Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-10-2005, 03:47 AM   #211
shady28
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Sport Touring Shootout

I do like the see the 'alternative' sport touring bikes stacked up against the 'pure' sport touring bikes. I also like the fact that you've got passenger opinions thrown in now.

But I don't really get the rankings and they types of bikes chosen. It sounds / looks like you guys lost focus on what a sport touring bike is about. Really, its like 40% performance, 40% comfort, 20% features & convenience (luggage quality, power outlets, adjustable windscreens, etc).

I have a hard time seeing how the Buell beat the VFR in this test. Really having a hard time seeing the Buell beat the FJR too. I could see why heat issues would knock it down, but to last place? Guys, the Buell doesnt even have a fairing to speak of. It's a naked bike without addons. You might as well have put some hard luggage on a Honda 919 and put it in the review too.

Along those lines, there are a lot of much better 'adventure' bikes for this test. ie, the Tiger, V-Strom, and R1200GS. Those are much more comfortable and all have fairings of sorts. The Buell just doesn't belong here.

How about next year, try this, including out of the box machines :

In the box pure ST machines :

FJR1300

ST1300

Sprint ST

Concours (yeah i know its old, a good baseline though)

Ducati ST3

Outta the box :

DL1000

Tiger

KTM Adventure

SV1000S

VFR800

ZX-14

I'd point out the ZX-14 is a ZZR1400 overseas, and is billed as an ST machine.

The V-strom overseas has a 'grand touring' version, for both 650 and 1000 models.

The SV1000S is billed as a sport touring bike in Europe.

There really aren't that many 'pure' ST machines outside of BMWs here in the states, and a lot of people do improvise, so I like the idea of adding the out of box machines. I just think you could've done better than the Buell for the out of box thinking, seems like you went right out of the box and wandered into random bike picks.

shady28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2005, 06:37 AM   #212
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Because "sportiness" isn't about power, so much as it is about handling, which is comprised primarily in suspention and chassis. Suspention and chassis behaviour are impacted by weight, which the Buell has less of, everywhere, but especially on the unsprung ends.

Interesting that Dave Searle of MCN (USA) claims that the Ulysses front suspention is a no contest win over the vaunted Telelever of the BMW 1200GS, in terms of both road-holding (feedback/feel) and harshness absorbtion (plushness, or suppleness).
Old 11-13-2005, 06:53 AM   #213
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Re: Sometimes there is good justification for groupies.

Ducted forced-air cooling?! How can you call that reliable? It's only how every single prop-driven aeroplane in the sky before about 1960 remained aloft. Chuck Lindhburgh solo'd across the Atlantic on the back of forced-air cooling; in the '80s, Chuck Yeager non-stopped around the globe with some dame on a deuce of ducted air-cooled engines.

Reliable? You, Sir, are clearly quite mad.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:56 AM   #214
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

They did so explain. The claim is that such explanation is flimsy: the diameter of the front rim not, in fact, being decisive to the overall function of a motorcycle.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:28 AM   #215
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

"...the 1200GS (which would surely STOMP the buell)"

Not according to MCN, which just did that two-bike comparo. The Buell so completely stomped the GS, in fact, that the editor of the magazine (a former GS owner) went and bought a Ulysses for himself.

There are VERY similar power and torque figures between the two bikes, but the Ulysses weighs about 35 pounds less, never requires valve adjustments (GS? Try every 6k, at about $180 per inspection), needs no cat. converter, costs almost $4,400 less to begin with, and will take a much greater range of rubber with it's more "standard" size rims. Those are just some of the objective, demonstrated advantages of the Ulysses compared to the 1200GS, not to mention the whole host of more subjective plusses, like character, comfort, and feel.

As a former owner of a BMW 1150GS ADV. (from BMW of Atlanta, a great dealership, and one of the nation's Top 10...and no I don't work there, but I dated their parts girl for two years) the choice between a 1200GS and the Ulysses is not going to be easy.

Old 11-13-2005, 07:29 AM   #216
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

To me, the biggest beef I have with the Buell is that I have to go to a Harley dealership to buy and maintain one. I've owned two Harleys, had service at over a half-dozen, and have never been happy with the attitude they give to riders of other brands. In most Harley dealerships, Buells are either neglected or actively ignored, and I've heard other Buell owners in the Atlanta area complain about beign treated like the red-headed step-children of the Harley family.

Comments, anyone?
Old 11-13-2005, 08:28 PM   #217
kentbrannon
Registered Member

Yo,

I got to agree with a lot of readers: where was the brand-spanking-new-and-even-available-with-abs Sprint ST? I took one for a tester and it is mighty fast, mighty comfy, available with wonderful hard-luggage & heated-grips and MSRP's at $10,899 (no abs) or $11,899 (with abs). It is damned-near as nice as the new BMW RT/ST pair, and for roughly 63% of the purchase price of the BMW I'd say we have a winner. Not to mention (ooops, I mentioned it) it is a mighty fine looking bike.

As a BMW owner who is a little fed up with $350.00 oil changes (I'm still in warranty and would rather not chance it), the Triumph seems to be a winner.
kentbrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 03:44 PM   #218
cerev1
Founding Member

Just one more vote for this comparo needing an ST3 and a Sprint ST.
cerev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:27 PM   #219
Vlad
Registered Member

Aero head:

Stone Mountain HD has been very nice to me about Buells, even though I have experienced the same "A Buell, what's that?" treatment when I went to other HD dealers. Try Stone Mountain HD and see how you feel. Let me know what happens, so I can find out if they are as nice to those folks who didn't buy there as they are to theones that do.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:09 AM   #220
BigODave
Registered Member

It finally occurred to me after noticing that the Buell Ulysses' in-frame fuel capacity is identical to the new XB12Ss... I went to Buell's website and did a comparison between the two bikes and I found that the Ulysses IS basically an XB12Ss with taller (and longer travel) suspension. It's got the longer XB12Ss frame.

I've been looking all over for XB12Ss reviews, and they've been available all along (for the most part), in the form of the Ulysses reviews.

My concern with the XB12Ss has been that it might lose some of the fun-to-ride aspects of the XB12S and XB9SX, but that appears to not be the case.

Hooray!
BigODave is offline   Reply With Quote