Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-24-2005, 08:30 PM   #1
eekadog
Founding Member

Default Re: Dirty's Playbike -- The DRZ 400 SM

cool bike...but when i sat on one at the dealer the seat gave me a wedgie...
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2005, 11:02 PM   #2
gas_pig
Founding Member

DRZ400S joined the dirt models in 2002? I guess that makes my 2001 a collector item. Sweet! Anyone want to buy mine for say....$10k?
Old 10-24-2005, 11:25 PM   #3
blitz
Founding Member

Hmmmm. No cush on the rear hub. How long is that bike going to last on the street before you're replacing the transmission? Even my 1971 SL100 had a cushioned rear sprocket.

That's the problem with converted dirt bikes. They're REALLY hard on the drive train. MO should make this a long term test, beating the crap out of this thing. My guess is Suzuki figures that it will last past warranty, so it's no problem. However, i'd be careful spending my own $$$.
blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:35 PM   #4
gas_pig
Founding Member

I've had no problem riding my DRZ400S hard off or on road and I'm not gentle with the shifting. The knobs are your 'cush' when you drop gears quickly on the street. Plus it's fun to lock up the rear a bit going around corners. Probably shortens chain life a bit though.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:35 PM   #5
WeeBee
Registered Member

Go Sean!!!
WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 02:04 AM   #6
pplassm
Founding Member

Dirt bikes are a hoot on the street. I modified a KTM 620 with 17" wheels and updated plastic. It's got much more power than the DRZ and cruises easily on the highway, yet is still extremely agile. Oh, and, yes, it does have a cush drive.

If you really want a good supermoto, build one yourself.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:52 AM   #7
SRMark
Founding Member

That bike was built for the roads where I live: paved mountain roads, plenty of sharp up-hill and down-hill turns with a goodly mixed of pavement irregularities. I do think the lack of cush drive would tear the zook a new one pretty soon though. I used to have a spare set of wheels with road tires mounted on them for my klr650 and it worked just great, if a little slowly. It, however, had cush drive and took all the abuse I could throw at it.

Since it is getting harder and harder to get a converted dirt bike past DMV staffers, the street legal DRZ ain't a bad way to go. It may not be fast but, when you're riding roads where 60mph will get you killed, speed isn't that important. But acceleration sure is fun to have. Now if we could just drop KX or CR motor in there...Better yet, just go buy a KTM.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:13 AM   #8
teknoman
Registered Member

Sounds like a movie in the making!Good plot ,cliffhangers.Pyscho biker ruminations about soccer moms.Yep! Can I be your agent?
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:36 AM   #9
iamz
Founding Member

Nice review Sean. I'm not sure what was fact and what was fiction.

I considered one of these to complement my DR650 for my daily commute but was worried about the displacement at highway speeds. A 6-speed gear box would probably do the trick.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:52 AM   #10
red916
Founding Member

Well, I bought one about a month ago, and it's one of the funest(sp?) bikes I've ever owned! Sean's article is spot-on. I've added an Akrapovic exhaust, jetted it, modded the airbox, installed Pro-Tapers, a GPR stabilizer, and a trick Baja Designs LED tail light. The wet weight is now at 294 - full of fuel. This machine simply flat-out RAILS!!!!!! BUY ONE NOW!!!!
red916 is offline   Reply With Quote