Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Two Survivors: The Story of Celmile Holloway (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/3062-two-survivors-story-celmile-holloway.html)

sportbikebandit 10-06-2005 07:30 PM

Re: Two Survivors: The Story of Celmile Holloway

Fantastic story Gabe! Kind of put things in perspective for me i.e. how fortunate I am. I'll see if my wife won't let me donate some cash. Great stuff MO!

longride 10-07-2005 01:55 AM

Nice job Gabe! Already gave to the Red Cross weeks ago. I'm sure everyone can spare something to help these people. Motorcyclists are generally more giving than most. Let's keep that tradition alive for the people that need it most.

HNH750 10-07-2005 03:02 AM

Great story! I have a brother that lives in Slidell and is doing cleanup and construction work. Dan tells me that the people that have moved back are willing to pay almost anything to get their house repaired. For those that are hard workers and need a job head on down cause they need the help. My second connection to this story as you can see by my name is the Nighthawk 750. Like mans best friend it's always there for you and never lets you down.

5valvethumper 10-07-2005 03:27 AM

Great story. Thanks for the sidebar on how you got to where you are. I passed it on to my wife who teaches Career Prep and Media Convergence at a local college. It's hard to emphasize to the students how important good writing skills, photo, video editing, etc. all ties together, and can be used in any carreer...even in the military! Keep up the good work.

teknoman 10-07-2005 04:13 AM

Thanks Gabe,as an american who happens to be black ,you brought tears to my eyes.While a lot of people argue about what,s wrong with America,us true Americans just do what,s right.Will talk to my fellow bike friends and see what they can do. Again my heartfelt thanks, and god bless you and all the men and women in the military who stay out of politics ,and just do their job regardless of race .

Buzglyd 10-07-2005 05:33 AM

Can Bike Bandit set up something like a registry and we could go online and purchase items that he needs?

I'll buy the guy a new battery if it can be handled this way.

sportbikebandit 10-07-2005 06:38 AM

Great idea!

johnnyb 10-07-2005 06:51 AM

good work Gabe, i am trying to think of other motojournalists who are there... i am drawing a Blank. In fact, I don't know anybody who's in the Guard or Reserves come to think of it. Could be a blue state thing i guess.

May as well track down Confederate and c if the added moisture improves their products any. Somehow i doubt it... oh, Ted the Turbine Moto man is a few miles over from you, Marine Turbine something...

Gabe 10-07-2005 07:01 AM

More a economic class thing, I think

Than a blue state thing. California has a very large contingent of Guard troops in Louisiana and Iraq as well. Los Angeles has lost more people in Iraq than any other city in the USA.

There are no blue or red states, just lighter and darker shades of purple. We're all paying and suffering together, like it or not.

I'm actually back from Louisiana now. I might get to see you next week.

Tigercub 10-07-2005 07:15 AM

Thanks for the great story. The disaster brought out the worst and best in us.

I would like to see the use of dual-purpose bikes for relief agencies. You can imagine how useful they would have been after the Katrina disaster.