Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-21-2005, 09:42 AM   #71
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Sport Touring Shootout

are you going to wear the deerskin arm chaps for that "mountain man" look or go with the Native American Navajo blanket stlye?
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2005, 09:50 AM   #72
johnnyb
Founding Member

good one. really i am more mesh bikini guy.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:00 AM   #73
GrufRude
Registered Member

Gee, my 500 pound with hardbags, very comfortable for 2, 50mpg w/6.5gallon tank, maintain with the tools under the seat, 1984 BMW R100RS which I purchased used for $2500 is lokking better and better, particularly after two, two-up, 2000+ mile long-weekend camping trips this summer . . .
GrufRude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:02 AM   #74
Zelo
Registered Member

Just took a 2001 F4i across canada and down the east coast. Even a sport can tour. What happened to the Sprint?? I have been waiting for this article ever since the last shootout just to see how it would do. The new Sprint was all over the news by then but not out so you included the old one. That article about the ride across Italy was OK but come one, as an all new, AFFORDABLE, dedicated sport tourer I don't see how it could be left out. Who has 20K for a BMW?
Zelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:15 AM   #75
tbrown
Founding Member

Stoner:

I've got 15K on my RT. I've done all the valve adjustments myself. I change the oil and filter. I inspect the alternator belt. I take the wheels off and bring them in when I need tires. The dealer knows me. He knows my work. It's a busy dealership and they're glad when all they have to do is plug the diagnostic computer in and service the brakes. They charge me a lot less than $500. These bikes can go a lot farther without service, but the valves are so easy to access that I do them anyway. I plan to keep this bike past 100K miles.

What's redline on an Element? 5800? How often do you get near that? Solid lifters? I think they may be hydraulic!! (No adjustment at all.) The Element has an amazing engine...We have one too, but this is not a good comparison. Weight and water cooling make a big difference. For real primitive specs, just look at the Buell engine.

Ferraris require a lot of service too, but what if there were no Ferraris? I don't know if I'd want to live in that world.

-TB
Old 10-21-2005, 10:21 AM   #76
tbrown
Founding Member

Zelo:

Don't forget, the radio option is a whopping $1300. Delete that and you bring the price down a chunk. It's then in the same neighborhood as the ST3 and several other good bikes in this catagory that don't have radio options.

I've heard that the new Sprint is pretty cramped and throws a lot of heat at the rider. I love the way it looks, but I think it may need sorting.

-TB
Old 10-21-2005, 10:21 AM   #77
MOwings
Founding Member

Another advantage the Buell has, that wasn't really talked about, is the hydraulic valve adjustment. Nothing like starting out on a long trip knowing the bike will reach it's valve adjustment interval right in the middle. So you worry about the poor thing until you can get it home and serviced. Course, I can't really afford any of these right now Wich is why I'm so glad there are other choices for us vertically and wallet challenged like the 650 v-strom. Maybe you could do a poor man's sport touring shootout? I guess the 06 VFR wasn't available yet. Will be interesting to see how the vtec changes affect it's personality. But, I'm guessing MO will have a whole test just for it when it arrives.

Oh, yeah. Where are the dyno run videos?
MOwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:24 AM   #78
tbrown
Founding Member

Zelo: That's like 5,000 miles one way. I have to ask. How big are you? You must be a little guy because big guys don't do very well as a rule on a bike like that.

You should try a trip like that on a proper sport tourer. It's a whole different thing.

-TB
Old 10-21-2005, 10:28 AM   #79
teknoman
Registered Member

I for one just want to say thanks! for the great article.You guys /ladies are time warner with unlimited funds and also I think if you had tried to include every bike every one wanted you,d have to import illegals from mexico to get enough riders,and have a twenty page article to read!Besides since the fellow mofos gave up a sh**load of bikes for you to ride,that will just make more good artciles for me to read and waste government time on!Also thank god you all had the good sense to put in everyone,s height before I whined!As me being a half inch shorter than my favorite mofo gabe,I got toask one simple question...HOW THE HELL DID YOU GET ON ALLTHESE BIKES! ESP. THE EIFFEL TOWER BUELL! As for me ,being short ,54yrs old and having a wifeof 25yrs,I,m going for the viffer! No cruiser or geezer glide,can look cool in suit of choice[white ,red ,or black] depending on which viffer color i like .And leave the wife at home...Okay high maintenance costs?someone quoted 890bucks!???well that,s just what american debt is for! You Mofo,s at the mag have a nice weekend ,you deserve it and so do your spouses...
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:30 AM   #80
teknoman
Registered Member

I for one just want to say thanks! for the great article.You guys /ladies are not time warner with unlimited funds and also I think if you had tried to include every bike every one wanted you,d have to import illegals from mexico to get enough riders,and have a twenty page article to read!Besides since the fellow mofos gave up a sh**load of bikes for you to ride,that will just make more good articles for me to read and waste government time on!Also thank god you all had the good sense to put in everyone,s height before I whined!As me being a half inch shorter than my favorite mofo gabe,I got to ask one simple question...HOW THE HELL DID YOU GET ON ALLTHESE BIKES! ESP. THE EIFFEL TOWER BUELL! As for me ,being short ,54yrs old and having a wifeof 25yrs,I,m going for the viffer! No cruiser or geezer glide,can look cool in suit of choice[white ,red ,or black] depending on which viffer color i like .And leave the wife at home...Okay high maintenance costs?someone quoted 890bucks!???well that,s just what american debt is for! You Mofo,s at the mag have a nice weekend ,you deserve it and so do your spouses...
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote