Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-19-2005, 02:20 PM   #31
ofreen
Registered Member

Default Re: Snake Oil, Revisited

All of this misses the point. If the oil additive industries' marketing skills are up to snuff, they can convince people that their products make their engines run better and last longer. If people believe this, then they are happy. It is good that people are happy. All those guys are doing is selling happiness by the bottle. Is that so wrong? Didn't you guys ever see "The Rainmaker?"
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2005, 02:56 PM   #32
FrankS1
Founding Member

Standard Oil of Califonia (now part of some even bigger oil company) began adding Techron to its premium gas quite a while ago. Later they (or some other company) began selling Techron all by itself to add to any other gasoline.

The stuff actually does some good, if your particular gas has left deposits in and around the fuel injector nozzles.

In days of yore, when only a few top of the line Euro bikes had fuel injection, Techron was a waste of money for everyone else. It was never claimed to do any particular good for carburetors. Now that it's getting hard to find a new bike with a carburetor, it seems to be worthwhile to a least add some Techron from time to time. If you have a motorcycle that HAS to have premium gas to run without pinging, you might as well buy premium gas with Techron or equivalent.
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 03:06 PM   #33
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: Oil is Oil!

I don't know about the rumour, but I seem to recall something similar to this being related in Robert E. Fulton, Jr.'s book "One Man Caravan". Can't cross-check it right now, as my copy is "out on loan" to someone.

Whitehorse Press is the publisher, good read if you like the "Moto-Adventure" style of story: http://www.whitehorsepress.com/produ...oducts_id=1674

Synopsis: Man decides (in 1932) to ride around the world on a motorcycle. Friend convinces him to document it, including motion-picture film. What follows is an adventure like nothing you can imagine.

-Scott
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 01:47 AM   #34
Zakman
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle specific oil?

Look at the API Service circle on the oil container. You want to run oil with a blank lower half in the circle. As I understand it for the sake of you wet clutch you should avoid oils that have energy saving in this half as this will mess with the clutch plates.
Zakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 02:46 AM   #35
williamsport
Founding Member

I think you may be reading your results all wrong. Before the fan would start when the engine was fully warm as indicated on the dial. Sounds correct. After changing to rotella you have the fan kicking on at half temp. Sounds as if there is a lack of lubrication causing hot spots in the engine and causing your fan to kick on . I run rotella when I first get a bike for the detergent factor. It does clean out a motor well. I'm sure you've noticed the change in the gearbox being not as smooth with it. I put in the factory oil, wear earplugs so I can't hear potential problems(imagined), and convince myself everything is going to be ok. This usually gets me 60 or 70K miles without any problems.
williamsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:05 AM   #36
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: Motorcycle specific oil?

I had thought lately, with limited research, that Honda's HP4 without Moly was state of the art lubrication for "a modern motorcycle engine" ie engine, trans and clutch all using a common supply of oil. I switched to this semi-synthetic oil after the "break in" oil and after about 12,000 miles using a "regular" oil. I can't speak to the oils "quality" but the transmission on my ZRX shifts noticeably "slicker" with it.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:14 AM   #37
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

All they're doing is creating opportunities for consumer satisfaction!
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:54 AM   #38
ofreen
Registered Member

Well, it would probably go 1000 miles on 3-in-1 oil.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 05:24 AM   #39
BackStreet
Founding Member

You are just as guilty! You make claims the products DON'T work and yet you don't offer any proof.

All that Slick 50 people were "guilty" of was making claims that they could not prove around 50% less engine wear.
BackStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 05:34 AM   #40
BackStreet
Founding Member

You are just as guilty! You make claims the products DON'T work and yet you don't offer any proof.

All that Slick 50 people were "guilty" of was making claims that they could not prove around 50% less engine wear.
BackStreet is offline   Reply With Quote