Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-22-2005, 05:57 AM   #141
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Knocking on Consumer Reports??

Bet you eat vanilla ice cream too!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2005, 07:13 AM   #142
Primus
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Sport Touring Shootout

Hey Guys, do you know what a sport tourer is?

I was afraid you might include Road King in your test. Check your dictionary, Ducati = sport tourer. Otherwise good story, thanks.
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 07:39 AM   #143
motoartman
Registered Member

All that fried food is making you guys fat & old.

BMW RT's, FJR's & 1300ST's should not really be classified as "sport tourers". They should be labeled as "big ass luxury sport tourers". Add a Concours and drop the Buell & VFR. The latter really don't belong in such hefty company.

Now go out & do a traditional "sport tourer" comparo with an ST3, Sprint, Futura, VFR to list a few.

I must admit though this article lured me back in. My subscription expired a few months ago but you snagged me , hook, line & sinker. Good reading for a rainy Saturday morning.

Thanks!
motoartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 07:49 AM   #144
SuperBill
Founding Member

Default Two-Up Testing

"We at MO wonder how much of it had to do with the fact that we had passengers along, something we don't do as much as we should on our shootouts. We'd love to hear from you, to see if it adds a needed dimension to our comparison and if you think we should include passengers more often. "

Yes, thank you! I've got about 100k miles on my old airhead RT, with probably 95k of them two up with my wife/riding partner of 30 years. We ended up with the BMW because the BMW dealer was the only one that would let us take it for a long, twisty TWO-UP test ride.

After all these miles, we think the Beemer was a good choice, but how do we really know without comparing other bikes? You do us a great service by including a passenger in tests of bikes that are appropriate for a passenger. Thanks again!

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 08:14 AM   #145
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Re: Knocking on Consumer Reports??

Vanilla on week nights. Carmel Fudge swirl, Tutti Frutti, Neopolitan or whatever strikes my fancy on Friday and Saturday night.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 09:04 AM   #146
Tomas_P
Founding Member

Default What "heat issue"?

My XB12S runs year-round in So. Cal. with no discernable "heat issue" whatsoever. I've no idea what MCN is talking about... unless they spend all their time idling in traffic in 100+ weather... but who does that? Go look on the FJR boards at all the "heat fix" threads if you want to see heat problems... Buells do not have that kind of problem.
Tomas_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 09:31 AM   #147
johnnyquest
Registered Member

Great article. I've just completed my first year as a motorcyclist and logged 11,800 miles on my 1990 K75s, the most recent of which was an 1800 mile round trip from Tucson to Ft. Worth and back. The sport-touring category of bikes interests me the most, as they're the closest to my K-bike....fun in the twisties and easy to load up and head for the horizon.

I had the opportunity to ride the R1200rt at a BMW rally in May and really enjoyed it. As a novice I felt it was easy to ride and it was very comfortable. But I don't understand why so many mags are choosing to test the RT instead of the ST. The R1200ST with hard bags more directly compares to the others in this field, is less expensive, and is a sportier ride.

The other bike that interests me is the Buell. Erik, if you're out there, please consider this: Offer the XB12Ss "lightning long" with the hard side cases from the Ulysses. You won't be able to make them fast enough. I think a lightning long with hard bags would probably have scored well in this comparo, except the rear seat is probably not as good as the RT.

Oh, and the Multistrada still pulls at my heart strings....wish they could have thrown one in the mix.

JQ
Old 10-22-2005, 01:23 PM   #148
bmwdude
Founding Member

It's cool to see a BMW in the winners circle!

Now if they would just address their sad lack of dealers!

If you're outside of a metro area, you are more than likely S.O.L. as far as a local BMW dealer goes.

I drive 90 miles to my nearest dealer. How many more bike could you sell, if we just had some where close by to buy them?

Get a clue guys!
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 02:14 PM   #149
SmokeU
Registered Member

So where's the Concours fit?
Old 10-22-2005, 05:46 PM   #150
reepicheep
Founding Member

Default Re: VFR and 21 Year Old Demographics

I enjoyed my Radian. Until I rode my Buell. During the time they were both in the garage, the poor Rad felt downright hazardous.

Go look for a well used XB9s. It's the perfect next bike from a Radian. You won't believe the difference.

(and I still have a soft spot in my heart for my red 89 Radian... How's the tank dent?).
reepicheep is offline   Reply With Quote