Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (
-   MO Reader Feedback (
-   -   Buying a Motorcycle: Part III (

strydg 09-24-2005 06:32 PM

Re: Buying a Motorcycle: Part III
You want to buy a bike. What bike do you want? Do some research. Find out what a good price is for the bike you want. Find somebody who's got the bike you want for the price you want to pay. Get your money. Buy the bike. Everybody's happy. Why all the games?

maxriderdon 09-25-2005 04:04 AM

Seems more like an article about proper salesmanship. To that I say salesman - #1 know your product!!!!!!! #2 be friendly, #3 be honest. Don't start those typical sales statement/questions (would you like that in red or blue) with seasoned buyers!!!!!!

Now back to us buyers - #1 remember you hold the power in negotiations unless you give it away (stupid). Buying new? Do a search on, you can find some great deals where dealers are already competing. At the dealership want to make the dealer drop prices w/o even asking? Just mention well, let me go home and think about it, dealer know if you walk out the door they probably will lose the sale.

Let me state it again incase you were dosing, "you hold the power of the negotiations unless your dumb enough to give it away". That said while I will buy a new car sometimes, I never buy new bikes because most dealers expect you to buy then ride, no demo (not happening) and even more important too many slightly used metrics for huge discounts off new. Harley is about the only brand I would consider buying new only because too many dummies willing to overpay for used Harleys. Depreciation on well cared for Jap bikes after the 1st 2 years is minimal and you get awesome bikes for less.

Gabe 09-25-2005 06:45 PM

All I can say is that is terrible advice for a nascent salesman and would guarantee a meagre income.

And if the pece seems like "an article about proper salesmanship", it's because I'm trying to give readers a perspective on how the sales process works.

It's funny how I made the point at least twice that sales professionals will always have vastly more experience than even the most prolific vehicle buyer, but you still have a dismissive and arrogant attitude towards the sales process. That attitude is why salespeople often despise their customers and instantly start figuring out how to fleece them as badly as possible.

Your approach will usually only work if a unit you want is readily available and in high demand, or if the sales staff isn't doing their job. What if you don't want a metric crusier or CBR600F4i?

How do you know if the sales department is clueless? You learn about the sales process. Expand your mind.

You will only start to learn when you realize how little you know.

Good point you made about giving away your negotiating power. Read Herb Cohen!

Thanks for reading MO!

maxriderdon 09-26-2005 06:41 AM

Re: Wow!
Well it's apparent your formal education is beyond mine I had to look up two of your chosen words:

Nascent = Newbie

Meagre = More common spelling here is the US is meager, are you British?

Ok, back to your points, I said

"- #1 know your product!!!!!!! #2 be friendly, #3 be honest."

You say that is bad advice??? Huh?

Or maybe it was

"Don't start those typical sales statement/questions (would you like that in red or blue) with seasoned buyers!!!!!!"

You did not like that either? The key there was "seasoned buyers" Clue - Seasoned buyer has heard it a hundred times and is sick of trying to be manipulated.

Gabe, You say I need to expand my mind about the sale process. I'm 47, trust me I know all I need to know about the sales process. To put it simple it's human psychology, I know the games, and I actually enjoy the games now since I have played a lot. I have fun twisting everything around they throw at me and watch them squirm. When I was a lot younger the games were played on me when I didn't know how to play. I was smart enough in the end to not get taken, but now the salesman plays by my rules or we don't play which = no sale.

Also itÂ’s very true salesmen who actually know their products well are few and far between. That has been my experience. ThatÂ’s why my first comment was "know your product" Is that asking too much?

teknoman 09-26-2005 11:50 AM

Thanks for the info,bro.They also own the dealership here in las vegas[I hear the poeple are nicer though]But I,m buying my beemer bike [used]from california.

teknoman 09-26-2005 12:06 PM

You sure your wife and mine aren,t related?My wife pulled the EXACT same thing .And I like you have "sucka" written all over my face!I just shut up when we are buying something.

tomaso1 11-10-2005 01:31 AM

Not true, the local Las Vegas Dealer is superb. I have already bought two bikes, they will deal, they have good service, they are friendly and they have a great selection of bikes and accessories. Call Jeb Berg, he is the General Manager and you will like him as I do.

frenchevets 12-27-2005 09:06 PM

i have enjoyed the three articles on how to buy a bike, how about a forth,what type of bikes for the skill level of the riders? I am a new rider and read your articles searching for clues, but lack of riding experience hinders the decision making process.

phlosar 02-15-2006 11:41 AM

Great article. I want to buy a new Suzuki SV650S in the next few weeks. I considered used, but the prices were too high, coupled with stories like the bike had been put down but only had a few (!) dents. This will be my first new bike. I had a 1982 Yamaha Seca 400 that I bought after my MSF class back in 1991.

A few questions:

1) Is it the case that there are no demo rides? Do you just sit on the bike and make a decision?

2) Is there an option besides for invoice prices? They don't have the 2006 invoice price, but they have 2005.

3) What kind of discount can I expect for paying cash in full?

mad_scientist 08-14-2006 02:53 PM

Concerning no.1, there are some -but not many- dealers who will let you take test rides. One is El Dorado Cycles in El Dorado, MO. He practically begged me to test ride everything he had. I might have to go back and test ride a Triumph Rocket III.