Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   2005 Sport Touring Shootout (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/3084-2005-sport-touring-shootout.html)

teknoman 10-21-2005 09:31 AM

Re: 2005 Sport Touring Shootout

sorry made mistake on this first one,corrected same

955tri 10-21-2005 09:34 AM

Not a chance, ever taking the increased price of the Duc out of the mix, the Honda blows it into the weeds. Less frequent maintenance, more refinement, better bags... (though I guess the Duc MIGHT be a better posseur bike...)

rick_1 10-21-2005 09:37 AM

I liked the test using passengers, because that's what I'm looking for with this type bike. But, if you go to this effort, I'm curious you didn't list other issues like mileage (range) and cost of ownership (maintenance intervals, perhaps projected tire mileage, etc.). I love my current Bmer (Boxer Cup Rep), but I feel the 6K valve adjust interval seems laughable for a mile muncher. Anyway, enjoyed it, keep up the good work.

955tri 10-21-2005 09:37 AM

"Sprint rs or st 955cc. Always thought they rated as the essence of a sports tourer The bike that all other sports tourers are judged against"

No, that would be the Interceptor.....

bboule 10-21-2005 09:39 AM

The Gold Wing probably would have won given the criteria for this competition - wouldn't it?

The handling is fine for such a huge bike, and it rules for the passenger. And it's no more then 1 second behind the ST and VFR in a straight line.

Some of the GL1800 owners are amazingly fast... it's got enough sport in it for it's size.

tbrown 10-21-2005 09:43 AM

Re: and now, back in the real world...

naco:

With so many novices shoveling out 25K and up for Harleys that don't do anything very well except look good parked, 20K doesn't seem like so much for a bike with the sort of technology you get with the RT. Regardless, I'll say it again...They charge a full $1300 for a radio/CD option that doesnt' work that well. Just delete that and you've got a pretty huge discount. Now delete the ESA and drop another $700 off the price. Then, there's the resale issue. Used BMWs, especially a model as successful as this new RT, will command very nice resale after as much as 50K or more miles. Lots of BMW boxers go 200K without engine work. No sport bikes are worth much after 10K and many of the bikes in this comparison will be long forgotten at trade in time.

No one mentioned the great MPG and range of these new 1200 boxer engines. I get an honest 42mpg in combination riding that includes a lot of flogging on back roads. On a recent 70mph interstate cruise, I got 52mpg average for the day. This is much better than either of my old RTs. Not sure how they accomplished this, but it's true...and that was with bags on and an aftermarket (larger) windscreen.

RTs aren't for everyone, but they are great bikes.

-TB

BruceV 10-21-2005 10:00 AM

I just sold my Concours and bought and R1200RT. The RT is well worth the extra bucks for those who are willing to pay for it. I loved the Concours for almost five years, but it is nothing close to the RT.

Blake_1 10-21-2005 10:15 AM

A little moisture got you skeered?

Where's the sport in that?

On account of I don't much care for lots of plastic, windshields, radiators or IL4 engines on my motorcycles, my money will be going to either a Uly or an R1200GS. Very tough decision.

tbrown 10-21-2005 10:16 AM

Match:

Have you ever ridden a fast, comfortable bike for a long, multi-day distance? It's great. I once rode a 1967 Honda 305 Scrambler cross-country. I know what it is to rough it, but you can go farther faster if you're comfortable. (and if the bike isn't spewing a critical part every few hundred miles, but that's another story).

Ducati ST3/4: I had an ST4. Traded it. Didn't like riding it any more than my 1100RT in the twisties (more torque, better engine braking and better chassis...no really!) and the RT was more comfortable and trustworthy for long distance. I like the ST3, however...Yeah, where was it? I hear it's prefered over even the ST4S on the street because it's got better torque and response.

Multistrada: There is no way this is any kind of sport touring bike. The seat, for chrissake, is an inch thick and there's an exhaust pipe right under it. There's minimal weather protection and you're lucky to be able to hold on above 80mph. It's a great in-town bike and can be back roaded, but it's not sport touring in my book.

Sprint: I love the looks and they're supposed to go llike stink, but they're also supposed to dump heat on the rider and be really cramped. Sure, you can ride one a thousand miles, but why would you?

Futura: Dropped from the US line is what I've heard. Great bike to buy used. They're going for peanuts if you can find one. I've got a Mille R and love that Rotax engine. I tried one of these Futuras once and liked it. The styling seems more acceptable to me now than when it first arrived.

Your choices for "agressive sport touring" seem to be based more on looks than on the reality of riding them. If you went riding with me and my R1200RT, you'd find that I don't have any trouble keeping up.

Stereo-type? >>>>>> Stereo-type?

Get it?

-TB

Pud 10-21-2005 10:20 AM

One reason the ST1300 wins over the R12RT is price. You can get an ABS version for no more then $13500 if you price shop. So we're talking anywhere from $5K to $7K difference. One thing they didn't mention is that the ST1300 is faster in all performance catagories with more torque and HP. Honda ST11/13 have always been called boring. Boring comes from being so good that nothing bad stands out.