Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-21-2005, 06:26 AM   #51
TwistedKestrel
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Sport Touring Shootout

I agree. I found the article entertaining, and I like the pretty pictures, but this has to be one of the more conflicting articles I've read here on MO. I come out like feeling the BMW won and lost at the same time. The article only really made sense once I read it again from the bottom up. The only rider who picked the BMW with his money, did so under the condition that it wouldn't be his only bike.

I realized something trying to read it again. It becomes easier to read when you don't think of any of these bikes to have as your only motorcycle. The problem I suppose is what percentage of people can accomodate that? At 21, in school, I'm at my limit just keeping my old Radian on the road. If I buy a new bike, I've got to make sure it can do everything I ask it to do, and decide what I want it to do well. Although MO touched briefly on the issue, I think it would have helped if they had given that a little more time and explanation.

Looking at it from my perspective, then, while people go into detail about each bike here, I really can't glean anything from it. Am I reading completely the wrong article? I like long rides and I like fast rides, but perhaps that doesn't necessarily mean a sport-tourer for me, or other readers.

Lastly, I was hoping that this article would shed some light on the VFR800, a bike that I see a lot of here in Toronto (I'm parked beside one as we speak), but never really completely understood. And I still understand it no better. Is it merely supposed to be a comfortable sportbike? Then why bother fitting it with VTEC? Why not just get a CBR600F4i, throw on a Corbin and Helibars(or not), and be done with it?
TwistedKestrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2005, 06:38 AM   #52
naco_traficante
Registered Member

Default and now, back in the real world...

I don't care if the BMW won, I'm not spending 20 thousand friggin dollars. I'll take bike number 2 or 3 and use the extra change somewhere else.

naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 06:51 AM   #53
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I'd love to read the article and provide insightful commentary however, the hurricane scuttled my trip to FL so the little woman and I are packing up the Geezer Glide and heading off to Yosemite.

Ciao!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 06:51 AM   #54
cheddarlump
Founding Member

I didn't spend $20k on a BMW, but I did spend $15k on the r1200st. I'm not a rich man by any stretch, but I do like riding motorcycles. Go ride one of the new series at a local dealership, and then if you still think it's too much, so be it. They're magic, and make you feel like a superstar on a bike. (Not to mention it's worth every penny when you take some unsuspecting punk on a '05 ninja 6R to task in the 1/4 mile..
cheddarlump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 06:57 AM   #55
tarheelbob
Founding Member

Alright, after years of squidly trolling MO, this article got me to pony up my hard earned $11.94 and join.

Thanks for a great comparo with a good selection of new sport-tourers versus deserving veterans. Your notes, and some of the replies show that everyone has a different take on this subject. The "you shoulda included the XXXX...." was predictable.

As someone just starting to be wooed by sport tourers, and having my eye on the BMW R1200RT, this was a timely write-up. Thanks. One of these bikes will likely be my next one. Now if I only had a good reason to get rid of my perfectly good, reliable, comfortable, lovin'-it-since-day-one Vulcan NoClass (Classic with Nomad bags), I'd spring. But, as most motorcyclists know, we never need much of a reason to get a new bike.
tarheelbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:16 AM   #56
rjstick
Founding Member

I agree. ST3 is a much better ride than in Interceptor in my humble, and biased, opinion.

Nice standard luggage too!
rjstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:21 AM   #57
wilsonmat
Founding Member

Default Props for Passengers.

For the first time in my life [cue wistful music], I've found myself purchasing a bike with another's comfort in mind. There are quite a number of us out here whose moto dollar vote is influenced by the comfort of another's rump. Two-up riding tests are few and far between. Thanks for bringing the passenger's perspective to your article. In the future, I would like to hear more detail about their experience in the saddle.

wilsonmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:26 AM   #58
chucker6
Registered Member

Interesting selection of bikes, but at least you didn't put a Gold Wing in there like one magazine did. As others have mentioned, I believe the exclusion of the Ducati ST3 and Triumph Sprint ST leaves this reader unsatisfied. The Honda ST1300 is a great bike, but too different from the VFR to belong in the same comparison. I have to wonder why I am seeing so much VFR mention in all of the motorcycle magazines all of sudden, does Honda really have that much clout with journalists??? I would prefer two groups of bikes like you did many years ago, with one group being more sport oriented and the other more tour oriented. As you point out, there are a lot of ST bikes now and logistics may prevent testing all at once. I would also throw the Suzuki DL650 in the Sport category just to mix things up, and use the XB12S Long instead of the Ulysses. Too many of us can't ride the really high bikes. FWIW, I've spent a fair amount of seat time on a BMW 1200GS and still prefer my Ducati ST2, but we really have lots of great bikes to choose from now. Great time to be a biker!
chucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:28 AM   #59
bbtowns
Founding Member

As always an entertaining read, thanks guys. Seems like the criteria for a Sport Tourer should include a lower fairing. I've toured on lot's of naked bikes, but have also learned that anything more than about 500 miles a day and a lower fairing really helps fight fatigue. Anyone who's ridden when it's wet knows the advantage of that, and if you're going to Sport Tour you best be ready for some rain at some point.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:30 AM   #60
wilsonmat
Founding Member

Default Re: and now, back in the real world...

How many times does 8,499 go into 20,720? Ask a Concours owner.
wilsonmat is offline   Reply With Quote