Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Buying a Motorcycle: Part III (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/3036-buying-motorcycle-part-iii.html)

sarnali 09-22-2005 09:10 AM

Re: Buying a Motorcycle: Part III

I usually buy last years left over and get a few bucks off that way. With my '05 Thruxton I bought it from a small shop so they didn't have any wiggle room to speak of, I did get a $500 shop credit that paid for the pipes. Bottom line price isn't really the issue for me. I won't pay more than MSRP on principle, but I don't mind paying retail and reasonable freight and set-up and I buy from the shop I like. If I don't like them I don't buy from them unless they're the only game in town. Unlikely, living near a major metro area.

Buying cars is a different story and I'm happy to play games with them guys all day. The last car I bought I showed up at the end of the month at 5:30 on Sunday afternoon and kept at it till after 8:00. I wound up getting an extra $3k on my trade, plus rebates plus a "get him out of here" discount on the new price.

With cars it's crucial to know what your stuff is worth and approximatly what they paid for the car if it's used. They're not going to give anything away no matter what they say, but you can get them pretty much down to a gnats ass if you work them as hard as they're trying to work you.

Tigercub 09-22-2005 09:30 AM

Bikes are different. I usually feel for the bike shop owner. Cars, I could care less about the dealership. I have a love-hate relationship with cars. As long as they work and I don't have to mess with them ,they're OK.

Fords I've owned have been OK, but we bought a Toyota Sienna two years ago and it has had 6 recalls. The radiator and coolant hoses had to be replaced, the headlight has water in it from last winter, the side door won't open from the inside and both side doors squeak and rattle when the cars in motion. Plus what moron thought the fuel injection worked fine below 30mph? The first and last Jap car I ever buy!!!! My sister-in-law bought a Honda Civic last year that was so f***ed-up the dealership gave her all her money back.

bod 09-22-2005 09:31 AM

Why do you always go after my lampshade job I will soon be the next bill gates of the lampshade. oyy

Rekord 09-22-2005 09:42 AM

Interesting info..I have on my cars about 140,000 miles (total, one Camry and one Corolla) and had TWO "problems" meaning I replaced the battery on Camry after 2 years (waranty) and on Corolla after 7 years. Other than that nothing, no problems.

Ned 09-22-2005 10:02 AM

Does time of year matter much?

Gabe:

Do you think the time of year you buy makes much difference in price?

As the end of the riding season is in sight in the northeast I guess you could argue that the dealer wants to make any sale so will be more likely to discount - or you could argue that a sale is rarer in the off season so they need to get near top dollar each time.

Any comments?

Thanks.

Ned

teknoman 09-22-2005 10:46 AM

I agree!when the st1300 first came out,I wanted one,but only being 5ft 6 I don,t thnk I could ride one.HoweverI knew about the 6 way seat displacement the heating issues on the legs,and he did not know any of this and just stared at me!

sarnali 09-22-2005 10:57 AM

Re: Does time of year matter much?

I've always wondered about that assumption as well. With higher volumes in the spring and summer the pricing should be more flexible as opposed to the slower winter months where they'd want every penny they can get.

A few of the multi-line shops around here sell mostly snowmobiles and ATV's in the winter and bikes in the summer.

mscuddy 09-22-2005 11:09 AM

Nice article, but who does the creepy drawings?

When I bought my new City X last Saturday, I walked into Harbor City HD and said to my appointed salesman "I have four grand to put down on a City-X, and I want it out the door for MSRP."

4 hours later I had it in the back of my pickup

for $100.00 over msrp, and they cut me a big discount on a nice silver Arai Austral-X.

It's all how you play it. No BS. Now if I could just get a nice Buell jacket for cost...

seruzawa 09-22-2005 11:37 AM

You want bad dealers? I got bad dealers. BMW of Salt Lake. A guy I work with wanted a new R1150RT. He went there and offered them cash msrp. They laughed at him. He flew to Denver, got picked up at the airport, got a new R1150RT for 10% under msrp and 25% off all accessories. He rode it home. He hasn't ridden up to BMW SLC to thumb his nose at them yet. BMW SLC also charges a 10% markup on top of their normal dealer markup for parts.

Another person I know went to look at F650's and they wouldn't talk to him. Only wanted to sell him an R or K bike. I told him he should write to BMW North America. Apparently there is a lot of bad blood between the dealer and the Utah BMW owners Assoc as well. How stupid can a dealer be to have the BMW owners club mad at him? Lucky for him BMW doesn't allow dealers to open near enough to each other to compete.

Luckily for Utah BMW owners there are a couple of crackerjack BMW repair guys. Doug in Ogden, for example. Some of the beemer guys I know deal with Doug exclusively. If you go to the BMW rallies you might know Doug.

Since they are also the Triumph dealer for Utah I've been reluctant to pull the trigger on a Trumpet.

johnnyb 09-22-2005 11:50 AM

did it fall apart yet? O Ho Ho Ho...

y does that take 4 hours for gods sake? I'm thinking u and Gabe must be people people, chatting about old bikes and exchanging recipes and drinking coffee. I could not sit there for 4 hours w/o opening fire.