Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-21-2005, 09:40 PM   #1
sqidbait
Founding Member

Default Re: Buying a Motorcycle: Part III

My last purchase was painless.

I emailed a local dealer asking about a particular model. I mentioned that I was buying within 2 weeks, and was paying cash.

He replied, saying that he had one ready to go, and offered to sell it at a more than fair OTD price.

So I bought it. Picked it up a couple days later.

Maybe I'm just getting impatient as I get older, but I have zero interest in ****ing around with sales people anymore. If they can't be straight with me - and not waste my m-f-ing time - I'm not buying.

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2005, 01:41 AM   #2
sv1000rider
Founding Member

Maybe I'm in the minoritey on this one but when I rode those old bikes, I never felt like I was about to lose all my posessions; get robbed, beaten, and raped; and then die.

But this post will probably be removed so nobody will be able to comment on their experiences with an early 1970's era superbike.
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 01:49 AM   #3
ncelik
Registered Member

I always thought the Gap insurance covers the difference between the loan amount and real value, not the difference between new value and loan amount??
ncelik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 01:59 AM   #4
DBw9
Founding Member

Step 3 - The Demonstration

It really bothers me when I know more about a bike than the salesman does. Don't they go over the manuals when a bike comes in, so they know the bike in and out so they can "brag it up" or answer any and all questions? I don't expect them to have the knowledge of a fully competent mechanic, but should know more than the guy walking in off the street - and I'm no expert.

Do they keep up with the reviews in the motorcycle press? Or how the bike is better than the competition, etc. With this lack of knowledge I get the impression they don't even ride - or at least too lazy to keep informed.

I see the same thing at car dealerships. Maybe most of those coming in are uninformed and the salesman would rather work with easy "marks" or spurt-of-the-moment buyers with money to waste.
DBw9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:27 AM   #5
smithrob75
Founding Member

I like the way my dealer does it...

http://www.kawasakicityirving.com/price.html

No muss, no fuss, no negotiation. A better price than an other dealer and they've been in business since 1968, so they're not fly by night.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:52 AM   #6
SaturnV
Registered Member

Yeah, I've run into this a number of times - it definitely lowers one's confidence in a salesman when he gets his facts and figures wrong. Oddly, the European dealer salesfolks seem to be more knowledgeable regarding their bikes, in my experience, than those at the dealerships for the big 4 Japanese manufacturers. Not quite sure why that would be...

-S5
SaturnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:15 AM   #7
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Focus on one key word: OTD

Once you decide on your motorcycle, you, as a buyer, only care about the OTD (Out the Door) price, after tax, nuisance charges, and everything else.

For all I care, the dealer could charge $1 for the bike and $7998 for freight-and-setup. (And some effectively do-so). So you never negotiate about the sale price of the bike itself, but of the OTD price, so everything is clearly on the table.

And it can really vary from dealer to dealer, and brand-to-brand. EG, some HD dealers are notorious about having huge setup charges.

If in email, be sure to print out all quotes on the OTD price. When buying a car, the dealer finance guy "accidentally" tried to charge me $500 over the agreed price (the price quote I got was before the $500 student discount, he wrote it up as after). So print out the emails.

Another good resource for californians is there are a couple of big dealers that specialize in Internet quotations. (www.otdcyclesports.com is one). These allow you to select a bike, put in an email address, and get an OTD quote.

Print this out and use it as a starting point. EG, in the bay area, I recommend getting an OTD quote from the LA super-dealer, and then going to your local dealer and seeing if they will match the OTD quote + $120 (a one-way, walk-up southwest ticket to LA) + $40 (the gas to do the break-in ride back home up highway 1. Yeah, there is the additional TIME involved, but heck, I'd PAY for a nice relaxing ride up PCH).

This way, you KNOW what the good rock-bottom price is as a starting point, and you know your REAL Costs for the rock-bottom price (the airfair and gasoline).

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:25 AM   #8
SRMark
Founding Member

Nice work Gabe. It's good to have an insider's perspective.

Also, I bought my 1976 Yamaha RD400 for a whole lot less than $1,600. However, while it seemed to perform great at the time, it only did the quarter mile (the holy grail back then) in 14.2. It wasn't a Norton but it wasn't that far off. It's not even on the same planet as a modern 600 sport bike. Six hundred SSs are true engineering marvels and real bargains. Yet I don't lust after any new 600 and want to put another old Yamaha 2 stroke twin and a Norton Commando in the garage in the not too distant future. Go figure.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:48 AM   #9
pattonme
Founding Member

Default but, but, but

they aren't charging more than MSRP!!!
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:51 AM   #10
bbtowns
Founding Member

Excellent article Gabe. Just a comment that you can significantly cut the time involved in a sale by having your financing arranged upfront. Unless the manufacturer is offering promotional financing, you'll get a better deal with your local credit union, can cut an hour or more out of the closing time, and can negotiate a cleaner deal knowing you've got cash in your pocket (negotiate the price of the bike, not the payment amount). Plus it's not as easy for the dealer to add pre-paid oil changes to the financed cost of your bike.

I've bought about fifteen new bikes over the years, and this article describes my experiences very well.