Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (
-   MO Reader Feedback (
-   -   Buying a Motorcycle: Part III (

dean_1 09-22-2005 03:54 PM

Re: Buying a Motorcycle: Part III
Good article but I wish you printed before I got drunk and bought one Ebay. I think Burns was with me.

leach7 09-22-2005 05:27 PM

Re: Does time of year matter much?
The next month or so will be a good time to buy a bike, at least from the Japanese brands. Dealers sell more ATV's with hunting season coming up and are a little more willing to give you a deal to get a street bike out the door and open up some floor space for ATVs.

gforces 09-22-2005 09:07 PM

well la - dee - da
For the rest of us plebians driving Toyotas and Hondas (the lesser or better 4-wheeled transport, depending upon your view of what a car should be like), all you have to do is find out who the fleet manager is, and deal only with that person.

They'll have you out of there in a new car within an hour, since they only care about moving cars off the lot, not trying to trick you out of your first-born with some 4-spot checkers.

pub7 09-22-2005 09:45 PM

any other resources? Re: Buying a Motorcycle: Part III
thanks for the articles. im looking to buy a new motorcycle (first). i got the invoice price from however, i havnt had any luck with TSB/recall information. there doesnt seem to be any site for motorcycles like there is for cars(ex: any help? just want to see what kind of technical service bulletins and recalls theyre pushing out to the dealers for the model im looking at.

SRMark 09-23-2005 03:10 AM

Re: Be Nice!
A good writer and chivalrous to boot. I tip my hat in your general direction.

Buzglyd 09-23-2005 05:13 AM

Hopefully when she asks you a technical question is has nothing to do with motorcycles.

sportbikebandit 09-23-2005 05:59 AM

LOL touche'

itchface 09-23-2005 02:34 PM

I think that Gabe forgot to mention a few other ways to grind any profitability out of the "stealer."

Show up just 5 minutes before closing time to buy a bike, and then take your sweet time. After around an hour past closing time, make them a ridiculous low-ball offer on the bike you want. They'll be really eager to go home to their families so they'll probably counter with a really low price just to get the sale over with. This works especially well if the salesperson, the sales manager, and the F&I manager are all there working overtime. Then take their lowest offer to nest shop just before they close to get them to beat it.

Here's another method I've seen used: Send anonymous emails to every dealer in the country asking for their absolute rock-bottom price on what you want. Let them think you're a local buyer so they'll take you seriously. Then, armed with print-outs of all the return emails, go to you local dealer and tell them they have to match the lowest quote you got. If they tell you that the lowest quote is from a dealer 2500 miles away, tell them that doesn't matter 'cuz you were planning on vacationing there in a few days anyway.

Above all else, never be pleasant when negotiating price. It'll be seen as a sign of weakness. Be the biggest d i c k you can be and threaten to walk out if they ever so much as look at you funny.

If everybody adheres to the simple principle that anything goes when negotiating with a dealer then they'll eventually just go out of business and we'll get to buy what we want direct from the manufacturers at a reduced price.

Then we'll start the process over with the manufacturers.

Just say NO to people trying to make a living in the motorcycle business!

FrankGrimes 09-23-2005 05:20 PM

Why do motorcycle dealers try to put a guilt trip on people for trying to buy something for a lower price? "Support your local shop?"

Why? How does that help me? 12-18% margins on the price of the bike?-Does anyone else think thats awesome! How much margins would they like to make? 35%? Keystone?

Bottom line: I'm not paying for some to have an improperly run business. How many resturaunts fail in their first year? Having a business is tough, don't depend on customers to make up for YOUR shortcomings.

Gabe 09-23-2005 05:51 PM

Good Question! Check this out:

You do have to search by year, not model, but it's not bad for the gubbmint.