Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-25-2005, 02:36 PM   #191
Zelo
Registered Member

Default Re: 2005 Sport Touring Shootout

5'11 - 180.

4820 miles averaging 550 a day. It was better than I was expecting although even a corbin didn't save my butt. Ventura luggage and a dry bag for the camping gear and I was GTG. My only real gripe was the range. Running out of gas at 10pm on the Trans Canada is not fun. Still the bike is so much fun that any gripes are quickly forgotten.
Zelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2005, 07:27 PM   #192
pattonme
Founding Member

Default Re: Sometimes there is good justification for groupies.

I have tested the XB series 6 times and still can't pull the cord. It's simply way too expensive for what you get. Put the SV650 motor in it or the Mille 60deg twin and Buell will have a sale.

Buell engineering is quite good and innovative just as long as we're NOT talking about the damn engine/FI/trans. The thing needs a professional engineering job, not bandaids on what started out as and continues to be a highschool shop project.

water-jacket cylinders, FI that doesn't suck (talk to Guzzi, Eric), oil and water coolers that are aimed so they can work and a big reduction in stroke back to 2.75~3" inches and a tranny that resembled something even remotely recent would be nice. Belt drive is fine. I can't stand the incessant thudding. The bike should redline around 8500-9000 and spend 90% of it's time between 3-5K rpm and be livable in those ranges.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:50 PM   #193
johnnyquest
Registered Member

Default Re: Sport?

"There's at least 15 motorcycles I can think of off the top of my head that you could "sport-tour" on, and nobody wants to read a 15-bike shoot out at work, unless they work for the government. "

Hey....I resemble that remark!!

JQ

Old 10-25-2005, 07:54 PM   #194
johnnyquest
Registered Member

"I just bought a Lightning Long (XB12Ss). Fantastic machine. Put 300 miles on it this past weekend, two up, and the frau didn't complain. All it needs are a windshield and luggage. Too bad they didn't make a version of the Lightening Long that was set up for touring. Since the XB12X has the same frame, all of the cool stuff from the Ulysses will fit on the Lightning Long. But that gets pricey when you have to replace so much stuff on the LL. If they did it at the factory, there's no reason that it couldn't be sold for the same price as the 12X."

See? Just as I said earlier, only this time by an actual lightning long owner. Erik, you can make it happen!!

JQ
Old 10-25-2005, 10:56 PM   #195
Blake_1
Registered Member

Default Re: Sometimes there is good justification for groupies.

Don't know what you imagine is wrong with a computer controlled multi-speed ducted forced air-cooled engine with hydraulic valves that never require adjustment.

Not sure why a low revving high torque engine that achieves amazing fuel efficiency and meets CARB 2008 emissions requirments without a catalytic converter is a problem in your mind.

FYI, the Buell EFI is lauded as one of the absolute best in the business. Period.

Are gear driven cams inferior to a chain drive? I don't think so.

I guess you'd rather have a smaller, less powerful engine with dual throttle bodies that require periodic synchronizing, twice as many valves, all of which require periodic adjustment, chain driven cams (careful don't break that chain), a messy dirty drive chain that requires frequent lubrication and adjustment, a big radiator and the maintenance that liquid cooling requires (careful don't puncture that radiator).

Guess you missed that the new Buell transmission is up to par with some of the best. Not sure what happened to the MO bike's tranny, all other reports laud the new Buell tranny and lighter pull clutch.

Interesting to specify a bike via minutia of design detail like bore and stroke.

FYI, the Uly will run all day between 3-5K rpm. That is exactly where it is designed to thrive.

Maybe you are just not up to speed on motorcycle technology? Or have you swallowed the Japan Inc speal that only the most complex of machinery is worthy of your money.

Most discerning engineers know better. They know that true genius is in achieving the objective with as simplistic and elegant solution as possible.

Make one part do the job where previously two parts were required...

Buell ZTL brake/wheel... the rim is the disk carrier. Only one disk/caliper required. total system is some 6+ LBs lighter than other comparable front wheel/brake assemblies. Genius.

Oil in the swingarm.

Fuel in frame.

Muffler as engine guard.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:59 PM   #196
Blake_1
Registered Member

Default Re: No comment re the big Buell? R U 2 little? :D

My bad. I thought it was "Better Little Man."

Bitter? Dang. For someone with such an easy life too.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:39 AM   #197
teknoman
Registered Member

Default Re: Like walking in a pasture...

Thanks Gabe, I have been asking that question for a long time,but always get"you,re too short,live with it!"Guess I,ll go see if I can get a test ride on a uly! Again, my heartfelt thanks to you and all your staff.Boy you sure opened up a can of[whiney] woop*$$ on this one! Great article!
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:50 AM   #198
teknoman
Registered Member

Default Re: Sport?

HEY!I resemble that remark!I work for the guvmint nd yeah, I did read it at work.I don,t go anywhere NEAR my wife,s computer[unless she,s asleep] so there!!!
Old 10-26-2005, 08:55 AM   #199
teknoman
Registered Member

AMAZING!I am about 5'6" with a 29 in inseam and I like the uly too.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:38 AM   #200
teknoman
Registered Member

If you don,tmind chains,get a Vstrom either 650 or 1000.New they are quite reasonable,used or last years"new"[they havenot changed except for color] should be a steal! upright seating position.,the bigger one has hand guards and suzuki even offers heated grips as an option.can be fitted with zuki bags.400-500mile days? 5000miles a yr in cleveland like weather?I,ve been to cleveland.brother you do ride!