Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (
-   MO Reader Feedback (
-   -   Paris Bike Show (

teknoman 11-02-2005 04:30 AM

Re: Paris Bike Show
Thanks for your comments and pics!As usual,you euro,s get all the cool bikes!

SRMark 11-02-2005 04:34 AM

The girl on the air bag bike looks like a container of Jiffy Pop whose kernels are about to issue forth. Seems appropriate imagery for an air bag.

teknoman 11-02-2005 04:57 AM

I like my jiffy pop!.kernels included!

teknoman 11-02-2005 04:58 AM

Re: Deauville
Too bad we won,t get the deauville.I think honda would make a killing on it , here in the states.

SaturnV 11-02-2005 05:42 AM

Re: Deauville
I agree - would be a nice bike to get here. Seems awfully practical (although that may contribute to the fact that I've occasionally seen it referred to as 'Dull-ville' in some British magazines).

oldtim 11-02-2005 06:00 AM

Re: Captions please...
That looks like a nice bike. For me it is all about humane ergos. Honda often seems to reserve its more interesting bikes for Europe.

nweaver 11-02-2005 06:19 AM

Info on the Deauville...

shaft drive, 27L left bag, 26L right bag integrated luggage (there's even a connection BETWEEN the bags for longer stuff, and optional large-lids for more capacity), new fairing, bored out engine w new heads, available ABS, remote preload, an optional amplifier/speaker system (hook up to your MP3 player in one of the LOCKING gloveboxes)

Claims 48 kw (65 hp), so about equal to a VStrom 650 in the power department.

Honda really is missing out. It wouldn't be a GREAT seller in the US, but its low price (6000 pounds compared to 7200 pounds for a CBR-600RR) and great tourability would probably sell suprisingly well in the US.

akcarlson 11-02-2005 06:53 AM

Obligatory Hawk Post
So, Honda's using the NT650 motor in two concept bikes, those weirdo super-scooters, and one production bike, the Deauville. Interesting.

Even more interesting, and here I quote Mr. Schvetz:<blockquote>Another noticeable trend was that of low-positioned, short and stubby mufflers. These shorties also look like dead ringers to MotoGP exhaust designs while the required volume needed for proper silencing is more or less achieved through small rectangular silencers sitting under the gearbox. A lower C of G, better aerodynamics and more centralized mass are the official advantages. ...plain common sense in action.</blockquote>

Where were these advanced designs first seen? Are the a product of MotoGP development? Nope. 1988 Honda Hawk GT.

The facts are in, folks: even 17 years later, Hawks simply rule.

sarnali 11-02-2005 06:54 AM

I thought the air bag looked like a fat girl bent over the bars, who'd want to stick their face in that?

maladg 11-02-2005 07:39 AM

Re: Obligatory Hawk Post
The Deauville has been around for about 16 squintillion years over across the pond.

The britmag set usually mentions it with mild derision, sort of like say- JohnnieB talking about someone on an old CX500 Std festooned with decorative milkcrate.

I imagine the reason the Deauville never was brought here could be summed up in two words: Pacific Coast.