Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-08-2005, 04:45 PM   #41
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Re: Nolan N102 Modular Helmet Review

I have three helmets in my current rotation. But I find that I reach for the N100 more than the other two combined. I wear glasses and the N100 just makes life easier. As well, it's a pleasure to be able to open the entire front of the helmet when I am stopped at lights. Even in October, the afternoons are warm in Georgia. I look forward to getting an N102 when my current lid needs replacement.

As a personal note, I would not be suspect of a helmet that Fred can tear apart with his bare hands. You see, Fred is about the size of a bear, a very friendly and knowledgeable bear, but a big man nonetheless. I would not be surprised to see Fred rip some very respected fullface apart with his bear hands.

As for Ashley's comments on looking dork-like with the face shield flipped up, she's not kidding. It makes you look like a chinless idiot, kind of like Dark Helmet in "Spaceballs."

By the way, I finally bought a Buell yesterday. I went for the "Lightning Long." It's a fabulous machine. Riding around on the barking beast was an absolute hoot. Eric should be proud.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2005, 07:02 PM   #42
ScottT
Registered Member

Well I have a question.... if all the hype is about the flipup option why the hell didn't you guys post a pic or too of some dork with the helmet on in the flipped up position? That is the first thing I looked for when I logged on to check out the helmet. I guess nobody wanted to be the willing dork!

Ciao,

ScottT
ScottT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 07:06 PM   #43
macmanjim
Founding Member

Did I miss something or was my post removed? I don't think it was that bad...And I have no idea what she said...Of all the pusilanimy.

2009 R1200RT

My Motorrad
macmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 07:09 PM   #44
macmanjim
Founding Member

Reading the threads on here is too much Especially when I can't even find my own stuff. Stunad. Disreguard the previous.

2009 R1200RT

My Motorrad
Old 10-08-2005, 10:55 PM   #45
piinob
Founding Member

Default Re: Any truth to these stories??

I have an N100, and it is a bit noisy. But I like it better than any helmet I have owned in the past thirty years. Never crashed so I have to trust Nolan on the integrity of the construction
piinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:55 AM   #46
maladg
Registered Member

I converted to a filp a couple of years ago. I love it. My glasses love it. Wish I'd coverted much earlier.

I tried the new Schuberth last week. My reg. hat size is XL. Looks like XXXL for Schuberth.

I visited every bike shop that doesn't - well, you know - here in metro over the last few weeks. Yes, I'm thinking of replacing the "Fat Lady" soon, but nobody had a Shoi flip in stock. Even the Euro shops. Strange.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:16 AM   #47
Bill_Scott
Founding Member

I wear glasses, and for years, IÂ’ve looked enviously upon my motorcycling brethren and sisteren (!) who wore those wondrously sleek and highly protective full-coverage helmets. When the flip-lids first arrived on the market, I thought my prayers had been answered. But, it seems the old adage still applies; "There is no such thing as a free lunch."

I bought a Nolan N-100, and was mildly pleased with it. The fit was very good, and I really liked the chin strap latch mechanism. I could even latch and tighten the chin strap with my gloves on! (I know, helmet first, THEN gloves, sigh). BUT, the chin bar release was a little cranky, and there was only one on the side. Not always convenient. The helmet was also very noisy. I got rid of the N-100 (which by the way, was standard equipment for Washington State Police motorcycle officers two years ago). To their credit, Nolan has since gone to an ambidextrous release system.

When I got my Â’05 Road Glide, I chose the H-D branded flip-up. But, I found to my dismay, it was even noisier than the Nolan. It seems passing strange, that a helmet with so few moving parts can sound like the inside of a boiler factory at any speed over a walking pace! I havenÂ’t tried the Arai or Shoei versions, but I suspect the noise issue is endemic to the flip-up design. Too bad for us eyeglass wearing riders.

Now for the dork-factor. I am a fairly large man (6Â’ 2", 260 lbs), and I have a very chubby set of cheeks (well, two if you must know, but letÂ’s keep this G-rated). Whenever I don ANY three-quarter helmet, my cheeks get compressed and pooched out, and I look very much like a gigantic, extremely constipated chipmunk. The flip lids donÂ’t do anything to change the look. The only saving grace, is the ability to drop the chin bar into battery and pretend no one notices the large, bulky rest of me.

I don't have any experience with the new Nolan, but I may drop down to my neighborhood shop for a look. Meanwhile, I am still pursuing the Holy Grail; a full coverage lid that is comfortable for eyeglass wearers with heads like hairy bowling balls.

Bill in Kennewick, WA.

Bill_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:48 AM   #48
macmanjim
Founding Member

Default Re: No compromises for me.

Says who?

2009 R1200RT

My Motorrad
Old 10-09-2005, 11:58 AM   #49
seruzawa
The Toad

Nice try but no free subscription for you.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:41 PM   #50
fatboy
Registered Member

Used a Nolan N100 almost daily for 2 years. Very nice helmet ... but I do have 3 complaints:

(1) the weather seals around the faceshield wore out in about 8 months of use and the strip along the top edge of the faceshield is about gone now.

(2) there is lots of noise produced around the collar of the helmet from buffeting wind. When I place my hand ... like beneath my ear and under the collar ... there is quite a noticeable reduction in noise. I think this helmet would benefit greatly by having some sort of continuous foam around its collar. I see this done on other new helmets.

(3) big gripe here ... the flat plastic pieces on each side of the helmet ... that hold the faceshield on ... are not strong enough to prevent the spring mechanism from protruding and interfereing with the faceshield mechanism. AND... making LOTS of wind noise. I even went into a shop thinking I would replace my N100 but to my surprise ... the helmet sitting on the shelf already had the darn springs protruding. I think this is probably the only weak point in the design of this helmet that I really really dislike. When you pickup this helmet look at the side of it and you will see a spring loaded pin that allows the faceshield to rachet up when the helmet is closed. These are the guys that push their way out and create NOISE when they do so.

I can live with the first 2 complaints but the 3rd one will prevent me from purchasing another one of these helmets unless I see that the N102 is a different design.

That said ... I really do like this helmet but think with a little work that it could be much much much ......... much better.
fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote