Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-21-2005, 04:26 AM   #31
ddlewis
Registered Member

Default Re: 2005 Sport Touring Shootout

Great writeup. Except I have an XS650 w/ bags, why didn't you include one of those. j/k

I think that Ulysses is the shiznit. Could be a smart move for Buell, that is capitalizing on what looks like the dawning of the Adventure-sport-tour revolution.. XB12X, GS, 950Adv, Tiger, Vstrom, Multistrada, Caponord playing the role of sport tourers would be a cool shootout. I'm pretty sure that's what 99% of their owners (KTM excluded) use them for.

Also their are two big dogs conspicuously missing from the above list of participants. How long do you reckon before Honda and Yamaha throw their Varadero and TDM hats (back) into the ring?
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2005, 04:31 AM   #32
eldiii
Founding Member

HO Hum............a Beemer, two Honda's, a Yamaha, and a Harly Clone; gimee a break! Yes they are Sport Tourers but the most vanalla bikes on the market. With the exception of the XB-12X Ulysses, the fact that the likes of Aprilla, Ducati, and Triumph were absent from the line up; bikes equally suited to this comparison with much more character, function, performance and even lower pricing lead me to suspect that MO is taking it's readership down a narrow path. The article though insightful on bland, "me to" motorcycles leave much to be desired for those passionate about touring.

If you make it far down without tuning me out I'll mention that your initial premises of touring is correct and the technical merits of the article are will taken and valid. However, bike magazines are judged by the bikes contained with-in. The article left me under whelmed based on the selection of bikes. Please do better next time.

eldiii
eldiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:39 AM   #33
shalbleib
Founding Member

i don't usually ***** about the reviews. as a matter of fact, this is a first, but it just didn't really seem to decidely answer anything. it seemed like everyone had a different opinion for the most part. and i'm not going to be a whiny FJR owner, but how does a bike that has always beat the ST1300, lose to it this time around with little explanation, and to top it off come in last place, to a buell nonetheless? to be honest, my biggest beef, is the selection. i mean a lot of people use these comparos as buyers guides. for that reason, if you're going to include dual sports, then where's the multi, the 1200GS (which would surely STOMP the buell), the strom, or the ktm??? and why no sprint?! what about the st3?! i could go on and on. if you can't test 18 bikes at once because you don't have the riders and passengers (HUGE kudos to including passengers - i'd just take my s2r everywhere if it weren't for taking flack from a female companion) then announce that you're going to do a 3 part, wide range, sport tourer comparo and cover all of the bikes that could potentially win the battle. i just think it would be much more helpful to the readers/customers.

scott halbleib

http://www.motorcycleguideonline.com
shalbleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:49 AM   #34
NEDucati
Registered Member

Great article. But as others have said, the Aprilia Futura, Ducati ST3/ST4 and Triumph Sprint ST 1050i were conspicuously missing.

I've owned a 2003 Honda ST1300 and a 2002 Honda VFR800-VTEC and they are both fantastic bikes - one is simply bigger than the other - the ST1300 is perfect two-up and the VFR is perfect as a solo sport-tourer.
NEDucati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:57 AM   #35
maladg
Registered Member

And from what I hear: NO HEAT ISSUES!!!!

maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:01 AM   #36
jeffs
Founding Member

You guys kinda let me down with the passengers.

I've been waiting for this writeup ever since you first mentioned doing it - specifically to hear the passenger feedback. Then... it's not really included. Ideally, the passengers would have had a blurb in which to voice their feelings about each bike. I see the "passenger schlepping" points, but it seems like they're points assigned by the rider, not passenger -- which isn't what I'm after.

Oh well....

--------------

As most people, I'm not thrilled at the inclusion of the Ulysses. I mean, why stop there... why not a Vstrom or a Multistrada? A Sprint would have been nice to see though.

I do wonder about the "with my money" voting. Are you REALLY voting with your own money, or just choosing the one that you'd like to have given to you... Would Gabe really spend his own $20K on the RT

-------------

Here's another random idea... How about a "bikes for tall people" roundup. Bikes like the Vstrom and the Ulysses never fare very well in tests because your shorter testers hate them. Yea, the article would only be useful to a fraction of your readership, but it would still be a good read. Ulysses, V-strom 1000/650, KTM Adventure 950, and whatever else fits.

jeffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:05 AM   #37
maladg
Registered Member

Couple of points:

1. The article stated in one of the first 2 or 3 paragraphs that MO wanted to take a NEW look at what constitutes a proper Sport Tourer...not their exact words but probably close enough.

2. They brought PASSENGERS. Not a whiney FJR owner my a$$... I love the FJR EXCEPT for the heat issues -yes I've ridden on hot days...have two friends with 05's....and the passenger digs are just too danged tight for me and my sweetie.

3. the website you provided the dead link to is Firefox unfriendly.

So there! Thats my snippy comments for the day.

Old 10-21-2005, 05:06 AM   #38
matchman
Founding Member

Time to put the "sport" back in sport touring, you guys came off sounding just like the stereo-type middle aged touring riders you diss'd. I kept thinking that of that guy at the Daytona Bike Week who drives around in the motorized Lazy-Boy recliner. Where is the Ducati ST3/4, the Multistrada, the Triumph Sprint or the Aprilia Futura? Maybe a better definition of the category is in order before you start picking bikes to ride perhaps Aggresive Sport Touring, Adventure Sport Touring, Sedate Sport Touring, Touring...etc.
matchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:08 AM   #39
maladg
Registered Member

My wife is smallish. The MultiStrada pass. seat is a one cheek job at best. Have you even sat on one? - the back that is.???

My wife did. She howled. My heart was broken. I had dreams of an unplugged, rechipped MultiStrada S with the ubersuspenders. but it was not to be.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:15 AM   #40
ofreen
Registered Member

Well, I know I am a cheap b*stard, but the winner costs $20,720? Does everybody else think that is reasonable? Is the BMW so much better than the others that that price is justified? $12,498 for the Interceptor? My '90 CBR1000F with Givis is still looking pretty good.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote