Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-20-2005, 07:30 PM   #11
Somnus
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Sport Touring Shootout

The VFR acquitted itself given the criteria. The "With my money ..." results were consistent, suggesting that the testers saw some overall utility from the bike, if not for sport touring specifically. From the comments, and my personal experience, it's quite comfortable for long-limbed riders who stay on the twisties as much as possible -- I've done 12+ hour days on my '96.

A shootout with the Triumph ST, Aprilia Futura and BMW GS would be interesting.
Somnus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2005, 08:10 PM   #12
bk6a
Founding Member

I'm not sure why the Triumph ST wasn't in this test. It is after all a sport touring bike, no?
bk6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:21 PM   #13
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Rigged !

Just kidding. As somone who has owned an Accura, Honda, Toyota I understand Sean's anti-appliance attitude. The Accura was my best car but I got bored of it. My favorite cars were a Camaro with a V-8 and Mazda RX-7. Both had oil burning issues and spent some time in the shop but I never got bored of them. It easy to see the Buell as the American Muscle Car in this lineup thus the funess vote. The BMW looks nice except from the front but they are sure popular here in Seattle along with they Yamaha and VFR. Glad Fonzie was in the voting, he added needed crediability. Gabe seems to back to his bold virtuous self after his obvious alcohol induced opinion given in the 600 Value shot out. The rest of you are Erik Buell groupies.

Excellent funny review, great pictures and keep up the good work. Thanks
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:37 PM   #14
aaydogan
Founding Member

As the proud owner of 2005 Suzuki DL-1000 with a full set of hard bags and an awesome Corbin seat, I was surprised to see a miniature bike like VFR included but not the V-Strom 1000. A realize that the DL-1000 is a bit of a compromise bike but so is this category.
aaydogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:53 PM   #15
mlemartien
Registered Member

What is the Interceptor 800 doing in this shootout??? And if so, where are the Triumph 1050 Sprint ST, Ducati ST3, etc.? I guess I'm missing the point!
mlemartien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:07 PM   #16
eojmo
Founding Member

That Buell Ulysses looks like a good sound bike with charactor. Who needs all those comfort zone extras anyway.Keep things simple and enjoy the ride.If you want appliances, enjoy them in the comfort of your home or hotel when you reach your destination.
eojmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:56 PM   #17
MeatHook
Registered Member

All that, for only $20,720???

Please, stop it. You're only encouraging them.

MeatHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 12:09 AM   #18
Sliver
Founding Member

Every time a manufacturer introduces a new model or refines a pervious model motorcycle, there are hordes that want to know the differences and advantages of each model. You made a great comparison in your report but the touring aspect could better be tested on some longer rides. Touring is more than a day ride. Put on a couple of 1000 mile days and then give us your choices.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:48 AM   #19
GS1100GK
Founding Member

I agree about the Concours it should have been in there as a measuring stick if nothing else, but they also left out my beloved ZZR1200. Granted, the ZZR1200 is being phased out for the do-it-all ZX14 (still cannot understand where one bike can take the place of the ZZR1200, ZX12R, and ZRX1200), but still. Probably for the better. Every motorcycle magazine slams the bike (they do not like the accessorie luggage, and seating position) even though it is the fastest Sport Tourer around and has all day comfort. Proudly, I own the Rodney Dangerfield of Motorcycles since it get's no respect, at least until I twist the throttle and will leave them all behind!
GS1100GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 01:37 AM   #20
mikehe
Founding Member

I find it a little hard to believe that the FJR 1300 finished two places ahead of the ST 1300 during last years shootout, and this year finished three places behind the ST 1300. No manufacturing changes in either bike during the two years. Will the true FJR (or ST) please stand up!
mikehe is offline   Reply With Quote