Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   2006 Honda Goldwing Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/3112-2006-honda-goldwing-review.html)

gbrummett 11-09-2005 12:40 PM

2004 Goldwing for 5,338 miles now...

Ok, have had a 2004 Goldwing for 5,338 miles now and can report the following.

Plus.

1. This has got to be the ultimate sleeper, just love wasting Mustangs and Camaros at red lights.

2. First time motorcycle passengers love this bike, have taken several people for their first ride on a motorcycle and they said they would have only ridden a Gold Wing as they were to afraid to ride anything else.

3. Plenty of space to store my stuff, if you want a lot of cargo space this is the bike.

4. Handles much better then it looks.

5. Has never over heated once even when stuck in traffic here in Mesa Arizona on a 117°F day.

Minus

1. They kept my bike for 2 months to do that frame recall, hello!! How about a free rental or something.

2. The stupid passenger intercom holder keeps falling off and they can't seem to fix it at the dealer.

3. The left side cargo compartment release lever stops working and they can't seem to fix that either.

4. Gas mileage was only 33 to 35 during breakin but it's now 40 to 44.

5. Everyone thinks they need to pass you or get in front of you because they think you are going to go slow.

Minus

ValkBandit 11-09-2005 12:47 PM

a message to the sportbike weenies ...

one day you will graduate from adolescence, and you will grow to appreciate ammenities and the ability to ride further than the neighborhood starbucks, where you swill lattes and swap lies with your dread-locked cronies. when you arrive at that point in your life you may want to:

- give thanks that your squidly behavior did not get you killed young

- try to tolerate the mindless ramblings of the testosteroniacs that straffe you on twisty backroads across america

- buy a gold wing or K-LT and take long, liesurely site-seeing trips across north america

until then, try to tolerate us old folk. we appreciate bikes like the gold wing.

ncelik 11-09-2005 01:20 PM

Re: 2006 Honda Goldwing Review

Presumably, you lean to make the ride more enjoyable/fun. For me a Miata will provide more fun and functionality. But neither the Miata nor the Goldwing will be exciting enough or provide the functionality I need. To maximize both, I separate the functions into separate machines.

If I want functional, I use my car. If I want fun I use my bike. For the price of the top-level Goldwing you can get both an appliance-type-car and a sportsbike and you may be better off.

And that is my beef with the Goldwing (and bikes like it). They try to combine the two and succeed in neither particulary well. I don't think I am the only one thinking like that - just look at the other posts here mentioning a car in some way.

I completely understand that they are people who like this kind of bike, and I have nothing against the bike nor the people who ride it. It's a free country. I'll even wave! It just does nothing for me personally.

redbandit_1 11-09-2005 02:34 PM

Re: 2004 Goldwing for 5,338 miles now...

I agree. most of the negative comment are from people who have never ridden the wing. Coming from sportbikes i too was skeptical, Last year i rented a wing in Florida and did 600 miles in one day. I was forever changed, the bike handles like on rails, it has loads of low end torque and passing other cars at 80-90 mph was just a matter of smooth throttle application, it has loads of cornering capabilities, great brakes and the stereo comes through clear as in a car at 80mph. Sure it not the tool for railing thru the twisties, but that type of behaviour should be taken to your local track anyway. When it comes to eating serious milage on the eisenhower interstate system nothing comes close.

jeffs 11-09-2005 02:42 PM

I often hear people make the Miata comment.

Every time I hear someone say it, I have to wonder if you're truly a motorcyclist. Yea, you (everyone who says it) may own a motorcycle, but I'd guess it comes out MAYBE once a week for the trip to starbucks.

I don't care how big, small, heavy, light, fast, slow or boring a motorcycle is, it's still a motorcycle - and in my mind, comparing one to a car is like comparing a car to a city bus.

sportbikebandit 11-09-2005 03:53 PM

Great Review. I agree about the tail lights, don't like that style on cars or bikes... Seen some cops riding the new Wing here in the Seattle area. I must be getting old and unsquidly cause I am starting to like Gold Wings, Victory cruisers and Buells even some Harleys... I applaud Honda for pushing the envelope..

.I understand the appeal of the Wing. Here in Seattle there is a Wing drill team. I used watch their practices before I rode motorcycles. I was impressed then by the skill of the riders and agility of the machines. Now after riding a few miiles (27,000) I am awe struck by those guys and have even more appreciation for the rider and the machine

Great work Fred Thanks

sportbikebandit 11-09-2005 03:55 PM

Re: a message to the sportbike weenies ...

I hear ya now... :)

Haird 11-09-2005 04:03 PM

Trunk space? Room for three?

12er 11-09-2005 04:05 PM

I can fit on a goldwing, I can wear a Miata only as a shoe...

I used to think as you do, till I rented a K12LT for a weekend. The wife and I went up the Northern California coast, scraping pegs at over 100mph with the stereo blasting. I was totally shocked at how well that 800lb pig handled. Want some air? Hit the button with my thumb and presto, the windshield is down and the wind is blowing. I rented it mainly for her as it was her first time riding with me, so I wanted to make it as pleasurable as possible. I was totally blown away when I actually had a blast on the thing (hence the peg scraping over a ton). 1000 miles in two days was way too short needless to say.

While I wouldnt own one as my ONLY bike, I can sure see where one could fit in the stable. All the joys of riding while in total comfort and can run circles around any cruiser (and many standards) on the market. The new wing can run neck and neck with a 911 to 120mph leaving your Miata in the weeds. Dont knock em till you try em.

Haird 11-09-2005 04:07 PM

The choice of shape and color is a subconscious reflection of the designer's self image.