to enhance your rear lighting as well. www.hyperlites.com has an excellent kit that adds two small led arrays to the rear of the bike. They are running lights until the brakes are applied, then they start to flash. Adding lights to the front is pretty easy too. motolight.com has some great driving lights for the front. You can also get a set of driving lights from an auto parts store for about $20. However, you have to be able to figure out the wiring and mounting on your own, which can be tricky.

Also some bikes have a dual element bulb in the rear turn signals. You can run a wire from your tail light to the unused, spare filament and make rear running lights.

I really notice the difference when I ride. People see me better. Some flash me to let me know my lights are "messed up," when the modulator is running, but I figure, what the hell, at least they saw me.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:09 AM   #18
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Kisan Technology's SignalMinder has a mode that will enable your turn signals as running lights front and rear. It is illegal to have amber running lights in the rear, but I believe you're unlikely to find that law enforced. If you want to be legal, as somebody else mentioned, Electrical Connection offers kits that add red LED lights inside your turn signal housings. Here are some links to various suppliers of "safety" add-ons:

Kisan Technology

Hyperlites

Kriss

Motolights

Signal Dynamics

Gizmo Mill

Moto Equip Reflectives

Cycle Gadgets

Electrical Connection

Ride Safer

Air Horns at Adventurers Workshop

Despite all these links, I think the best advice I've heard is "Do everything you can to make your bike more visible, then ride like it's invisible." Don't ever count on the cagers seeing you.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:26 AM   #19
mii54ws
Founding Member

I am also a old fart biker and always slip on over my riding outfit a high visibility safety vest. The ones that cost less than $10 are junk; always flapping about. I think my good one cost about $12, but cannot find the source again.

I have also installed those always on rear turn signal lights. Mine are a ring of 10 very bright LED lights that really stand out at night. Also I installed a Cobra Light Bar which is super bright. I have had SUV's flash their lights at me when I'm on low beam; high bean the light bar is off.
mii54ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:47 AM   #20
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I've found that a bright orange Altadena milk crate bunjee corded to the luggage rack of a CB350 works wonders.