Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-22-2005, 07:43 PM   #151
msbeemer
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Sport Touring Shootout

I could have guessed the Beemer would win, but who wants to spend 20K on a sport tourer? I own a non-twin plug early RT and having owned a 03' FJR I ended up keeping the RT. The FJR was a pure adrenaline fix. I rode the FJR on group rides with Beemer's and it was able to blow them away twisties or straights. I admit though the new RT is much better mechanicaly and having rode one of the new ones it is great. But why did they have to make it so damn ugly. If I could place the new mechanics under my old body work I'd do it. Maybe in a few years I could afford a used one, and maybe by then the looks would grow on me.
msbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2005, 08:19 PM   #152
TwistedKestrel
Founding Member

Default Re: VFR and 21 Year Old Demographics

Tank dent? Do I know you?
TwistedKestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 08:41 PM   #153
eojmo
Founding Member

Just got back from a 250klm country ride on my Beemer R1150Gs.The spring weather was perfect and I saw plenty of other riders taking advantage of the day.All should stop worrying about what bike to own,just grab anything with two wheels and use it while you'r still able to breath.Life is too short to waste on silly things like brands and models.
eojmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 08:42 PM   #154
eojmo
Founding Member

Just got back from a 250klm country ride on my Beemer R1150Gs.The spring weather was perfect and I saw plenty of other riders taking advantage of the day.All should stop worrying about what bike to own,just grab anything with two wheels and use it while you'r still able to breath.Life is too short to waste on silly things like brands and models.
eojmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 10:27 PM   #155
yenawine
Registered Member

A couple of months ago you wrote the following about the Vstrom 1000:

" If adventure touring was all on paved roads, the V-Strom would be king. It has everything you need to be king of the road: smooth, torquey motor, firm yet compliant suspension, comfortable, upright seating and an overall feeling of purpose and quality."

What exactly is "sport touring" if not adventure touring on paved roads?

Order a new Vstrom with factory luggage bolted on, then buy another and you've still spent less that that dude on the Beemer. It has a comfy back seat too! Judging from other choices you made here, the little windshield doesn't count against it, but if it did, then order it with the larger windshield offered by Suzuki as an accessory.

yenawine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 01:20 AM   #156
saddlebag
Registered Member

Stupid linked brakes, stupid VTEC, crappy passenger ergos, and less power too.
saddlebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:09 AM   #157
DaveFla
Founding Member

I thought they explained this. Didn't the story mention that the Buell was included because it has a 17" front wheel- unlike the GS and DL?

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:13 AM   #158
DaveFla
Founding Member

"Touring-sport," eh? So, would that test have included the (unfortunately now cancelled) Harley-Davidson Dyna T-Sport?

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:51 AM   #159
ndivita
Registered Member

In your 2004 Sport Tourer "Comparo" you stated:

"The Ideal Sport Tourer would have the comfort of the BMW RT and Honda ST, while being as fast as the Kawasaki ZZR, having the refinement of the BMW GT and the nimbleness of the Triumph ST. The Yamaha FJR 1300 comes closest to that "ideal" motorcycle. It is 95% as comfortable as the ST13 & RT, 95% as fast as the ZZR, 90% as refined as the K12GT and 85% as nimble as the Sprint ST. In addition, it looks great and isn't too expensive. What more could you want in a Sport Tourer? "

Now we are to believe the 2005 FJR ABS finishes last in the 2005 comparison?

Please. This may be a transparent attempt to show "balance" but it is hardly credible.

I admit the 2005 FJR could use a few more standard features. But they aren't too tough to add and it's kind of enjoyable anyway. Moreover, I will take the Saturn V-like engine in the FJR over the "wet fart" BMW (thanks for the image) any day of the week, all things considered. Dollar for dollar, there's no comparison.

Yours etc.,

A bitter, middle-aged firearms and motorcycle enthusiast, though not necessarily in that order.
ndivita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 07:18 AM   #160
kiwi_steve
Registered Member

Default Extreme Patriotism

Why no Triumph Sprint ST in the test? Surely thats a machine that warrants a place on any serious 'Sport Tourer' test, especially if being "different" is to be considered meritorious! I was interested to see how well the Buell did (though not surprised, given that this is an MO test!) especially after 'Bike' (UK magazine) concluded their test of the Ulysses in their November issue by saying that "only extremely patriotic Americans might choose this over the more capable competition" - Guess Sean's an extreme patriot then?
kiwi_steve is offline   Reply With Quote