Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-21-2005, 06:05 PM   #131
Fenton
Founding Member

Couldn't wait to read this comparo. Can't argue for or against any of the decisions. Never ridden an FJR, new RT, Ulyses or ST1300. Loved my VFR's but my Futura was better at sport/tour duty by a wide margin.

Reading all the comments leads me back to the "It ain't the Tool" theory. You either ride big miles or you don't. The RT is going to do the same 7,000 miles my Multistrada is going to do this year. I'm set on my weekend "loops" a couple of short trips(maybe) to new destinations.

I didn't take my GS adventure touring, I never lined the streets of a ralley with my Harleys, didn't go camping with my DR, never timed my laps on my sport bikes. The 1500 mile weekends are in you or they aren't. You'll do them on what ever is in your garage, be that heated grips or thicker gloves.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2005, 09:07 PM   #132
dlrph
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Sport Touring Shootout

Ok, I know I am going to come across as a whiny FJR owner. Regardless, it seems odd that with all the great reviews and 1st place finishes in most comparos, at least in the US, that you could rate the FJR last. I don't want to plug your competition, but another bike mag this month picked the FJR 1st out of 8 bikes as a sport-tourer. Their evaluation seemed more objective and also included passenger reviews, of which the FJR placed 1st. It is almost as if you decided to knock the FJR down a notch to placate the other mfgr's and not sound so redundant. Besides, your criticisms of the FJR were pretty minor in nature to cause such a fall from grace. Heat is not an issue for everyone, windshield easily moves back to wherever you want it, and I have never had any appliance give me a 1300mi grin like I had over 19 hours of riding from Calgary,Alberta to Las Vegas. And yes, the FJR was plenty comfortable. Many IBA riders have chosen the FJR as their ride-of-choice, and few riders are more conscious of performance and comfort.

I hope you test the 2006 FJR's, including the revolutionary clutchless model. Most of your petty complaints have been addressed.

By the way, I have a large number of farkles on my 04 that give me most of what the RT has, and I still spent thousands less and can run and hide from them,twisties included as I have done often.

Guess I shouldn't ***** too much though since you have always thought highly of the FJR.

Potential buyers-ride them all-decide for yourself. The FJR is one of a kind!
dlrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 09:35 PM   #133
Bajsi
Founding Member

In Europe there is only one No#1 sport turer, we call it Yamaha FJR 1300 A, it has won three consecutive titles at magazine Motorrad and BMW hates it.

Greetings from Slovenia!

Bojan
Bajsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:35 PM   #134
Blake_1
Registered Member

Default Re: Sometimes there is good justification for groupies.

I gotta respect someone who will test ride a bike. I have yet to test ride the Uly. Will be doing so soon though.

The new Buell engines are extremely reliable. Definitely agree on the kit bike aspects of the older Buells. I own one.

Cheers,
Old 10-21-2005, 10:41 PM   #135
Blake_1
Registered Member

Default Buell basher alert.

Just wondering, if you owned a water cooled bike and the water pump stayed on, would that concern you? LOL.

The "main clutch bolt?" What the heck is that? There is a nut-like looking part that is loose and will come right off if you remove the clutch inspection cover. It nests into a female reseptacle...

... oops sorry, lost my train of thought there for a minute...

The rest of the clutch is held in place by snap rings and the pressure of the clutch spring.

"Almost fell off"... LOL! It is designed that way sparky. LOL!
Old 10-21-2005, 10:42 PM   #136
Blake_1
Registered Member

Default That's a wise rule

There's a lot of wisdom in that rule, no matter the brand.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:04 AM   #137
brax4444
Registered Member

Default Re: Sometimes there is good justification for groupies.

That was then. That is gone.
brax4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 03:04 AM   #138
KLRer
Founding Member

I'd like to see that "tall" comparo too. By Japanese standards sometimes anyone 5' 9" or better is a giant.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 03:38 AM   #139
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Knocking on Consumer Reports??

"Like most of MO's readers, I hate Consumer Reports. " Hey! Are you sure about that generalization? Probably quite a few consumer reports subscribers and Acura owners in your demographic. Remember, MO serves basically the same function as CR. Educate the consumer about available products so he can make an educated choice.

Yes, I subscribe to CR, drive an Acura, and have a VFR in my stable.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 04:28 AM   #140
mjs
Founding Member

Pretty good comparo me think. By testing such a wide range of bikes it offered something for everyone and again proves the point that you can "sport tour" on anything.
mjs is offline   Reply With Quote