Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-27-2005, 04:00 AM   #11
clinging
Founding Member

Default Re: Husaberg MO'tard Testing

Is it practical to import a street-legal motard from Europe, or are the legal hassles to great to make it worthwhile?

And has anyone had experience with the Husky 610SM? It looks the an ideal mount for someone who mostly wants to ride a nimble, light bike on the street.
clinging is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2005, 04:04 AM   #12
jeffs
Founding Member

The mainstream doesn't want to drive 60 miles to jerry's lawn mower and motorcycle shop to buy a bike. The dealer network of many of these brands is a joke. Aprillia? not any better.

They're all fine if you're doing all your own wrenching - something the majority of the riding public isn't doing.

I would like to see the segment turn mainstream, but I just don't think it's going to happen in this country. There's not enough horsepower, straight line speed, or perceived coolness.
jeffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:20 AM   #13
bmwdude
Founding Member

"MO'tard" hehehe.... I think that means something other than "Super Biker" in English?

I love the concept though, too bad folks here in the US are so hung up on cruisers that they barely take time to notice what else is out there.

On the subject of buying and SM bike. Is it possible to take something like a KLR and put street tires on it and make your own SM bike?
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:10 AM   #14
gas_pig
Founding Member

Good plan. Look on Thumper Talk for lots of ways to mod the DRZ. I ride my 'S' on the road like a Motard, though it kinda wears on the knobbies.

Mostly it's my off-road toy, but sometimes it's more entertaining to commute on than my FZ1.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:12 AM   #15
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Good article Gabe, Guys. Those things sound like a HOOT. Maybe MR. ALLCAPS would ride em for a change of pace from the GIXXER? I'd give up 10% power for 10 times the service interval.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:21 AM   #16
gas_pig
Founding Member

The KLR would not be my first SM choice in the 650cc class. You can find good examples of 'low price' Japanese custom motards on the web. Best choices would be Honda XR650L (XR650R if you can get it registered) or a Suzuki DR650SE.

Converting any of these bikes will take at least $1200 which includes wheels and tires.

If you want to buy one of the floor with a Yamaha 660cc engine look at MZ:

http://www.motorradna.com/models/supermoto/index.html
Old 09-27-2005, 08:50 AM   #17
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Husabergs are neat and dandy, but has anyone checked on the cost of replacement parts lately?

Last I checked a piston cost $600.00. And that's without rings, pin, circlips, etc...
Old 09-27-2005, 11:28 AM   #18
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Yes, but

the old one makes a swell ashtray.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:07 PM   #19
robbures
Registered Member

All the talk about how easy it is to wheelie (and I KNOW it is), and I don't see even one snapshop of the bike with its front wheel off the ground! Bah!
robbures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:59 PM   #20
RRocket
Founding Member

Generally the dealer network isn't a huge issue--most guys that own these sort of bikes have been racing/wrenching on bikes forever. The only reason a dealer might be required, is for parts. Most people use the internet to get them. A couple of German companies even have 4 day delivery to the states for KTM parts. KTM used to make tractors, and their engines will run for many miles of abuse like a tractor. Most Supermotos engines don't have a gentle life, but blown up engines is a rarity at the KTM Supermoto owners clubs. This is also like a "last step" for many bikers I know. This is the type of bike you buy after you've riden everything under the sun, and you want hardcore fun without spending hardcore money. I had tons of fun on bikes I've motarded, and plenty of fun on a pal's KTM 640 Supermoto. Great bike!
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote