Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Husaberg MO'tard Testing (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/3045-husaberg-motard-testing.html)

RRocket 09-27-2005 11:28 PM

Hot Yammie..

The lucky pricks in Europe get this loevely Yamaha MT-03, powered by the Yamaha 660 single (used in the Raptor). The is a great looking bike, and I hope it comes to my neckof the woods. I'd love to own one!!

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.uk/Images...cm46-79324.jpg

KLRer 09-28-2005 01:25 AM

Re: Husaberg MO'tard Testing

Great article, very interesting. I want one--the 650e has to be one of the quickest bikes off the line you can buy out of a store. Changing oil every 300 miles though? That would take some getting used to. KLR650 has a rec 3000 mile interval.

supertireguy 09-28-2005 03:12 AM

Husaberg Oil Changes

Change the oil every 300 miles? This might sound silly but please keep in mind that these Husabergs are not distance machines but race oriented and they only hold 1 quart of oil.

Don't worry, be happy. Oil changes are a breeze on these bikes. You don't need to remove any bodywork. All you need is a 13mm socket wrench, an allen key for the filter, one $7 KTM oil filter, one quart of quality oil and 15 minutes labor. A word to the wise, don't overfill the bike with oil as the extra is blown into the airbox, down into the carb and you'll end up with a big smokey ill running machine.

If you absolutely must have more miles between oil changes there are aftermarket (Joe Racer) external oil coolers that bring the capacity up to a whopping two quarts of oil.

If you still want more distance between oil changes then don't get a racebike.

KLRer 09-28-2005 04:00 AM

Re: Husaberg Oil Changes

Why are oil changes required so often? And the filter too--every 300 miles? Closer tolerances in a highly tuned engine maybe, so any grit or metal flakes that get in there causes more problems than normal? I don't know, not a gearhead by any stretch.

mscuddy 09-28-2005 11:00 AM

Remember the original Husaberg and Husqavarna 4 strikers that used 2 stroke lower ends?

2 pints of oil were kept in the camchain case, and squirted back and forth between the crankcase/cylinder with a couple of reed valves.

Wild. Crazy stuff.

supertireguy 09-28-2005 11:24 AM

I think the frequent oil changes are a function of having only 1 quart of oil in play. How many other bikes do you know of with this little oil capacity? And I don't hold myself exactly to the 300 mile rule, sometimes it gets to 400-500 miles before I get the chance to change it.

As with most motors/oil you can always allow more time/mileage between oil changes but if you really care about your bike and want the engine to live a long and happy life you are well advised to change the oil more frequently. I suppose you could wait 1000 miles between oil changes but I prefer to to pamper this bike.

I clean the screen filter every oil change but actually change the paper filter every other oil change. Saves me a whopping $7.

12er 09-28-2005 04:04 PM

I did just that, left the 21 front hoop and put metzler street rubber on it. Went with a M.A.P. oversized rotor and a steel braided line, progressive fork springs, the usual K&N/dyna jet kit/ supertrapp. The whole works for about $2k and rode the hell out of it. A dual sport with street rubber in SF is the only choice for me. Once I moved out to the east bay with more time on the slab I finally said goodbye to the KLR. Would still have it if it wasnt for the lack of motor on the slab, miss it bigtime in the twisties. Guess I'll just have to buy a Ulysses to make up for that hole in my heart. Still amazed that I never went down or lost my license while in SF though. Wheelie's everywhere, jumping off anything I could find, clearing the Divisadero intersection while flying up Turk on the way home, ah the memories.

pplassm 09-28-2005 04:35 PM

Good point, I do all my own work, and look at riding from that perspective. In fact, I built the bike I have from a dual-sport bike. I have 3 KTM's and they are the best!. And, yes, I have been riding for 36 years, ridden all types and sorts of motorcycles.

My advice, get someone to let you try theirs. You may be a convert, too.

In the meantime, I'm getting a new dirt bike, and bulding a supercharged streetfighter from a wrecked bike.

pplassm 09-28-2005 04:38 PM

Most of the bikes from Europe come with an MSO (Manufacturere's Statement of Origin) that is not "Branded" with a statement declaring the bike "not for highway use". This makes it very easy to title/register the bike in most states.

Best bet is to check with dirt bike/dual sport riders in your area.

pplassm 09-28-2005 04:43 PM

Here's what I did.

Bought 1995 KTM620 RXC for $1500 on ebay. RXC's are street legal in all states, but earlier ones have no electric starter, and are cheap.

I bought 17" hoops with rims from KTM for about $800. That gets you up and running.

I found a caliper adapter and a Duke front disk on ebay for about $50. I used a 620 SX (Motocross) muffler for more punch, and Metzler tires.

Don't be afraid to go Austrian! KTM's Rule!