Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-01-2001, 07:02 AM   #11
neoyetif2
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 Alexandra Palace Show Feedback

O.K. I found the truth. I knew it was out there. Check out http://tongahighschool.bizland.com/melb_22.htm

It is the first GP bike from Tonga named after Miss Lemota who rode it to 1st place in the first annual Tonga Grand Prix.

Make my shirt a XXL.
neoyetif2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2001, 07:47 AM   #12
hoyt
Founding Member

Tiberius. God I'm a dork for knowing that.
hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2001, 08:39 AM   #13
MoMo
Founding Member

actually it is Tuna Fish Sandwich
MoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2001, 09:36 AM   #14
RobGixxer750
Founding Member

Default Nothing

if I remember correctly, the T is solely for show. Then again, Star Trek is known for being overly thorough with background story. That said, I will remain with T meaning nothing.

Rob
RobGixxer750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2001, 11:27 AM   #15
HankMurphy
Founding Member

Default Re: Maico MD 250-based Racer

The bike in the photo has been modified in several ways, but it appears to be a Maico MD 250 road bike converted to racing configuration. I believe that the disk brake is not original. It also appears that the engine cooling fins have been cut down slightly.

I am going to guess that Lemoto is the name of a sponsor.

Alternatively, this might be a Barile, but I don't think he ever did two-strokes.

XXL, please. Thank you.
HankMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2001, 05:07 PM   #16
neoyetif2
Founding Member

Default Re: Nothing

It is Tiberius. Hoyt is a dork! Hoyt is a dork!

And yes I am to. Tiberius was one of the Ceasers in Rome. (I am a really Big Dork now)
Old 02-01-2001, 05:08 PM   #17
neoyetif2
Founding Member

Yes sir you are correct, it is Tiberius.

Hoyt is a dork! Hoyt is a dork!

And yes I am to. Tiberius was one of the Ceasers in Rome. (I am a really Big Dork now)
Old 02-01-2001, 08:01 PM   #18
bmaxw
Founding Member

Its Carl Fogarty's first race bike. He rode it stright out of the birth canal, which explains the placenta paint scheme.
bmaxw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 10:33 PM   #19
Janet
Founding Member

The bike is definitely an MZ ETZ250 in race trim. Even the tank is the standard ETZ250 item. Here in the UK we have had an MZ racing series for many years - I think it started in about 1986 and is still going. See http://website.lineone.net/~elt/ for more information. Darren Moggridge is the current champ.

It was set up to enable people to get into racing very cheaply indeed - it was rumoured that some racers spent more on their one-piece leathers than on their race bikes.

I'm not sure about the name Lemoto, but back in the '80s a company called Mel Lemoto used to make rear-sets for Japanese bikes, particularly for two-strokes I think. I can only guess that they were providing some sponsorship?

As for who the bike belongs/belonged to and therefore its significance: I'm afraid I have drawn a blank there.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2001, 09:30 AM   #20
Janet
Founding Member

Default Re: odd bike significance

The ETZ250 has a box section spine that runs from the headstock straight back underneath the tank. The motor is mounted at the back of the crankcase and then there is a hanger that comes down to the rear of the head. It is comprised of two metal cups with a sort of rubber damper between them. if you watch an ETZ250 ticking over on the centrestand you will see that the motor is quite literally bouncing up and down.

You can trust me on this - it works and cuts the vibration down a great deal: my husband and I did a camping trip across much of Western Europe on a pair of ETZ250s. Also, on one occasion, my husband managed to shear one of the bolts that goes from the hanger to the cylinder head and had to ride about 60 miles with the motor tied on with yachting twine!!
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote