Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-21-2005, 02:54 AM   #21
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Sport Touring Shootout

No Sprint?
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2005, 02:57 AM   #22
ST955BRG
Registered Member

It is a shame you couldn't get hold of the new Triumph Sprint 2005 1024cc or even a Sprint rs or st 955cc. Always thought they rated as the essence of a sports tourer The bike that all other sports tourers are judged against,

Loved the test of the also-rans anyway

Thanks
ST955BRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:20 AM   #23
mildness
Founding Member

Default EXACTLY the Shootout I was hoping for

Thanks guys.
mildness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:54 AM   #24
whipp
Founding Member

I own an FJR and A R1200RT....The test was a touring test with passengers....RT wins.......Sport touring, one up with friendly comp between riders the FJ wins......

Thanks for the shootout.......
whipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:57 AM   #25
dnlwthrn
Founding Member

Where's the SPORT??

Maybe you should have called this the "Two-up, LuxoBarge, sportTOURING shootout...

Like others have said, you forgot the ST3/ST4s, the Triumph Sprint, and the Aprilia Futura (do they still make these?).

and yes, YOU'RE INSANE!
dnlwthrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:33 AM   #26
maladg
Registered Member

Now THAT is what I'm talkin' about!

I've been agonizing about which ST goes into my garage next. After spending a ton of time reading every word on Warchilds FJR Tech site and burrowing thru too many posting on the board he administers...the conclusion was, NO! Too snuggley with the wife on back, too. We have better places to schnuggle anyway.

I've had the XB12X on the brain, but the heat issues! Did anyone see MCN's write up? Heck fire - they put exhaust wrap on the back pipe. RayTek'd the frame at - what was it - 140 or so degrees? And needing a fan on the back cyl. Hmmm, I like to put lots of miles on. Sounds like potential premature shop time to me.

The Interceptor: YES! If I were 5'6" and 150 lbs. And my wife was a hobbit.

The ST13: as a current long time ST11 (and BMW R100RT - late monolever) owner, now we are talking. Not much aftermarket support though. And heavy! And a bit top heavy at that. Reliable as a tax collector. Hmmm. Tough choice coming.

The BMW R12RT. What more can I say. BMW of ATL will do test rides as will Blue Moon. Got a test ride coming as soon as I can find some time.

Fine article and great insights. Darn good catch on the FJR which is a great bike. The dominant bike media has danced around these drawbacks for too darn long.

Another great catch this article made: Adventure Tourers are rapidly becoming the Sport Tourer of choice - or at least a mighty big niche. Looking forward to your next effort. Hopefully the Adventure bikes will be shod with pure street rubber, too.

Thanks. Timely article. Anybody want to buy a 98 ST11? All maint records. Not much farkeling - pretty stock except for Metz tires, shock, forksprings & Heli's. Spare Sargent seat available!

Now should I get the Beemer and do that again or get the new gen ST13? Deja Vu all over again! Hint: back in 93 I was torn between the bike I could not afford when I was in my 20's (R100RT) and the ST11. So I got both! Though it took 5 yrs to snag "the fat lady" - my ST11.

Hmmmm. But then again the R12GS is 100 lbs lighter than the RT. Excuse me while I go back to chasing my tail.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:36 AM   #27
maladg
Registered Member

CW tested a tasty red 05 in current issue. I hear availability is very limited. Carrrying capacity is only about 380 lbs.

I've looked very hard at your choices, too. Excellent SPORT-tourers. Did you notice MO used passengers? I did 'cause I've got one 75% of the time. Bet you don't.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:18 AM   #28
hogrider80
Registered Member

Bought a R12RT back in May, and the only looking back I've done is at other riders in my mirrors. I've ridden it 1700 miles through the Southwest (105degF at times!). Two up and fully loaded with gear (w/ large topcase), and the thing still did 130mph on the back roads of Utah!. Oops, didn't say that out loud, did I?

Just got back from a 1200 mile Yosemite trip. My buddy and I rode Sonora and Ebbett's passes, and we did a lot of riding at 70mph+, and quite a bit at 90 (dang, I didn't say that out loud, did I?!?). The RT was incredible.

Stable. Comfortable. Fast. Smooth (an order of magnitude moreso now that I've got 5500 miles+ on the clock!). The ESA is not a gimmick. I love it. Forget the radio. Got an iWay500c nav with 10GB of MP3 space. Worked flawlessly.

Other buddies that drove the bike simply couldn't believe how easy it was to go fast on all roads/conditions. They had ear-to-ear grins when the rest of us finally caught up.

Replaced two things: 1) seat; 2) windshield. The aftermarket is a good thing.

My Harley and VFR are fun for their intended use, but the RT overall has 'em licked. Now when it's time for a ride, I pick the RT every time. I LOVE this bike!
hogrider80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:18 AM   #29
Redd_Dawgg
Founding Member

Worthless test.
Redd_Dawgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:21 AM   #30
triumph900
Founding Member

Where's the Sprint ST??