Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Buying a Motorcycle: Part III (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/3036-buying-motorcycle-part-iii.html)

sportbikebandit 09-22-2005 12:25 PM

Re: Buying a Motorcycle: Part III

Excellent article Gabe !!

I think your best advice is "Don't be afraid to walk". Because I am so emotional bout bikes and cars my wife does all of the negotiations. I just pick out the bike or car I want and she takes it from their. The wife is unemotional and she loves the game. We usually come in with cash (which can work against you) and she tells me to be prepared to walk out the door. Before we go in though my wife has some numbers the MSRP, year old prices on the same model, cycle trader adds, etc. Don't buy the extended warranty at the dealer. You can get it cheaper from the manufacturer directly. Usually they will send you a flyer in the mail about extended warranties. Gabe is absolutely right the more time they spend on you the more leverage you have. One time in a car deal my wife threatened to walk after two hours of talking. We were just getting into the car and a salesman comes running out with a clipboard with a new offer. She was brilliant. However, I have this word "sucker" tatooed on my forehead. She doesn't like me to say anything after the deal starts unless she asks me a technical question.

Great piece of work, all three parts Gabe Thanks

sportbikebandit 09-22-2005 12:32 PM

OK I've done the same. Enjoy your Buell! I hope you can do an article for MO after a year. Like living with a Buell. I love the looks of the Buells and the less maitenance thing is appealing after having a bike that requires valve inspections and carb synchros...

seruzawa 09-22-2005 12:37 PM

Liberals only get upset when YOU have a gun.

mscuddy 09-22-2005 12:46 PM

Thanks. I hear Fuji Motors is buying out Buell soon so I thought I'd better grab one.

Ha ha, just kidding.

Later KP.

nweaver 09-22-2005 12:54 PM

Actually, OTD == MSRP on a buell is a very good price. HD dealers are notorious for selling MSRP + Nuisance Charges + Tax.

ofreen 09-22-2005 01:28 PM

The cure for that is to take a liberal out plinking. Most will have enough fun that they will start to come around to the dark side.

mscuddy 09-22-2005 01:45 PM

I know, I got an inside tip that Harbor City HD had bought out another HD dealer (that closed it's doors), and was overstocked on Buells.

The salesman squased the delaer prep ($749.00) and tax ($650.00). Along with a couple other small ***** charges.

I think that's a smokin' deal. And they sold me a new Arai for half price. Good folks them California HD salesmen are.

Gabe 09-22-2005 03:08 PM

Be Nice!

The illustrator is Angela Jeter, who also worked in motorcycle sales. I think she's a talented artist and love her work.

Gabe 09-22-2005 03:13 PM

End of year, end of month...

I think you can take advantage of a dealer's low salesnumbers at the end of the year or month, but I think the stronger information is knowing how well that vehicle sells, what it cost, and what the demand is on it.

A good salesmanager will still be able to wrest a few bucks out of a customer, no matter how few units they've sold. And a successful dealership has ways of eating during the lean winter times.

12er 09-22-2005 03:36 PM

My last and I mean last Ford self destructed within 1k miles of the warrenty expiring (7 different problems). The designed to break mantra went off loud and clear for me. Once you get a lemon it doesnt matter what others have experianced, that brand sux...