Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-16-2005, 05:20 PM   #1
DannyZRC
Founding Member

Default Re: Moto Guzzi Griso: Yossef Brings the News Home

first post!
DannyZRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-16-2005, 05:27 PM   #2
DannyZRC
Founding Member

as I recently switched from a VFR to an R1200GS, I can really appreciate the direction the market is taking in embracing the UJM riding style of old, as well as larger engines in milder states of tune (I won't pretend my GS is gruntier in any gear or any speed than my VFR was, but it sure doesn't have nearly as much compression braking that the VFR did in it's power band, which makes using the power up there easier for me).

It's a nice feeling, to ride near the front of the pack through a ride, and keep going with a few of the other handlebars when the clip-ons have had their fill and are slabbing it home

Hurrah for the MT-01s, Griso's, and FZ-1's of the world (and a huzzah for my favorites, the various adv touring bikes).

We're seeing a new age for the motorcycle consumer, with legitamately fast bikes that are much more laid back and easy going.. I couldn't be happier
DannyZRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 05:39 PM   #3
SmokeU
Registered Member

Yossef RULES!!!

Love the bike, been a fan of Guzzi for quite some time. Well, as long as my 25 years could permit anyway. :-p
Old 09-16-2005, 05:49 PM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

What's up with Guzzi? Have they got 350,000 v-twin Guzzi blocks curing out in the lower 40 like GM does pushrod small blocks?

I mean sheesh, you'd think Moto Guzzi would get the hint after a three or four decades.

Can that big lump of a motor, or stick it in the frame sideways. Like (ahem) the City X.

Old 09-16-2005, 06:29 PM   #5
SmokeU
Registered Member

What's wrong with it sitting in the frame like it does?
Old 09-16-2005, 06:38 PM   #6
sv1000rider
Founding Member

Whoa! Is this the 90's? Motorcycle mags are putting Buell on top and then low and behold, the V10 Centauro is resurrected! What's next? A new Triumph triple sportbike?

(uhhh, wait a minute......)
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 07:28 PM   #7
theDuke
Founding Member

Yeah, it makes a ton of sense to have the motor mounted longitudinally in the frame, the cylinders are out in the airflow and the shaft drive can come straight back. Heck, BMW has done pretty well with a similar setup for some time.

Harley's arrangement is pretty odd, when one thinks about it. They need an awkward primary drive connection with the tranny and the rear cylinder is blocked from the airflow, not quite ideal for an air cooled engine though they make it work.
theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 08:44 PM   #8
dylanmo
Founding Member

Clearly, MO has hooahed themselves out for Guzzi's advertising money! Nothing else could explain the high praise for a machine with an ancient engine.
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 09:23 PM   #9
p3ga
Registered Member

Guzzi? Advertising money? Boy these guys must be easy AND cheap, lining their pockets with the $11 Guzzi has budgeted for marketing the Griso & Breva...

Come to think of it, that's been one of the problems (at least Stateside) for some time.

It took me 25 years of riding / racing before trying my first Guzzi - everyone will tell you they are definitely different, (they are) but for some reason, one can easily get attached to that ol' lump of a motor.

If you ever get a chance, ride one for a few hours; it takes that long to determine: 1) It ain't my cup of tea; or, 2) How the hell am I gonna afford another bike?

Good luck to you,

Phil
p3ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 10:57 PM   #10
gforces
Founding Member

Isn't an engine an engine an engine? pistons, valves, rods, and cranks in whatever configuration you want?

If it has modern fuel injection, newer materials, and is reliable as today's market dictates, does it matter how old the basic design is?

And, what do you suggest? That MG start making inline-four superbikes with full plastic? It would probably be a bad decision, as they're unique right now.
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote