Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-26-2005, 03:50 PM   #1
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Whaaaaa?

Aaaarrgh, Mwaaaaahhhhh!

First Post!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2005, 04:00 PM   #2
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Husaberg MO'tard Testing

I'm surprised the rest of you MOrons haven't discovered SM's. I have a modified KTM 620 RXC that is an absolute hoot. It's not too bad on the highway, either, and I have ridden it for 2-3 hour stints.

Then again, I am mostly a dirt bike guy, and I gravitate towards these kind of things.

Old 09-26-2005, 04:18 PM   #3
eekadog
Founding Member

how about a motard comparo...
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:38 PM   #4
jeffs
Founding Member

Still waiting for a street-legal factory motard with decent maintenance intervals.
jeffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:56 PM   #5
Badkat
Founding Member

Try the KTM 625 SMC, nice long (relatively) intervals. I hope your not thinking about doing 10-15k or so....
\'03tuono;7/11KAT;IBA#10456
Badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:59 PM   #6
wwalkersd
Founding Member

How about the Suzuki DRZ-400SM? Anybody know what the maintenance intervals are on that one?
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:06 PM   #7
rmiller
Founding Member

I've been watching the super motard models for at least two years. the KTM dealer says the 520 EXC singles are a bit too fragile for hard street riding and you cant get them registered, and I dont want the larger enduro bikes.

noone has built the logical extension to this style yet, except perhapsy aprilia. the 450 and 550s have been around for a while now and i'm still waiting on a 550 with lights. but aprilia, like KTM, takes about 3 times as long as i'd like to bring a bike to market, especially here in the states.

the japanese would be the logical ones to build a lightweight twin at a reasonable price. Do the math. What is 55% of 155 rear wheel horsepower?

i still think a single would be too stressed as a street bike, but a small twin with TOP quality aluminum frame, braking, and suspension components? If Yamaha can build my Warrior (read low production numbers), they can certainly build an $8500 top of the line supermotard for me. And I'd buy it too. In a heartbeat.

this class of bike will be reaching its make or break point within a year or two. it will most likely reach critical mass ONLY if a streetable version with quality components is built. noone would buy cbr600rr's if they were track only. lesson learned.

I hope these bikes get over the hump. i would rather have a bike with sit up ergonomics and 80 horsepower at 310 lbs tank empty than one with 150 horsepower and 415 lbs tank empty. actually, i'd rather have both, but at least give me a choice.

rmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 07:08 PM   #8
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Excellent work Gabe. Interesting bike. Ever since I saw Ben Bostrom win a SM race in the X-Games I have been intrigued. Maybe this a whole new market segment ready to boom...Cool pictures and fun read..Thanks
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:08 AM   #9
pplassm
Founding Member

It's really easy to get a KTM registered. They don't "brand" their MSO's like the Japanese do. I know of several people riding EXC's on the street. The real issue is the lack of a driveline damper in the rear hub. This can be solved by using the rear hub from a 620/640 and flipping it over.

Not sure what this means -" it will most likely reach critical mass ONLY if a streetable version with quality components is built. "

KTM, Husqvarna, TM and Husaberg have been offering street legal Supermotos for a few years now, and they all have nothing but the best componentry. Maybe they don't offer 80HP and 310 Lbs., but how about 60HP and 280 Lbs.?

Perhaps you would prefer the KTM 950 Supermoto. It's a lightweight V-twin that gets rave reviews from every tester.

My point is, the bikes are out there. Don't wait for the Japanes to make one.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:58 AM   #10
jeffs
Founding Member

Sorry, meant to include "larger engine" in the original post.

I've looked at the DRZ, but given the marginal performance and the horrible resale value I've given up the thought of a new one. Might take advantage of someone else's depreciation though.
jeffs is offline   Reply With Quote