Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-24-2005, 03:40 PM   #181
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Sackless, eh?

Better than brainless...other readers can rate your posts, then set the threshold on their browser. Your post is rated at "0" ("idiotic troll" is how that rating reader characterized you), so if your threshold is set at 1 or higher, it won't appear. Set it to "-1", and you'll see your post.

We have that system so very offensive and abusive posts can be hidden by those who get all worked up over stuff like this. We very, very rarely actually take the time to delete posts.

As far as "taking heat" goes, I take plenty! I have a hate mail and a fan mail folder in Outlook; so far it's about one to one.

I'd rather be hated by 80,000 and loved by 20,000 than have 100,000 readers who have no clue who I am. I can't please everybody, but not even Jesus could do that! I'm sorry we dissapointed you, and we'll try harder in the future.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2005, 04:23 PM   #182
dean_1
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Sport Touring Shootout

That was a very well written test report. I really undertsood why each tester came to their decission and what their priorities were and I can weigh these against what is important to me.

Do I smell subsciption price increase?
dean_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 06:12 PM   #183
Vlad
Registered Member

Seems like price and maintenance didn't figure into your comparo. I would have liked to see the ST3 in the mix, but maintenance is still an issue with that lovely piece of machinery. The best choice for me out of this mix is the Buell, but a different Buell. Maybe Eric is right and they need an adventure tourer, but they could have at least offered a conversion kit or a factory order option for the short guys. I just bought a Lightning Long (XB12Ss). Fantastic machine. Put 300 miles on it this past weekend, two up, and the frau didn't complain. All it needs are a windshield and luggage. Too bad they didn't make a version of the Lightening Long that was set up for touring. Since the XB12X has the same frame, all of the cool stuff from the Ulysses will fit on the Lightning Long. But that gets pricey when you have to replace so much stuff on the LL. If they did it at the factory, there's no reason that it couldn't be sold for the same price as the 12X.

I am busily modifying my LL into a sport tourer. First change was moving the turn signals. Now I just need some bags, and practically any set will fit with the turn signals removed. A windshield would be nice, but it needs to give more coverage than the 12X's little piece of plexi.

Eric, I know that putting a 12SsT together might be a bad financial move. But making it a factory option . . . hmmm. Worked for Yamaha.

By the way. This bike really handles. It's in ST3 class handling, and might even be a bit better. They're so close together I would need back to back full days on each to decide.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 08:48 PM   #184
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Sport?

The RT makes marginally more power than the Interceptor and lots more torque. It also doesn't weight that much more...yet you wouldn't say the Honda isn't a sportbike, would you?

We've gotten a lot of flack here from MO readers who feel we were trying to present a list of the five definitive sport-tourers. That's impossible. There's at least 15 motorcycles I can think of off the top of my head that you could "sport-tour" on, and nobody wants to read a 15-bike shoot out at work, unless they work for the government.

Instead, we were trying to present a representation of a few different categories of bikes that would be used for such a purpose. Maybe the big mistake was scoring them against each other!

In any case, it's clear to me from reading the feedback that sport-touring is a very subjective thing in itself. I will keep everything I read here in mind for next year.

Thanks for reading MO! I hope we can count on your readership.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:22 AM   #185
Strmn8r
Registered Member

AMEN.
Strmn8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:25 AM   #186
Strmn8r
Registered Member

Default Re: Sport?

"Maybe the big mistake was scoring them against each other!"... Good point. Shootouts always result in winners and losers; let's face it, who wants to be (or own) a loser? Motorcycle preferences, much like preferences in music and girlfriends, will always be 80% subjective. So in future comparos, a useful and less offensive evaluation method might be to give each bike grades for each characteristic, such as range, handling, character, passenger accommadation, etc., and then let the reader draw their own conclusions as to their own personal winner. Thus, a little bit less 'Jerry Springer' and a little more 'roundtable discussion' attitude will prevail in our Reader Feedback. Although this approach might be too dull for some of the readers, I think that it will put more readers in the proper mind-set to digest your valuable opinions. I say valuable because you're the only ones that get to ride the tested bikes back-to-back. And no, I do not have the time to read a 15-bike comparo at work, but I sure would read one word-for-word at home. Bring it on!

Strmn8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 02:12 AM   #187
Blake_1
Registered Member

Default His name is Erik, with a "k".

FYI: Mr. Buell's first name is spelled "Erik" with a "k." Thought you might want to know. Good comments.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:26 AM   #188
FOG-Racing
Founding Member

The Buell comes the closet to sport touring imho. I sport tour a ZX12R, carrying a tent, sleeping bag, weeks worth of clothes, and all the other things I may need. A pair of soft bags, a tank bag and an a duffle bag hold the goods, the garmin gps shows the way.

I have an ST1100 that I use when the wife wants to go, and believe me that is a lot closer to traveling Gold Wing style than sport tour.(Have had 3 wings)

Sport touring is touring on a sport bike, touring is on anything else.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:34 AM   #189
bboule
Founding Member

I haven't ridden them but I've gone riding with people that have them, through twisites, even through Deal's Gap.

With an expert rider they easily hang with this crowd, and have no trouble hanging with a bunch of people on race replicas assuming there is no straight line insanity going on.

Everyone wants to be above someone else in the motorcycle bad-ass pecking order. Choppers are somehow above more sane H-Ds, race reps seem to be the top of the foreign heap, S-T bikes fall somewhere in the middle, and everyone wants to lump the gold wing in as the lameo bike for old people. But it just isn't true, the Wing really isn't far off the pace of an FJR or ST1300.

I'm sure I'd be slow on test ride of a wing too. It takes longer to get used to a bike so different from your own.
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 02:02 PM   #190
jtmcnet
Founding Member

Okay, you didn't have any objections to testing two models from the same barn (eg. Hondas).

BMW's new K1200S isn't really on par with the Jap liter superbikes - so it can reasonably be assumed it's a "Sport Touring" bike. Sigh. I too would have liked to see the Duc ST4 or Aprilia in here, but since they're not new - oh yeah, the BMW R bikes have been around for ages too.

I hope you'll be doing a head-to-head of the Ninja ZX-14 and the BMW for 2006.

Jim in Lost Wages
jtmcnet is offline   Reply With Quote