Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-02-2001, 06:34 AM   #1
jimngo
Founding Member

Default Re: Computer Controller Feedback

So, do you countersteer to lean the bike? Or do you turn the handlebars like your kids' tricycle?
jimngo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2001, 07:04 AM   #2
jng
Founding Member

Default The Best Controller + Internet Competition?

I saw this when you first reported on it. It looks OK, but I still don't think you'll be able to beat a dual-analog gamepad controller for this game. The handlebar idea is nice, but it is so far from simulating real riding that what you give up in fine control with a dual-analog gamepad is frustrating.

For example, with the Interact Hammerhead FX (or Logitech Wingman Rumblepad), the left joystick is left-right and the right joystick is gas/brake (up and down). I use the trigger buttons under either index finger for shift up/shift down, and the buttons on the bottom of the controller for sit up/tuck in. With practice using these controls, you can get some lurid Hayden/Roberts/Haga slides into and out of corners. The replays are great, perhaps I'll post some for download for those of you that have 2001.

Also, there is a network game feature built into Superbike 2001. Perhaps MO should host (via your superfast connections and servers right?) an Internet head-to-head championship for the loyal readers, with the winner getting to go to an upcoming testing day at Willow? I'm only suggesting this because I know I'll win and want to ride the new 2001 bikes!

What do you think MO?

Jeff
jng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 07:52 AM   #3
CBR1000F
Founding Member

I had the exact same question that jimngo did: Do you countersteer and lean, or just turn the 'bars like it was a trike, or worse yet... a CAR? *shudder*
Old 02-02-2001, 08:05 AM   #4
RobGixxer750
Founding Member

Default My guess is...

My guess is by default you steer it like a car, BUT almost every game these days will let you invert X and Y axis. I believe you can even do it within the game control panel in Windows. So you will be able to set it up for countersteering like a bike. I seriously doubt they incorporated some way to lean the controller, like a bike, as that would require the game to be designed around the controllers extra axis.

Rob
RobGixxer750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 08:07 AM   #5
huskerdu
Founding Member

I bought one of these for my son for Christmas and he actually asked me to return it a few days later. Pretty surprising from a 9 year old but he was right..... it just didn't work very well.
huskerdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 09:05 AM   #6
RzRob
Founding Member

I met the manufacturer of the Ducati Corse handlebars at the Consumer Electronic Show in Las Vegas and was really excited about the product. I hope to be importing them myself very soon and will try to keep the price under $50 US.

I also saw another brand (for Playstation etc..) that wasn't for PCs and it was being test marketed at Target Stores. They had it in the Target in Anaheim Hills, CA. I also saw that Yahoo (The Internet people) also are introducing a PC (usb) one too. It'll be a bit pricier.

Moto On

RzRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 09:46 AM   #7
xmike5
Founding Member

Default 600 Shootout

Man, you guys are really dragging your feet, er, I mean knees on this one.
xmike5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 10:15 AM   #8
BrianV187
Founding Member

I recently purchased the Logitech Wingman rumblepad, and the dual analog control is really nice! For those of you who have been playing with the keyboard, the difference is night and day! One odd thing though. For some reason, I wasn't able to assign the right stick's y-axis(up/down) to throttle/brake. But I can assign the left stick's y-axis to throttle/brake. Anyone else have this problem?
BrianV187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 11:45 AM   #9
huskerdu
Founding Member

Default Re: I don

YES!!!! I've got AMA Superbike which I waited forever for and was very excited to get. My excitement ended when I got it and discovered it's almost impossible to really play well. I'd venture to guess it'd be easier to actually race in a real superbike race!!! I know they tried to make it as realistic as possible but they just made it too damn hard. I thought I was just a geek until I read a magazine article stating that they felt it was difficult to control also.

My son's got Excitebike for N64 and that's a pretty good game to play.

huskerdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 12:04 PM   #10
Haga
Founding Member

Default Re: The Best Controller + Internet Competition?

Jeff,

To be the man you gotta beat the man.

Haga is offline   Reply With Quote